I need help.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Kraken98, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Kraken98

Kraken98 Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed wet shaving using safety razors quite a lot in fact I shave daily where when I used cartridge razors I'd shave once maybe twice a week and was generally an unshaven mess of patchy facial hair. Yet despite that I have a single area which I've used this pic to highlight where it is that no matter what if it's a cartridge razor, DE, I've even had my barber take a freshly sharpened straight to it it always pulls and hurts. I use new blades I'm gentler and slower in that area I can't figure it out. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Something I can do to fix this issue? Shaving daily helps but it's still got that tugging pinching feeling.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Edison Carter likes this.
  2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Have you mapped your beard grain out? Some guys are very consistent, others have the grain growing in all sorts of directions! I’m wondering if this patch is like that for you, and needs to be shaved in different directions than other parts of your face.

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

My thoughts as well.

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

5. Kraken98

The grain all apears to go downwards but I've gone at it at different directions just in case with no affect.

6. jeraldgordon

Hmmm. No particular skin issues? Acne, rosacea, other problems? How many passes do you make? Always go with the grain 1st pass, then try across grain 2nd pass. No pressure - let the razor do the work. By the way, what razor are you using daily? This might be an area where you just have to go easy and settle for slight stubble when you run your hand across it.

RyX and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Kraken98

Nothing really in that area. I have issues with acne but that comes and goes and when I have it I'm careful or avoid those areas till it goes away. I normally make 3 With, against ,across.

8. jeraldgordon

Change it up - with across, across the other way...

RyX, Kraken98 and Edison Carter like this.
  9. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

@Kraken98 ... it pulls, tugs as if the facial hair is more stubborn there? I’m curious about the brand of DE blades you’re using?

RyX, Edison Carter and jeraldgordon like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Try a MUCH shallower angle. "Ride the cap" as they say.

11. Kraken98

I've been using persona blue but I've recently purchased some sample packs to test out new blades

RyX and Enrico like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

For me, that was why I stopped using the Personna Blue and went to GSB and Polsilvers.

Kraken98 likes this.
  14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have a similar issue in almost the same area. The only way I can get a close shave there is to start at the 4 o'clock position and go to the 10 o'clock position. Any other direction does not work.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018