I just purchased my last shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Mr. Wonderful, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wow...and wow.....

2. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Active Member

Just ordered this............Aqua de Colonia Barberia Luxury Shaving Cream (200mls) Has anyone used it??

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I haven't used it yet but I hear very good things about it especially the scent and skin conditioning. You can't be stopped, can you?

4. Mr. Wonderful

All in good fun.......................I do give a lot of the stuff away to family and friends though.

Shamrock and Omelmad like this.
  5. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

So I've been wondering, do you earn a little bit more than the average person? :scared011:

6. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

As TWGW says, you will run out of face before you run out of product

7. Mr. Wonderful

I'm the Director of Interstate Capital Projects at the New Jersey Port Authority. So yes, I earn a little more than the average individual. My salary is $34,456.00 a year but with kickbacks and under the table deals my annual income is somewhere around $2M. Of course, I have to split this with the Governor.

feeltheburn, vwp528, Omelmad and 4 others like this.
  8. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

LMAO - nice... :D

9. Mr. Wonderful

This just arrived and I don't even remember ordering it.............

LePere.jpg

Attached Files:

Omelmad likes this.
  10. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Mr. Wonderful - is it possible for you to narrow things down to, say, your favorite 5 soaps or so? Just curious what appeals to you. I see a lot of very fine products there. I assume you've been at this for a while, to have collected even a 1/3 of what you say you have. Surely a few have stood out to you over the years. What are they, if I may ask?

11. Mr. Wonderful

Please understand that "best" is a singular opinion. Shave products can be technically defined but are affected by distinct user perceptions such a technique, water supply, scent preferrence et. al. My personal 5 favorite soaps/creams (although I like a lot more) are:

Acqua di Parma
    Penahligons Blenheim Bouquet
    Nancy Boy Signature Shave Cream
    Martin de Candre
    Xpec

2nd five would include:

Art of Shaving Creams and soaps (both excellent products)
    Mitchells Wool Fat
    Truefitt and Hill Grafton
    Castle Forbes
    Trumpers Coconut Cream

With the above said, there are still lots of quality soaps from artisan (read small) soap makers such as Mike's Natural Soap and LA Shaving. Bottom line is to experiment
    as often as your wallet permits.

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  12. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I don't know if I'm thick, but what do u mean by that? =P

Having alot of choices is nice, as far as space goes you can display your products on shelf systems like the ones in the pictures. [​IMG][​IMG]

You might need a little ladder while browsing though. [​IMG]

13. jeraldgordon

Mr. Wonderful - Thank you for taking the time to compile that list. Of course the individual factors you describe are assumed. I was eager to hear products, that made your upper echelon, that I had not tried yet. Curiously, I have never tried any of your top 5!

If you would be willing, I would love to hear where you will place the Le Pere Lucien on your list once you've tried it. It is constantly compared to Martin de Candre, which I have yet to try.

Great pictures, by the way.

14. Mr. Wonderful

I will try Father Lucien later this week and will report.

15. jeraldgordon

In my den he's Poppa Luke...

16. CyanideMetal

Not a single RazoRock soap breaks your top 10??

Off with his head!!!!!

Omelmad and jeraldgordon like this.
  17. jeraldgordon

But, he's not some crank espousing the supposed virtues of William's either! (stated with all affection and respect!)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  18. CyanideMetal

His top 5 are no slouches, but c'mon. I'd have vintage Williams in there too.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As with DE razor blade preferences, the style and brand of shaving soap is definitely a YMMV situation.
    One can view other's lists of 'favorites'—but do consider that 'one size (or soap type) doesn't fit all.'
    IF I see a certain trend in user's listings where a particular product gets unanimous praises, I am more inclined to try this product.
    In the past, this has enabled me to sample some really nice shaving products I enjoyed, but I would be fibbing if I stated that my experiences with ALL types of recommended soaps, blades, or razors, etc., matched the joyful harmony of other reviewers.

20. Mr. Wonderful

well said