I want to buy a flashlight

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Lyrt, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Famous last words............

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Dang, now I want a decent flesh... err... flashlight too... :D

3. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

SureFire makes a great light, super bright and can take a beating! Enjoy!

Lol, I have a Surefire Forend light (M900A) for the M4 and they run about $625 apiece and for an extra $200 you can add the larger diameter, more powerful lamp head. That and by the time you buy spare batteries, and a flip open infrared lens cover you'll top $900 for a set up like this. There are some seriously expensive lights out there, especially for military and law enforcement applications.

Attached Files:

4. minderasr

minderasr Member

I can't make up my mind. At first I was going with the Surefire E2D LED Defender. But now I'm leaning heavily towards the Fenix PD30 Q5.

[​IMG]

Help!
    :think001

5. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

That's a nice light, and in that price range I don't see how you can go wrong. I would HIGHLY recommend the rechargable batteries. These lights eat some power.

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Wow! These little toys are quite impressive!! I have occasionally considered buying some sort of headlight for cycling. Either for when I get a late start (or an early morning one) or just to be safer in the middle of the day. Expensive though...$200-400 for some of these single purpose setups, like this Nite Rider for example. Kinda large, separate battery pack, 150 lumens.

I was just wondering if one of these little flashlights (which I could also use as, you know, a flashlight!) might work and I happened on this page. He's using the Fenix L2D, an older model I believe. Even if you don't care about cycling, scroll to the bottom and you can see how VERY bright these babies are! Even in daylight! He took some pics comparing one lite vs two. Two is obviously better, but still, one is quite impressive (even more so in person he says, and I would believe that). I like the little "T" bracket he shows in his pics too, for handlebar mounting.

Hmmm. See what you started, Yukio?! :rolleyes005

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yukio, if you haven't already purchased, this deal from 4sevens doesn't look bad. It's a combo of the Fenix L2D and the smaller E01 for $56 (was $71). Nice lights, from what I've been reading. Don't know about shipping to France though.

8. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Glad you found what you were looking for, Yukio!

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

11. RayG

RayG New Member

12. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Great CD and a great flashlight, awesome!

13. apswartz

apswartz New Member

he says while hiding the lights in his pockets!!!

14. Padron

Padron Active Member

I only have bought one in the last 10 years, not quite what I would call an AD ;) :)

15. Blades

Blades New Member

Just to throw my .02 cents in--
    I carry a few flashlights: A Surefire L1, a Novatac 120P, a Fenix L1p, and 2 small Photon lights. Why?? No reason. I like to have a back-up for my back-up's.(Don't ask about my pocket knives). And yes I have had to use 2 flashlights at one time. It has only happened twice, but I am ready for the third time. :)

So those that are scared of a $50-100 dollar flashlight will spend $50-500 on a shave brush? :) I know, I know, different strokes for different folks. :)
    If your looking for a good flashlight, and don't mind using 123a batteries- take a look at the Inova T1 or the Fenix line of lights. I carry the Fenix L1p because it takes an AA battery, and those are easy to find.
    Everyone should at least have a small coin sized keychain light, better then nothing when the lights go out in a Wal-Mart bathroom. :)

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well, until this thread started, I had no idea Mag-Lites were lousy flashlights. Or that you could spend hundreds on a light. Now, I have a dozen Surefire CR123a's and an E2L on the way. Out of pocket...$8.95. :D

Next up (Spring, probably), a Wolf-Eyes P7 to use for a bicycle headlight and maybe even a regular flashlight. :) Expensive, but lots cheaper than a purpose built bicycle headlight. Maybe by Spring, other reputable companies will have come out with a P7. Right now, it's Wolf-Eyes or junk brands.

Oh, the Surefire was only $8.95 because I've had a REI gift certificate laying around for at least 3 years. Figured I might as well finally use it on something!

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

Great score Michael,

You can get rechargeable batteries too that will work. The cheapest I have seen Primary batteries for is 21.99 for 12 for Surefires website....not sure how much shipping is though.

18. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Just don't tell the Surefire folks you're using rechargeables. Highly NOT recommended (I called and asked). Still, I understand lots of guys use them and I probably will too. What I gather about primaries is that they last much longer when you're not using them. I know that sounds obvious, but I understand that, with rechargeables, they discharge all by themselves, even with the light off. Primaries, not so much (10 year shelf life! And yeah, I knew the primaries were cheaper from Surefire direct, but I was already at REI, so...

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

So I got my UltraFire C3 yesterday. It's small, very well built, takes AA-sized rechargeable batteries and boy does this thing shine! Talking about blinding brightness :D The holster is well-made too.
    Overall: Very recommended - especially for the price of 12,83 shipped :D

20. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Maaaan...Now i had to buy one as well :whacky011