I never see anyone using Mama Bear Soap in SOTD. Why?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tim Spencer, Jul 1, 2019.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree with what you say about glycerine soaps. As I only have one Mama Bear soap, Obsessed, I do have about eight or nine Love my Skin soaps, all glycerin. Great selection of scents and I don't have a problem producing a large volume of lather with any brush type. Plus they are very inexpensive compared to other soaps.

2. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that soaps (or any shave gear) had to reach a minimum standard to be posted in a SOTD thread or photo. Here I thought you could just join in with whatever you were shaving with that day. To be part of a fellowship of shaving enthusiasts. I must be out of my mind. I used to belong to a really large shaving forum that began to suffer from alot of elitism. Sure hope that doesn't happen here, because occasionally these people that have made an effort to make something visit these forums, and read these not so subtle disparaging comments about their work.
    I wonder how that would make them feel?
    I know what I think.
    I'm glad I've never made any SOTD posts. Whew....dodged that bullet.

Jayaruh, Jrdelgado, brit and 3 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am sorry you feel that way, @Laird
    There isn't a 'minimum standard'. How many times do we see Arko, Williams, Aqua Velva, an Omega boar, Mennen, Colonel Conk, or even a Trac II! (to name a few), in an SOTD photo?
    I am a member of 5 shave fora and TSD is the most unassuming, non-judgmental, welcoming of them all and I will continue to support it as long as I can. BTW, I have never, ever even considered making a donation to any other shave forum.
    I know this is a thread-hijack, and I apologize, but I had to speak up and defend it and its terrific members.

Ursa, jtspartan, Jrdelgado and 15 others like this.
  4. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm not a member of any other shave forum (at least not yet). I feel that I got lucky to make this forum a regular place and I can vouch for your statement that this is a very welcoming, non-judgemental place. I have some spiffy looking shaving sets, but I also love cheap, low-cost shaves and gear as well. I like to mix it up. It keeps things interesting.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

TSD is and always has been a place to discuss Wet Shaving. While we strive to maintain a high standard of Gentelmanly behavior, sometimes folks get offended by others comments. Let the moment pass. Take a deep breath. Go make a lather of your favorite soap and enjoy a shave! There...back to our normal accepting, all inclusive, sharing selves? OK, carry on!

Ursa, jtspartan, Jrdelgado and 9 others like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

good soap works good.
    great great soap works great.
    if i own it i will use it up.
    what i don't like i don't post..
    if i don't like it i won't buy it again..
    if it's crap i will say but in a kind way..like ,it's not for me..
    i also research the hell out of something before i buy it..including others reviews here..
    fantastic forum with great people here..
    i like honest reviews..as should the people that make and sell products..just my 2 pence..
    amazon will make anything look good..

7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have joined three. To be honest, I like this one the best. I am quickly exiting one other, but will likely continue with B&B (hope it is not an issue mentioning the site).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jtspartan, Jrdelgado, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I've never gotten to try Mama Bears soaps before but I have used Humphrey Handmade. A little smaller puck but cheaper. I have no issues using a glycerin based soap vs tallow or otherwise. Shave with what you like. :)

Jrdelgado, Hembree, cliffb599 and 3 others like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

TSD has a set of Rules, but mentioning other Shave Forums in not forbidden.
    We're here to talk about shaving related subjects. I had my own experience with them. Still visit when they come up in a Google search, just not a member now.

10. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I am always a bit cautious.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jrdelgado, RyX, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've never tried it, but I was spoiled due to trying Stirling Soap Co. when I first got in to DE shaving. I've tried others once in a while, but generally use a puck of Stirling or can of Barbasol ((when in a rush) sometime even when I'm not)).

It's your face ...... use what ever that makes you happy! :)

:eatdrink013:

Jrdelgado, Hembree, brit and 4 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I tried a sample years ago, remember it being ok. I remember it was once a ‘hot’ soap and all over the shaving boards. It was true of many, there tends to be a focus on the latest new soap and the old traditional soaps. I remember when Mike’s was in every other post and now I just see it occasionally.

jtspartan, Jrdelgado, brit and 4 others like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Mama bear was a founding member of this forum, FYI.

The world of wet shaving has gone mainstream, and by and large, that's a good thing. When I joined this forum, it was a bunch of people who collected and used old razors. Tradere and Weber were still in business, and iKon was just getting started. Mama Bear's soaps were already in decline then. There were just too many better soaps out there, including the shave den's own soaps, made by @Queen of Blades and every day it seemed there was another soap manufacturer getting started. Very few lasted long. There's just too much competition. I'm frankly surprised the mama bear brand is still around.

14. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

There are to many artisan shaving soaps on the market, it's got to be hard on some of the lesser known companies, I also think that a lot of people look at wet shaving as retro and are attracted to the more retro and hipster type branding. I have one of their soaps and I enjoy it, it's a solid product.

15. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I also have and continue to use mine. ( Aged Spice )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

The is no inherent inferiority in melt and pour soaps. They are simply soaps which had an extra solvent added during saponification. It is the oils, fats and types of lye used to create soap, along other additives, which alter the characteristics of the soap, as well as its skin feel during and after use. There is no one magic base formula to make a perfect soap. Add the right ingredients to an mild melt and pour soap and you can alter its characteristics dramatically, giving it more slip, more moisturizing and so forth.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    RyX, Jrdelgado, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Well said Primo! The people here at TSD are much more laid back and understand YMMV when it comes to anything reguarding this hobby. You do not have to have a $400 razor to fit in around here whatever works best for you is really all that matters, posting thoughts and opinions can help others decide what to put on their "wishlist" but jut because a product worked for them does not mean your luck would be the same as we all have different skin types/beard types, etc.

jtspartan, RyX, Jrdelgado and 6 others like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Bullfeathers.

Anybody who thinks the newest best fancy high price product is that much better then the old main stays is out of there mind. I have been on this forum for more then a few minutes. A lot of us use all different kind of stuff. We just don't feel the need to post using high dollar stuff to feel good about ourselves.

Ursa, jtspartan, brit and 5 others like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Out-blooming- standing post!

brit, RyX, Jrdelgado and 3 others like this.
  20. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

I knew this thread would come down to the haves and have nots.

I never mentioned price once. Evolution of shave soap shows a few things. Introduction of many different types of animal fats as well as various butters. Also, a tub of soap lasts 6-12 months. If spending $24 instead of $12 over a year is a back breaker then buy cheap soap. Cheap soap is cheap for a reason if we want to bring dollars into it. Those reasons are evident in shave quality and post shave feel and I guess by those two items MB soaps is a cheap soap.

Like I said. Like it then use it. But as far as the main question of the thread.........its not a SOTD soap except for a small group of wetshavers.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

RyX, Jrdelgado and cliffb599 like this.