I just purchased my last shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Mr. Wonderful, Feb 7, 2014.

1. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

I feel like I should take a lot of what Mr. Wonderful says with a grain of salt. Maybe by "419" he means "a lot."

FWIW (not much, I know), I currently have two RazoRock soaps, one Mystic Water soap, and one Stirling soap.

Yeah, and that's all.

2. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Active Member

I apologize for the incorrect #. My real number is now 426 since I purchased 7 more soaps since the last post.

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

RazoRock???

4. Mr. Wonderful

Believe it or not I pulled out of the drawer a tub of Morrocan RazoRock and shaved with it. Middling performance, not bad, not great.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Hah. I was going to ask how many more you purchased since starting this thread.

Out of your stock, do you have a favorite Rose scented soap?

6. Mr. Wonderful

My favorite is an old old product: Trumper's Rose Shave Cream in a tube. Very good product. I like Rose products very much as I use Trumper's Rose (Called Coral)skin food, and a use the rose scented witch hazel from Thayers.

I was rummaging through one of my storage bins and came across the Castle Forbes product line (I have it all). I used their cedarwood shave cream and after shave balm yesterday. CF makes very very good products. I remember being impressed the first time I used them and they are still as good as I remember. The cedarwood smells just like a cedar shoetree I have and I love it...although that is a singular opinion in my family.

PanChango likes this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

The TFS (Famiglia Line). True. Not the best RR soap, but I've never tried a bad one. XXX and ABDCA are the best 2 in my o.

8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

was this some kind of internal joke that I didn't understand? =P

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I bet.. your.. home... smells AMAZING! O.O

10. snatale42

snatale42 New Member

I dont know if I want to tell you that you have a problem.....or that your awesome. I think im going with awesome

11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Seems normal to me.

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Brings up a question for me - what is the non-refrigerated shelf-life for shaving soap?
    I assume it differs if the soap is tallow, glycerin, etc based...?

13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

About the same as a Twinkie®.

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Should be good until about 2039 then.

But reason for asking I know people that sell the larger croap blocks of Cella for instance recommends dark, cool place, etc so obviously there is so risk of it aging bad.

15. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Twinkies don't lather worth a damn.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've never heard of keeping a soap in the fridge. All mine get stored in a cabinet, each in their own glass bowl, sealed in zip lock bags.

I've also never heard of a soap going bad. I have many soaps that are 4-5 years old - to include tallow and glycerin, etc. based ;).
    I have a vintage puck of Old Spice and a vintage puck of Colgate Barber's Soap, both lather up great and provide an excellent lather.
    Same with my creams, two at about 6 years old. Even have a vintage tube of Tom's of Maine (I'm figuring 25 years, give or take) that still smells great and lather up real nice!

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Cella. The oils go rancid. Don't suppose it makes it unusable (you are shaving with it, not eating it), but it sure stinks.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  18. swarden43

Good to know. Do you think refrigeration would help?

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    It would extend, but not halt, the oils from going rancid, IF you were lucky enough to get a tub before they go rancid.

20. swarden43

And since it takes me so long to go through soap, Cella will not be an option.