I never really thought about it

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark83, Feb 12, 2019.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I never really thought about it but the three manufacturers of Safety Razors in the U.S. were all located in the upper northeast. Gillette is in Boston, Schick is in Milford, CT, and A.S.R, who made Gem razors is in Brooklyn. I know it makes sense to a certain extent because this is part of the oldest part of the country. I just think it's interesting. Anyone else? Because of that, and the shave, The Krona is probably my most treasured razor.

AGHisBBS, RaZorBurn123, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

That's true of a lot of old hand tools more generally. Forges and long hot summers not a good mix before air conditioning?

brit and BigMark83 like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Not safety razors but Dixie Manufactoring Co. made straight razors in Union City, Georgia.

brit and BigMark83 like this.
  4. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

It is similiar in Canada due to European settlement and trading patterns. Those patterns made us an eastern-directed country in order to supply goods to the empire--whether British, French, etc...

5. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Same with most of the arms manufacturers: Colt, Remington, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Winchester, Springfield, etc. all originated in the northeast.

6. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Yet, many of their blades are made elsewhere. Gillette Silver Blues are made in Russia. I don't use the other two so can't speak for them.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  7. BigMark83

I meant 60 plus years ago.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

MntnMan62 and Frijolero like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm sure it had to be due to the lovely winter weather, kept shipping lanes open. :)
    Wasn't the majority of the population in the East?
    Good question/thought. I like the deepness

Frijolero and brit like this.
  9. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Only because demand in the US for DE blades has dropped off dramatically since the 70’s while demand still continues in other parts of the world. It caused Gillette/P&G to relocate or sell off their DE blade manufacturing machinery.

BigMark83 and Frijolero like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

When the Industrial Revolution made its way to the US from Great Britain, it began in the Northeast. That was an amazing time in our country's history, BTW. From that perspective, it makes sense that DE razor manufacturing got its start in that part of the country.

brit, BigMark83 and Frijolero like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  12. BigMark83

The Cackalacky Kid strikes again.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

i think this was in more recent times ..

14. MntnMan62

Yes. I get that now as others have pointed that out. Sometimes I'm not so swift.

BigMark83 and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

all is good sir ..a year ago i had no clue about blade manufacture and where. uninformed is more like ..

16. MntnMan62

When it comes to blades, I just know which ones I like, or more to the point, which ones my face likes.

BigMark83 and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

that is really what matters. but we as historians like the knowledge of where stuff was from..;)

MntnMan62 likes this.