I want to buy a flashlight

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Lyrt, Nov 9, 2008.

1. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Well, a mag does not have variable output levels (though it does have variable focus). The incandescent version of it is woefully underpowered. The LED version is inferior in every way to other LED based lights. It is longer than he wants (unless you go to the mini-mag, which is even more underpowered) as well.

The pride and enjoyment of quality lives far past the fleeting joy of low price. Mags are the Mach-3 of the flashlight world. Just because the marketing tells you it's the best, well....

Lyrt...besides the E2d, you might want to look into the offerings from Novatac (www.novatac.com) They are even smaller, and there are a few choices of model. For your use, either the E or T model sounds ideal. The P model, while programmable and very flexible, might be a bit more than you want to deal with, as a non-hobbyist. If you want to spend the $, the Ra twisty is nearly indestructable and very simple in all versions. www.ralights.com He is also coming out with a clicky, but it could be a while.

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

He wants to change a tire, not go spelunking. $100, $200, $400 for a flashlite is a bit much.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Before this thread I had no idea it was even possible to spend that much on a flashlight. Whow! Thank goodness I got a nearly new Mag Lite last week when they cleaned out the lost & found at work. :cool:

4. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Oh, man, for caving, then I'd get into the really crazy stuff!
    There is no doubt that one can get by with less.
    One can usually get away with tools that are less expensive than the very good ones. Flashlights tend to be one of the areas in which I CHOOSE not too, becasue I enjoy using the ones that I feel are a great example of the art of the tool.
    Oh, and he said it was to be used in "emergencies." In an emergency, i want to be able to rely on my tools with a great degree of comfort.

5. djwurm

djwurm New Member

hahaha.. I have a semi flashlight obsession. I have the Black Bear Borealis and it cost me almost 400 with a second set of batteries. I use it to hunt as it is brighter than any of those million to 2 million candlewatt power spotlights.

I think I have spend about 1500 on decent flashlights in the last 2 years.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I spent about $5 dollars on one of those 6volt lantern flashlights with a handle. It came with a battery that costs about the same on its own. Might as well just buy one for your car and a couple for the house. I've let rooms during blackouts, worked on my car with them, and have made my way through the woods with the thing. It gets the job done and may save you from another obsession.

7. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

I made my own, nearly identical set up. It's a 9.6v 1185, right? Great light. Best mix of runtime and CRAZY brightness I have in an incandescent. I put in a three-level switch, too, made it even more practical.

8. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Thank you guys, I’m hooked up on the Surefire. The only problem now is finding a retailer that will ship it to France. I’ll probably do business with them if nobody knows a reliable merchant that accepts international orders.

9. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Enjoy the surefire. It's a fantastic light.

10. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Holy crap, I had no idea there was such a thing as a $1000 flashlight! I have to admit that I really don't understand some obsessions we have - expensive flashlights, expensive pens. But, hey, who am I to talk? I spend a lot of money on shaving equipment! Still, though, I think $20 is the most I have ever spent on a flashlight - and yes, it was a maglite. That thing has been dropped more times than I can think of, submerged a couple of times, used as a makeshift hammer, etc., and it still turns on when I need it to.

11. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

It's another one of the insane hobbies out there. To get to $1,000, generally one finds custom work, titanium, and hand-assembled electronics pushing the limits of what is curretnly possible, and extremely limited availability. Check out the custom areas of candlepowerforums and customlightfactory.com some time if you feel like it.

12. minderasr

minderasr Member

Damn it. Now I have to buy a flashlight just to "keep up with the Jones'"? I can't afford anymore acquisition disorders!

:eek: :D

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

Haha, yea...........suddenly I find my flashlights to be inferior :o :rofl:rofl

This place has a decent price on the E2D LED, they ship International as well ;)

EDIT: The flashlight in the link above may be an older model, I am not sure......

14. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Hey, thank you, but $87 for shipping a 5.4'' inches flashlight is a bit much, all the more since the rotten Customs agents will tax BOTH the flashlight and the shipping fees.

15. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Good point, make sure you are getting the newer, 2-stage E2D.
    As for flashlights being "inferior," I know I talk a lot about the high end stuff, but in the really real world, as Michael said, if it gets the jobs you need done, done...it works.
    There is always another step up, brighter, smaller, insane light.

16. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Wow! I still don't have FAD and I still get my flashlights at Walmart!

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

WOW,

Sorry Yukio....bad suggestion....I do have to admit I did not check their prices on International shipping.....but that is Insane! :eek: :shocked003

18. Padron

Padron Active Member

This is a great little flashlight, I just took in outside in the darkness and it throws the light very far in a nice tight beam.....:D

Impressive ;)

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Neale, Neale, Neale.............:rolleyes:

You are apparently highly susceptible to ADs. We might have to work on getting you banned.........................

from the internet.

20. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hahahaha, :o I am actually pretty good at resisting many of the AD's out there....but I do have a few.....I think flashlights won't become one though ;)