I was thinking how much 'modern' shaving rips off the public.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Tim Spencer, May 19, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think the one here in Baton Rouge has a barber. $85 haircut and shave anyone? I wonder what kind of straight they use. Pretty sure a shavette of some kind due to health regs.

Bama Samurai and Keithmax like this.
  2. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I know I am late to this discussion. Sorry.

All of this reminds me of the "Hawthorn Effect" - which resulted from an early 20th century study that defined the effects of an 8 year experiment on factory productivity related to higher or lower levels of light. The study concluded, among other things, that the level of light had less effect on improvements than the motivation gained by the workers as a result of being observed and the interest being given to their working conditions.

I find that for me, shaving seems to be effected in the same way. When I merely shaved to "get the job done", I occasionally got great BBS shaves, but found little to no enjoyment in my shaves. When this (almost) daily activity became a hobby, I paid quite a bit more attention to technique, razors, soaps, etc. - and cost! This attention is what made the shaves so enjoyable... and effective.

I have found that I can get a great shave with traditional classic equipment or the latest multi-blade wonder cartridge and gel. Modern shaving products are not necessarily a rip-off. It all depends on your technique and assimilation.

I contend that whether you pursue this shaving thing as a cost saving initiative, to return to the "old traditional ways" or as a high dollar hobby, you will experience a better, more enjoyable shave - period. It is a result of you paying attention to the process, variables, tools, and other's experience and opinions .

Whether you are in this hobby to save a lot of money, or spend it on high dollar products that help you improve your shave - that is up to you.
    Thanks to all here for sharing your experiences. I will happily try the things that make the most sense to me, and leave those that do not for others to follow.

AGHisBBS, Keithmax and Bookworm like this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I just had a week of shaving with a Gillette Contour (aka Atra). Inexpensive cartridges, and very good shaves. So much for "overpriced cartridges".

As always, YMMV.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So where did you buy them from? I see you're overseas, so that can be factor.

I mean let's be honest. If you do online shopping, chances are you're going to find a deal that beats any brick and mortar. But a quick check online shows that Target doesn't even sell them, and Walmart.com has a 10 pack of the blades for $17.99. For the average person who is just looking for a shave, yes I'd say cartridges as a whole are ripoffs. Not to say you can't find a deal, or your location may be different.

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

No, *you* are overseas ;)

Our local drugstore still sells them. 10 cartridges for 3 euros.

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Nope, Gillette is still a US based concern, so that's the direction used for 'overseas' or 'local'. I mean, when you get down to it, all of the cartridges are likely made in India, Malaysia, or China. :)