I guess I missed the boat on the Plisson

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Justin Linker, Jan 27, 2015.

1. branford

branford New Member

I would note a few points about the hoarders and re-sellers:

1. We engage in a niche and fun hobby. The majority of us are welcoming, supporting and gentlemanly. Not all of us are wealthy. The availability of the Plisson Cade at $30 was an excellent opportunity for wet shavers, new and old, to try a great synthetic brush. The actions of those few individuals who buy-up stock to resell at a mark-up deny other wet shavers significant opportunity and value. The conduct is generally legal and capitalistic, but it does not make it right or good.

2. The brush has gone out-of-stock for periods before, some short, some long. It has always returned. I would be most pleased if the brush again appeared on the L'Occitane website or in stores before the hoarder was able to sell any of his new acquisitions. Karma would triumph over law and profit.

3. The price that the hoarder could charge on the L'Occitane Cade brushes is still somewhat limited. Since the same knot is still available on many great and impressive handles directly from L'Occitance, the marked-up price will generally be capped at the cost of a Plisson direct brush.

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It seems I am probably the only one who feels the way I do about this so this will be my last post on the topic :)

It also doesn't make it bad.

I really, really don't see what 'Karma' implications there is here. It's not taking bread from a hungry child - it's a luxury item with plenty of similar options out there.

The potential mark-up for something like this is maybe 20 bucks. Maybe.
    For one person wanting to spend $30 bucks on a brush paying $50 instead might not be a significant deal.
    If someone wanted it bad enough they should had gone and bought one in the month(s) that it has been on sale for $30 and not do some 'offended on behalf of others'-act.

For the person taking the RISK and putting down his own money on the gamble and buying, say. 100 brushes he could stand to make $2,000 or so.
    He could also make zilch.

Not to mention - this is a discontinued item with little to no remaining stock. It's not like generations of shavers are now being robbed out of an opportunity to buy this brush at the sale price it held.
    Maybe next time I go to eBay and look at an item that used to sell for $10 when it was being sold - but is now being sold for $15 I should email the seller and argue about him selling it for more just because it's not made anymore. I should argue that bad karma is coming his way.

I root for the hoarder.

/End of my pro-capitals rant for luxury items no one needs

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    clint64 likes this.
  3. branford

branford New Member

@Darkbuld, I certainly have no objections to capitalism, and did not suggest or imply that the hoarding and reselling should be made illegal or otherwise prohibited or that anyone who truly wants the brush, and is willing to pay the asking price, should not pay. Most importantly, I did not suggest that anyone needs the L'Occitance, or that similar, but certainly not equivalent, brushes are available. These issues are mostly besides the point.

I do not view this circumstance purely in the realm of economics, and care not one whit whether the hoarder has taken any risk. Simply, I view wet shaving as niche, and quite gentlemanly hobby, where we generally endeavor to encourage and assist fellow wet shavers in trying products, old and new, while maintaining value, particularly for those whom an extra $20, your suggested mark-up, is meaningful. I come to the forums to discuss, explore and share a beloved hobby, not just engage in commerce.

Manufacturers and vendors are free to charge whatever they wish for their products, and the market will usually sort it out. However, the hoarder's intentional purchase of all remaining stock of a current product that is highly sought after is undoubtedly opportunistic, inconsiderate and selfish, and is designed to artificially create scarcity in the market at the expensive of his fellow wet shavers. If a current vendor acted similarly, I would imagine such a vendor would be boycotted. Other than the opportunity for fellow wet shavers to try the brush, that is precisely why I hope that it is returned online and in stores sooner, rather than later. If the hoarder is forced to take a significant loss, it will hopefully act as a deterrent to such activity in the future.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

What I like about the atmosphere on this forum is that even though I disagree with almost everything you say - I'd still be happy to lend you a 5 pack of blades if you'd ever need it :)

spacehobo, ps1160 and Omaney like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Without the hype received on forums for this brush it would not be highly sought. The fact is that this brush has been available for sometime and at even higher prices before the recent price reduction. Had someone truly wanted the brush they have had more than ample opportunity to purchase one. Those buying these brushes for resale are not robbing the store to get them but paid retail price in hopes of making a profit. They are also not holding a gun to someone's head making them buy the brush now. Good on them if they can make a nickle. Maybe the brush will be back in stock but maybe not. There are and will be other synthetic brushes. Within a couple of months the forums will hype up the next must have synthetic brush.

grump, GDCarrington and Darkbulb like this.
  6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

No, you're not.

Darkbulb and clint64 like this.
  7. branford

branford New Member

Respectfully, you're making a straw man argument. I have certainly not suggested that the hoarder's conduct is akin to robbing the store or holding a gun to anyone's head to buy the brush. I also fail to see how the fact that the brush has been available for some time changes any of my prior points. Regardless of the purported hype, the many very positive reviews of the brush speak for themselves.

