iKon Standard/Deluxe head razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Allen-Edmonds, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Readerbob

Readerbob New Member

Mine came in about a week and a half to NC, but since they ship from Thailand, it's hard to say when you'll get them. It's worth the wait, though. I love the deluxe model I bought!

2. wildbill51

wildbill51 Member

You blokes have me thinking now. I am waiting for the next run of Standard razors as I was concerned the Deluxe might be a bit aggressive for me.
    Keep the reports coming thanks.

3. sffone

sffone Member

I think you would be happy with the Deluxe version. If you apply little to no pressure while shaving, it shaves very smoothly. My Deluxe provides some of the best shaves I've ever had. It may be a bit aggressive in comparison to the standard version, but I don't consider it aggressive when compared to other brands of razors generally considered to be aggressive. But whatever way you go, Greg is a great guy to work with and he'll do whatever it takes to make you a happy customer. A person can't go wrong buying an iKon razor. I now own four of them and consider them a wonderful investment in my shaving pleasure.

4. wildbill51

wildbill51 Member

Thanks for the report.

5. highball

highball Member

I have had no problems with mine, its a great shaving razor

Attached Files:

6. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

My iKon Deluxe OC with Bulldog handle just arrived.. sweet craftsmanship for sure!!

The balance and ergonomics are dead on. Shave quality will be verified tonight...

Also received the turned stainless base and a matching turned stainless brush loaded with finest silver-tip badger, which Greg informs is actually from the same factory that supplies Rooney their knots!

Okay, so I am a Silver-tip Snob.. I have three other brushes.. One bore, one synth and one Pure. Um, wow!! Silver-tip is sweet!!:D

7. wildbill51

wildbill51 Member

These comments and pics are giving me a itchy finger. ;)

8. MikekiM

Well... I lack the skills, vocabulary and experience to do a proper review of my new kit, so what follows will be an attempt, in layman's terms, to review my first shave with the iKon stuff.. feeble attempt at best...

My iKon Deluxe OC arrived yesterday.. well, it was here last week, but I was on vacation for a week molesting my new Mergress XL on a beach in Montauk NY :)cool: pics available on request).

The package included the Deluxe OC with Bulldog handle in brushed stainless..#45 from the first lot.. The matching stainless base for the razor and a stainless handled brush with a Finest Silvertip knot.. I'll get specs on it later tonight along with some pics.

My hopes were that the iKon handle would fit on my Hoffritz slant bar head since the handle on that razor is way too small for my mitts.. it does. Bonus.

I had shaved early yesterday morning but lathered up with the new brush anyway.. no shower, just a warm water rinse, AoS pre-shave oil and a dab of TBS Macca Root cream.

The brush is crazy! I have three other brushes.. one Pure Badger Hoffritz brush, one Bore and one Synth.. this bad boy is wonderful! Soft, yet stiff enough. It yielded enough lather for at least four passes and then some, using the same amount of product I would have to stretch to three passes when lathered with my Pure Badger. I do believe I am now a Silvertip snob, with all due respect... A light touch with the tips, no need to break the breech (or breach) and the control and density of the lather was awesome. Mixed emotions about the stainless handle at this early stage..I have been soaking my brush while showering and while the stainless provides a really nice heft to the brush, it also retains heat like a mother. Unfortunately this heat doesn't transmit to the knot/lather.. just the fingers.

For those wondering if there is really a difference in the quality of the better badger brushes.. Here is a noob telling you, yes.. If only by my perception, it more easily creates a great lather, holds more lather and water, is easier to control with a light touch (no scraping later around your face with a stiff bristle). Worth every penny IMHO.

Loaded the razor with a fresh Derby.. I am new to wet shaving and I wanted to keep at least one thing constant with my prior shaves and I have been getting some great shaves with Derby's.

I don't have the tools to do a technical analysis, but I did check the consistency of the blade gap and found no issues even with the handle fully tightened.

I have been using a Futur @ 2.5 and a Mergress XL at about 2. Both have been giving me awesome shaves..no awesome isn't good enough.. amazing shaves. So smooth that cotton balls leave no trace on post shave skin. I prefer the long heavy designs of these so the shorter handle of the iKon felt strange, but it was nice and robust, with a great balance.

Unlike the Futur which resonates with each whisker it slices off, the iKon is a silent killer.. the skull logo is entirely appropriate. First pass WTG...dead quiet and without fanfare. The OC is pretty much dead on for my beard and my fears of it being too aggressive were at least partially dismissed.

Tons of lather left in the brush.. quick rinse to add some hydration, re-lather and XTG being careful on the fleshy underside of my jaw, which is the problem spot for me.. not a nick or snick..

Still tons of lather left but I dabbed the brush in some warm water just to warm up the lather.. ATG. Easy as pie. Getting under my nose was far easier than with the Futur. No issues under my chin either. Surprising considering I had shaved yesterday morning as well.

