I may have to re-think brushless creams...

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by omegapd, Jul 21, 2009.

1. theologist

theologist New Member

I'm with you!

Having said that, Cremo does do the job very well and if I'm going on a quick trip, that's what I'll toss into the bag. Despite some wisdom to the contrary, it lathers with a brush quite well if you don't use too much water.

2. herzi

herzi Active Member

You really should do this. It's unscented or almost unscented. I think the odour is somewhere near LEA ASB.

Shaved with Barbasol brushless twice and I like it. Flowery scent and good performance.

Teiste, if you can get to Elche try to get a tub of Crema Turista. Fabulous brushless cream. But it's only for the local market, no online selling.

3. mpt

mpt New Member

Cremo

I've been an on again, off again user of Cremo. I've tried so hard to like this product, but there are a couple of flaws that I just cannot overcome.

First, the stuff evaporates quickly, no matter how little, or how much water you use. One of the top ingredients is alcohol, which is probably the reason. As the cream dries on your face very rapidly, it becomes very sticky. You have to constantly rub it in again and again. Very annoying. Plus, as you know it dries so quickly, you might tend to rush. That is never a good idea. I find myself trying to beat the 'dry', and surely it is counter productive.

Although the initial glide and lubrication is very good, the overall protective qualities of this cream are very mediocre. I surely get more weepers with this cream than just about any other.

Bottom line is that this product might be good for those with a light beard that cuts easily, but not for anyone that really needs a good lather for a tough beard. Although I get a good shave with Cremo, the extra work and lack of adequate protection has forced me to eliminate this product from my rotation.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Cetearyl Alcohol is not an alcohol as most people know it.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. Goby

Goby New Member

Brushless creams are evil. I won't use them, and you shouldn't either!!!

But seriously, ALBA is great, except I really, really, really miss putting it in the bowl, smelling the smells, and watching it transform to pure wonderfulness. Oh, and the feeling when the badger brush applies said wonderfulness on my face......

Yep, brushless creams are evil......

ischiapp likes this.
  6. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Good afternoon, everybody.

I had good results with KMF, except that my skin cannot handle, I assume, the patchouli oil in the bottle I chose (I've yet to try the unscented.)

There's one recently produced by Edge that was really lousy, in my experience.

7. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I used HeadSlick for years before I ever bought a brush and it has worked wonderfully. And when I say that I've been using it for years, I mean that I've been using the same bottle for years. A little bit really goes a long way! Works nicely with a brush, too!

Maybe I've just gotten used to it, but I find that it doesn't smell like much of anything when applying it with my fingers. However, lathering it with a brush really brings out the menthol.

8. TuttoItaliaOnline

TuttoItaliaOnline New Member

Noxzema is a great cream! And it comes in different sorts. You can use the yellow with cacobytter and vitamin E or the white one with less menthol. I think these Noxzema creams do a pretty good job.

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. herzi

herzi Active Member

Welcome TuttoItaliaOnline.

As far as I know the Noxzemas are canned lathers. Here we talk about tubed creams that don't lather. Perhaps you know l'Erbolario SC. This is what we talk about and it's a good non lathering SC.

10. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

I have a tube of the Burt's Bee latherless shaving cream and actually like it a lot :)

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The only Noxzema cream I can say I really enjoy is the discontinued lather cream in the 150 ml tube. I still have several, and although I rarely use them, it's my absolute favorite of all shaving creams. This is what it looks like.

Attached Files:

• nox.jpg
      nox.jpg
      File size:
      58.2 KB
      Views:
  12. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

:signs011:

Me too, I do not like brushless creams.
    But sometime I'm really, really, really late.
    Here a brushless comes in handy.

I prefer the super easy and totally cheap medical gel.
    Produced as an ultrasound conductor, it is easily found in drug stores.
    Totally fragrance-free, it offers the advantage of complete transparency.
    No conditioning ability of the skin, but maximum primary lubrication (even if the secondary is absent).
    Super effective, the q/p ratio is hard to beat.

For me it is the perfect emergency tool in daily routine, like the matching razor.
    The result is guaranteed in the shortest possible time.
    A near BBS, in just a couple of minutes.
    Better with the "One Pass Shave" technique.
    http://ilrasoio.com/viewtopic.php?t=7786

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

How ya doin' @crackstar? :).