I found the King C. Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Frank Shaves, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Frank Shaves

Frank Shaves Well-Known Member

I finally found the new King C. Gillette DE razor w/5 blades on sale at Wal-Mart. As a Gillette collector I guess I had to get it. ;) I won't be shaving until later today or tomorrow but so far; I like the look and feel of it. I have seen reviews of it and the users say it gives a pretty decent shave. Anybody else have one? If so, what are your thoughts? I have read that the head is a copy of another razor. I am also interested in trying the included Gillette blades. One day I'd like to get the new Heritage model if I ever see one pop up on sale or gently used.

IMG_20220921_112706.jpg

IMG_20220921_112841.jpg

IMG_20220921_112938.jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

nice shaver,blades are excellent in any of my gillettes.basically gillette platinum blades.i passed along the razor to a new de shaver/cart convert.

3. Frank Shaves

Nice to know. They sell a 10 pack of the blades for $8 but I will try out the ones that came with the razor before I shell out money for those. I can buy 100 Bic Chrome blades for $8. :rofl:

Hembree, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

the gillette platinums are cheap for 100 online also.my regular blade.:):eatdrink047:
    i do prefer the regular 3'' handle gillettes have.the king has a longer handle.

5. Frank Shaves

Thanks for the tip. I will look for the blades online if I like them. I too like the 3" handle on my old Gillette Techs. Holding the KCG the handle feels pretty nice, and I can keep my pinky on the bottom of it for support. Unlike the handle on my Wilkinson TTO which I find a bit long and cumbersome. Still gives a great shave though.

Here's the KCG with some other cheap razors in my new plastic bathroom organizer I picked up at the Dollar Tree. I am starting to have too many razors! :eek:

IMG_20220921_113500.jpg

6. brit

brit in a box

very cool.i took this pic then started downsizing..
    20210622_132115_edited1.jpg
    there are other members here who have way more..;):eatdrink047:

7. Frank Shaves

Hahaha! I remember that photo! Actually, I have 3 more razors coming in the mail.

This one called "The Caesar" from the "Roman Empire Shaving" company. The head looks very similar to the KCG one. It also comes with a nice assortment of 20 different blades. One of the packs are Gillette Platinum. All for $12.99 USD. :happy088:

Roman Empire Shaving Caesar - 1.jpg

Roman Empire Shaving Caesar - 2.jpg

Roman Empire Shaving Caesar - 5.jpg

I also have a vintage gold Gillette Tech and a Gillette Stirling razor made in India on the way as discussed in the Dollar Tree 3-piece razor thread.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A fleet of razors.

9. brit

brit in a box

very cool.:cool:my grandad was a gillette man since the 1930s so it fueled my passion for collecting british gillettes.while i am down from over 100 to around 40, over half are techs.i still collect the odd one now.my friend's collection grew considerably;)

10. brit

brit in a box

yes sir.that pic was cased ones,then there were the user grade daily drivers.it was overwhelming..:scared011:

Hembree and Frank Shaves like this.
  11. Frank Shaves

First shave with the KCG. I used one of the included Gillette blades. Not bad. I had about 1.5 days of beard growth and did 3 passes and it gives as good a shave as any of my old Gillette Techs. I did take me awhile to get used to how to grip the handle since the knurling is only in the middle but after that it was fine. No cuts and very little irritation. Very close shave. Soap used was the Proraso in the green tub. Brush used was a vintage Made Rite 649. Finished off with a splash of Thayer's face toner and Skin Bracer.

IMG-20220922-103334.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s, Hembree and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

awesome.:):eatdrink047:

Frank Shaves and Hembree like this.
  13. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Amateur! :happy102:

brit and Frank Shaves like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

:happy097::eatdrink047:

Frank Shaves likes this.
  15. StewB

StewB Member

My understanding is that the KCG is basically a rebranded Edwin Jagger DE89/Mühle R89 with etching on the top cap and a different handle. Not a bad mild razor but I tend to prefer a shorter handle with better grip.

16. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I bet it uses the same head as the Gillette Heritage Travel Razor (on Amazon). If so, it should give a decent shave with a wide variety of blades.
    :)
    - Bax

17. brit

brit in a box

the heads do look slightly different between the 2..the heritage looks like a muhle head.

Frank Shaves likes this.
  18. Frank Shaves

I bought a cheap ($3.50) DE razor at a local discount store and ditched the head and base plate but kept the handle. It fits the KCG just fine. It has better knurling and is shorter. Much easier to handle when wet and slippery. It's also not as heavy.

IMG_20220930_183529.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s, Herm2502 and brit like this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I found the Gillette to be much like the R89, very mild.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

20. wheatshocker

wheatshocker Guest

Are the threads on head compatible with other handles like Razorock Bulldog? I thought I read somewhere that KCG had incompatible head/handle threads with other 'European' type razor handle standard threading, so they wouldn't be interchangeable.