IAmTheJody's first brush restore

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by IAmTheJody, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Looking good.

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Nice work Jody!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

So the knot size for this handle is 18mm and the only 18mm knot that TGN had is a Finest. It's ordered and paid for! Yay!

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I think the finest will work well in there Jody. The darker base of the knot and creamy tips will compliment the handle well methinks.

5. IAmTheJody

I am so angry right now. :angry019::angry021::angry032:

I just dropped the damn handle and a nice piece of it broke off. If you have women and children in the room, you should ask them to leave now because the words I'm using right now are not nice.
    :angry032::angry019::angry032::angry019::angry032::angry032::angry032::angry032:

DSCN2304.jpg

DSCN2306.jpg

6. battle.munky

Awwwwwwwwww damn.

That'd be hard to fix too......

7. IAmTheJody

I'm going to try my best to put it back together. Like a puzzle. With super glue. My luck is just non-existent! :angry019:

Anyway, I did find it interesting that the white stuff in the handle is a soft, clay-like material. Guess that's what they used to add some weight to it.

8. battle.munky

Sucks dude. You may be able to sand down the super glue that will poke out of the cracks. At least it is in the white part and not the black.

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Great Pictures....Man...you do fast work...Looks like that handle cleaned up real nice..

I posted the above before I saw what just &%$#in' happened....
    Sorry Man....That really %$#$%$^%&$#@## bites!!

Good thing you already cleared the room of children.....:)

10. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Great job cleaning up the handle, it looks really good. Bummer about dropping it, though. It doesn't compare, but I remember dropping my first brush (Tweezerman) when I first got it and a big chip broke off the handle just about where yours did. Like I said, it doesn't compare to a vintage Ever-Ready, but I feel for you.

11. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

For what it's worth, Super Glue has some characteristic you may find undesirable for this application. The primary one being the trade-off they made to get it to be "super" glue. Super Glue curies fast(!) but was never intended to be a permanent solution. As it continues to cure at an accelerated rate, it lets go in a few weeks/month or 2. I would recommend an epoxy or marine glue for long term application.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. Sodapopjones

Jody at least you dropped it before it was done; if I had dropped it after finishing everything I probably would have thrown it out the window...

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That sucks.

I've been there before. I cracked the ferrule while doing the final polishing before affixing the knot.

Doesn't look like it would be too hard to fix.

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Oh Noaz!

Yet... back in my "smoking days" I use to get loaded up and seek out items to make bongs out of that you would not normally "smoke" out of.

If the handle cannot be salvaged, perhaps you can find something that you would not normally stick a knot in and call it a shave brush???

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Ouch! The old Bakelites and Catalin radios many times suffer the same issues due to deterioration of the polymers with extreme age.

When I was dabbling in radio restoration (another hobby that I need to spend more time in) there was an individual who developed methods of repairing Catalin and Bakelite plastics named Dan Blake.
    Here is his site:
    Badartdog.us

Some other images on repairs can be seen here.

http://www.designaddict.com/design_addict/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread_show_one/thread_id/8342

Good fortune in the repair.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. IAmTheJody

I did get the new knot in the mail Thursday. Just haven't had time to mess with it. Plus the knot is too tall for the brush to fit in the container and be able to put the cap on it - once the knot is set of course. So I've got to figure out whether or not I want to deal with somehow trimming the knot hair. I know I can trim the knot plug but it won't be enough to fix the size problem. It's already a small knot to begin with so there's not much plug to trim. Hrmmm...

17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Unlucky with the break, Hope when you piece it all up it just adds character:)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  18. Sodapopjones

I have seen this done once, Jody you can essentially retie the knot and cut from below there, I can't remember which forum it was but I believe this was done with either a Simpson or Vulfix knot.

19. IAmTheJody

My first attempted restore and has to be that involved? :happy102:

20. Sodapopjones

Well you picked a travel brush?!

Its not so bad, I mean just clamp the bristle down at the tips and tie some fishing line where you want it as tight as you can and don't let go of the end; proceed to glue it into the brush as fast as humanly possible keeping the tips still clamped.

IAmTheJody likes this.