Rinse and then a gentle squeeze on the brush to coax up some thick lather for the a touch-up but the spots that usually need touch-up..didn't need so much.

Rinse and finalize with EJ Sea Buckthorn AS Lotion, favorite so far, and I am good to go.

This razor is awesome. I shaved again this morning, three times in twenty four hours. Not a burn, bruise, nick or sign of irritation and at 5:52 in the afternoon, my face is smoother than it would be five minutes after a M3 passed it. This razor is a keeper. The brush is incredible. Th stand...well, I am not sure if I will use it, but it's is nice to have.

Greg @ iKon is an absolute joy to work with. Communication is great, packing is awesome. He included a few Feather Blacks in my box. I look forward to doing business with him again.

Cheers for a good product!!

Questions are encouraged!!

9. Readerbob

Readerbob New Member

Glad you're enjoying your Ikon, Mike. I've had mine for about a month, and I am still very pleased with it!

--Bob

10. rainman

rainman New Member

Pulled the trigger on one of these. Can't wait to try it.

11. sffone

sffone Member

I can just about guarantee you that you'll be very happy that you did!:happy093

12. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I'm beginning to think that I NEED a Deluxe OC iKon Bulldog. I like OC, and I like the thick handle on my Merkur 37G. I like stainless steel. I think I will really like an iKon. The price is much better than a Feather all stainless, and it's an open comb. What's not to like? I really like his stand, too.
    If Greg made an OC slant, I just might giggle like a schoolgirl.

13. 44whiskas

44whiskas New Member

for those ordering - Is Greg on vacation? I have sent a few e-mails over the last few weeks with no response? But when I actually ordered my 2 :D razors before that - he was spot on within 4 hours and shipped quick.

fwiw - the 2 ikon OCs I have are great - I also straight shave so I have yet to meet a DE that was too aggressive but they are fun ;) and the stainless steel is an added bonus of no worrying about plating issues in the future

14. rainman

rainman New Member

First impression: Good shave, low irritation. A good combination. Used KMF mint brushless shaving cream, supermax platinum blade, Clubman aftershave lotion. I'll update my thoughts with a review after a month or so of use.

15. Allen-Edmonds

Allen-Edmonds Member

Greg gave me the option to switch out my Standard head for a Deluxe varient. I really appreciate him doing this. I was somewhat disappointed with the Standard head's shave, but this Deluxe head is much better. Very close shaves, smooth operation, no real complaints. I am pleased with this open comb setup.

Thanks Greg!

16. 44whiskas

44whiskas New Member

The OC deluxe is one of my favorites - heavy duty and plows through hair like no ones business. My hair is the equivalent of one of those porcupine shoe cleaners people place beside the door - thick, coarse and straight - when it is really short, you can actually get splinters in your fingers from my hair. This razor plowed through it the other night with an iridium blade.

Highly recommend this razor - It does appear the price has increased but even at the new price - IMHO this is a steal.

Andy

17. sffone

sffone Member

I agree - the open comb Deluxe gives a terrific shave.

18. MikekiM

+1

And the Bulldog handle works well on a few my heads...Frankenrazors rock.

I have my eyes on one of Greg's long handles too.

19. CSL

CSL Member

I hate to rain on the parade here, but I am not happy with the Ikon razor I purchased. Here's why -

The top plate completely misaligned the blade. On one side, the blade edge was slanted, with one end touching the comb & the other end up from it. On the other side, the blade was bowed down so that in the middle, the gap was less than at the edges.

I contacted Greg about this & he told me to send the top plate back to him so he could inspect it. I did that.

He sent me a replacement top plate, plus a few blades to counter the extra shipping I had spent - nice gesture, but unfortunately, this top plate is flawed too. Again, it is bowed so that in the middle, the gap was less than at the edges. I can put a straight edge on top of it & see a gap in the middle.

I tried shaving with it & it seemed to work ok, however, the point is that the blade gap should be equal along it's length & the blade should be straight, not bowed. My old Gillettes keep the blade straight & even & swapping out the top plate from a Tech onto the Ikon kept the blade straight.

I don't like giving negative reviews but I don't want anyone else to go through this.

To those who have said how great the fit & finish is on Ikon razors, based on my experience, I disagree & the fact that I was sent a flawed replacement part from the guy who makes them does not say much for quality control.

20. Allen-Edmonds

Allen-Edmonds Member

This is interesting. I was under the impression my top plate was the culprit, but after receiving the replacement open comb bottom plate I no longer have the issue. Did you take your straight edge to the bottom plate too?

I think your frustration is warranted, but there seems to be a variation in what people are receiving. Some work well, while others are misaligned. Maybe it is a QC issue.