IAmTheJody's first brush restore

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by IAmTheJody, Dec 17, 2011.

1. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hmmm hurdles many there are:yoda

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Haha nice...

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I dunno Jody, you may want to keep it simple and find yourself a new handle......

frankflood and GDCarrington like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I second that thought. Bakelites and Catalin plastics are not easy to repair to a level that they look good. More work and dollars than you may want to invest.

Good fortune.

5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

A friend of mine had a very rare set of Catalin Colt Single Action Army grips....He sent them to a master grip maker to put some finger grooves similar to the ones John Wayne had on his.....In all his westerns it looks like yellowed ivory grips but no, they were Catalin....
    Anyway, this grip maker was the best and the old Catalin cracked, and "All the Kings Horses and All the...." you know the rest.....He wanted to cry but instead had a party....lol. Later got a beautiful set of faux ivory with the finger grooves....Doesn't look like John Wayne's but beautiful none the less...lol.
    Point being....I third the motion brought up by Bob and GD....I wouldn't want to copy the Duke's Brush..er Pistol Grips anyway....ha,ha,ha....

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

jody i feel for ya getting that knot out and having that bad luck. i'd toss it out and find something else. that's me though. i bought 2 lucite handles and thought they'd be fun to rebuild. they really looked cool but i burnt the lucite up sanding so hard to clean them out. now i have them on my desk as a reminder to just do bakelite/catalin handles. fleabay always has cool handles..........good luck with whatever you decide. maybe another video would be in the works on brush building???

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Looks like I never did finish this thread. lol Trying to piece the handle back together was just too much for my patience so I trashed it. The end.:rofl:

tomnat and battle.munky like this.
  8. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

He I was seeking inspiration for MY first restore and thinking, wow, I'm sure Jody's will be legendary and I read this. Should I just throw mine out now? :angry032:

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Jody's re-knotted and restored a few brushes since this time. So yes, you should throw yours into a box and mail it to me now...before you read about Jody's triumphs.;)

Mark1966 likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Sorry this one didn't work out. I am hoping to do my first restore this summer. If I get the chance I will be re-knotting my friend's father's old brush for him.

11. Blobster

Blobster Member

You'll be fine Mark. Just stay clear of travel brushes for your first restore. Having done a number of restores on travel sized brushes (I prefer small brushes), I can confirm they're not the easiest. Not many choices of knots and even then you have to either reduce the circumference of the knot and/or sink it really deep in the handle to reduce the loft. Have never been game to actually trim the plug right off. Have seen it done somewhere and it's definitely doable but the risk of either destoying the knot completely or ending up with a perpetual shedder has put me off considering it. Most standard sized restores on a solid handle are a breeze.

12. IAmTheJody

Yes, I did move on and triumph! See here: The Buddha Brush

Mark1966 likes this.
  13. Mark1966

THAT is triumph?????

Oh dear, I wonder what a thread entitled -
    IAmTheJody's first razor restore

would result in! ;)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

24kt gold bottom-dial toggle with a light saber handle. That self lathers with Palmolive shave sticks. And a butane lighter feature that only comes out when you strum the pink bass attachment. Travel sized.

:D

FTW!

Not that I've been paying attention or anything. :D

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

After it does all that, does it wash out the sink for you? If so, that's the one I want! ;)

Mark1966 and battle.munky like this.
  16. IAmTheJody

Funny y'all should mention that... lol I'm talking with a friend of mine who is an engineer, about designing a new and modern TTO razor. Always cooking up something new in my head but that's usually where it gets left.:pot:

Mark1966 and battle.munky like this.
  17. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. AND GIMME THAT RAZOR! I want a ToggleSaber. Seriously.

burnout961, Mark1966 and battle.munky like this.
  18. Mark1966

The Toggle-Saber - puts a 'small nick' into a whole new light. Does the styptic pencil suffice in repairing cauterised limbs?

(Don't mess with me, I have a razor....)

burnout961 and IAmTheJody like this.