You focus on how it's great that the hoarder might make a profit. However, that is not the nature of my objections. Most individuals who spend the time on the forums do so out of love for the hobby of wet shaving, not out of profit motive or to conduct commerce. Before this discussion, I assumed that most members wanted and encouraged new and old shavers to try new and products and the best possible value. I believe creating an artificial scarcity in the market by purchasing all the stock and then reselling at an indeterminate mark-up runs contrary to the more gentlemanly nature of our hobby.

Again, I have not suggested that the hoarder face sanction, legal or otherwise. In the spirit of capitalism, I simply wish for the brush to soon be available again from L'Occitane in order that it have the widest possible availability at the lowest price for those who want the try it. If the hoarder suffers a financial loss, and such conduct is therefore discouraged in the future, it's just a bonus.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My life will go on, with or without this sought-after Plisson. ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Branford it is good to see you around on the Den!

One thing I think that we that are on forums sometime forget is that people who are non-forum members can read, understand product trends, and go out and purchase these items. Many times these individuals are interested in making profit on many different items without any allegiance to the product or people who use them. Many of your e-Bay sellers just happen to be composed of these "Professional Sellers" whether it is Pawn Shops, Antique Shops. etc. who will find a trend and snap up as much as they can. This has been going on long before traditional shaving was even invented and men wore long beards. The "Professional Sellers" tend to know one thing, to sell. So that is their goal.

This is a great discussion and I have enjoyed reviewing it and being a part of it. Thanks Gents!

clint64 likes this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Your post very eloquently made the point I was trying to make.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

I really disagree. Me, and several other people I know, got rid of much more expensive brushes because the Plisson synthetic was better - regardless of price. I personally prefer the Plisson to brushes I have used that are over $150.

Chris Bailey (The Shaving Evangelist on Youtube) got rid of his Rudy Vey and Thater brushes because he liked the Plisson better. It isn't for everyone, but a lot of us think it is an exceptional brush at any price.

I do agree that the handle is boring, so I got a new handle. But the knot is perfect for me.

BigMark likes this.
  12. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I intended to purchase the $30 Plisson on eBay (thanks for the link by the way) and inquired about shipping costs. They replied that the eBay purchases are not shipped but delivered by a courier from their store. Below is my answer from L'Occitane...........

Thank you for your inquiry. To clarify, this item does not have a shipping option but rather same-day or scheduled delivery via a messenger. Unfortunately you do not live within one of our delivery zones and this service will be unavailable to you. We apologize for any inconvenience; we hope to be expanding to your area soon.
    Since we do not deliver to your local area, I would recommend checking out your local Loccitane store to see if they still have this item available. You can find their information here:
    Address: Walden Galleria, 1 Walden Galleria, Buffalo, NY 14225
    Phone:(716) 684-2100

Our same day delivery items are located in certain geographic regions; shown only to customers within these areas.

To help us improve our product could you please tell us of how you found this particular listing?
    Could you also please share your zip code and the zip code you were intending to use for the delivery. Also were you searching on WEB or Mobile?
    Thank you for your time.
    Best,
    Shayla, eBay Now
    - ebaynow_from_loccitane

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  13. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

price does not always equal value as your post so explains.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You are quite entitled to do so, but which of my statements are you in disagreement?
    • At $30, it seems to be priced right. —$30 seems to be an effective price to move the product.
    • it is obviously a fine synthetic brush, although the diminutive, stubby handle may be perhaps a bit small for some folks —good brush, handle not for everyone
    • In hindsight, one wonders if this brush had started out with an MSRP of $30 whether or not it would have 'caught fire' in the way it has. Probably not, as every buyer likes to feel they're getting a deal.— speculative, but the power of 'sale price' and 'limited quantity' can be prime motivators (not exclusively) in purchasing, regardless of the quality of the product.
    No slam on the quality of the Plisson brush, Many here have them and rave about the brush.
    My comments have more to do with the reasons behind the current forum frenzy spurred on by the lower price, forum hype and the limited availability. As mentioned earlier, the brush has been around for some time.

grump and GDCarrington like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Me like brush.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Me know, me read review. Me no have brush tho.

grump, Slipperyjoe and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Me sell used brush to Mr. Holy for $55. Special price my friend. No more brushes. Hard to find my friend.

Oh man, I need this coffee to kick in soon....

grump and Slipperyjoe like this.
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Gents go look at this photo in this link and concentrate on that coffee kicking in! ;)

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/sos-february-2-2015-february-8-2015.42989/page-19#post-786428

grump, clint64 and Darkbulb like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. grump

grump Well-Known Member

I missed the boat but I am going to have a fun ride on the tube!

BigMark and GDCarrington like this.