I have a pretty stupid question :( lol

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by JDro, Jan 17, 2016.

1. JDro

JDro Member

Right now I'm using the Muhle aftershave balm and I really like it. I'm a super-newb only done 4-5 shaves total so far with this whole new venturing out thing lol and have been using Speick shaving cream so far. I also have a tub of TOBS waiting to be tried...

Anyway, looking already into different products, nervous I'm addicted already....

I like the muhle balm but am unsure if the sort of lotiony feeling is what I want or if a splash is better. So here's the dumb question....IS a "splash" also a lotion? I envisioned it more like a thin liquid like an astringent consistency almost yknow like something you SPLASH on your face but a lot of products proraso and speick both advertise and have great reviews for their aftershave splashes that either have (lotion) in parenthesis or vice versa lotion (splash)

So is that going to end up the same consistency and not-all-that-different from the balm product I already have?

Thanks for reading and thanks for any replies!

Marverel likes this.
  2. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Not a dumb question at all - quite a few people are confused by the terminology.

Basically "Splash" and "Lotion" are the same - thin liquid, mostly alcohol based. Aftershave "lotion" has nothing in common with something like body "lotion", as one might think.
    All the "creamy" aftershave stuff is called balm.

I use Speick lotion myself and recommend it. Good skincare and smells nice. But it will most likely burn for a few seconds when applied - lotions usually do, balms usually don't.
    I also like the Proraso white balm, because it's pretty much on the runny side, very thin for a balm, and great skincare as well. I hate greasy, viscous stuff ;)

swarden43 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. JDro

JDro Member

Thank you!! So it IS what I'm thinking of like an atringent almost water-like texture?

I do like the Muhle balm but looking for something else that is very different kinda the opposite side of the spectrum.

I really enjoy the natural-ness of the Speick shaving cream so I think I will definitely now pick up the AS and see. Thanks for the info!!

Marverel likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good answer on all points.

Marverel and Jayaruh like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

Marverel likes this.
  6. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

Speick also makes a wonderful shaving soap stick. If you want to try a hard soap, it's great stuff.