iKon Standard/Deluxe head razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Allen-Edmonds, Jun 30, 2010.

1. geogaga

geogaga Member

What if another is the same? :)

2. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I would buy another iKon.. and I did...

So, I am not sure what, exactly, attracts me to the iKon line.. It's a combination of the following....

... the all stainless construction

... a small guy going up against the big manufactures

... the notion of small intimate manufacturing versus mass production

... the idea that one might actually build a better mouse trap

... the wonderful shave

... the iKon logo ;)

I already had the Deluxe Open Comb on a Bull Dog handle, the stainless stand and a matching stainless handled Silvertip brush...

I recently read a bit about the history of the iKon brand and in the article there was a picture of the iKon prototype which sported a long thin handle with a head similar to the Gillette Old. I have an Old in my ABC set and enjoy it, but the aesthetics of it trump the shave.. I just like the looks of the long indexing pins. The prototype iKon was in brushed stainless, which I appreciate visually and the combination of the head and handle have a nice visual balance to them. I emphasize 'visual' because I had never shaved nor held the prototype.. but I knew if I had the chance to buy one I would... Enter ebay...

I stumbled across an auction that included a Standard head in brushed stainless, a high polish Deluxe OC head which I have, mounted on the Long handle in high polish, which I didn't have, and.... the Prototype Old head, brushed stainless on the matching brushed Prototype Long handle. The certificates were included as was the original acrylic display case. Click Buy It Now.. It arrived three days earlier than I expected.

The OC I recv'd in the auction is an earlier release than the one I have and visual and tactile inspection of the tolerances between the cap and base of the head reveal it's tighter than my later version. With my later version, there is the slightest bit of play between the two head pieces with no blade installed, this is gone once the blade is inserted and the handle is tightened. Visually, the blade aligns perfectly in both OC heads and the exposure, as best as I can measure is the same. Keep in mind this isn't a forensic analysis and there is great room for error in my inspection and interpretation of what I see. I write-off the difference in tolerances as growing pains in the production cycle and frankly, I am okay with it.. These are all early releases from a new company, not mass produced products with a hundred years of experience behind them.

The long handle is wonderful. I like the longer handle on my Futur, though I sold that razor, and on my Mergress XL. I feared the narrow barrel on the long handle might be too small for my mitts, but as it turns out I am real comfortable with the ergonomics and might go as far as saying I prefer it!! The finish on the high polish handle is flawless, though the knurling is a little light for me. Still, no issues with slippery handle or loosing my grip...

I also received the Standard head. Now, I am still new to wet shaving and with regard to the history of razors, I am just scratching the surface, but I believe the head is an attempt at the Gillette New Deluxe. Craftsmanship is flawless. The brushed finish is perfect; the cap seats perfectly square and without any wiggle room. The blade locks down with what is, at least visually, a perfectly equal alignment. The balance with of the long handle and standard head is about as perfect as I could expect and when switching between the various razors I have...dare I say... I can't ask for more. (I have two other new razors coming.. both with Bull Mastiff handles from BRW... It's going to be tough competition in the Den!!)

Now.. the shave from the Standard head.. Way too mild for me. My first shave was with the Standard and a Personna Red on the prototype handle (more on that in a second). DFS...absolutely. BBS... I doubt it is possible without some serious discomfort. Second shave was with the Standard head and a Feather. Better, no irritation, but still not what I have come to expect in the way of closeness from an OC or Slant. BBS takes some work. But still, for the days I want a casual DFS, it is perfect...a kin to what I get from a Superspeed or Fat Boy set low.

The Prototype exceeds my expectations. This was an emotional purchase and to be honest, though the package I bought included the second OC head and the Standard, as well as the second handle, all I really wanted was the Prototype. Now many of you are going to think I am nuts but even if the shave from the Prototype proves less than perfect, the experience using and owning it is highly valuable to me. I like that it tells a story that even the oldest mass produced razors can't. Hmmm... not entirely accurate. I have a few oldies.. Gillette's from as far back as around 1912...and they tell a different story; one that speaks of the people who have used them over the years, the roads they have traveled, though undocumented, must criss-cross around the country; the faces and hands that have touched them and possibly learned to shave with them.. The iKon can't speak that language. Rather it speaks of entrepreneurship, trial and error, mistakes and successes. I envision Greg, founder and owner of iKon, standing in front of a lathe in his garage or basement. It might not be that romantic and the iKon's might also have been 'mass-produced' but not at the rate of the other razors I have.

Everything about the Prototype screams bespoke. The fit and finish is there, but it's clear this wasn't a final production model. The handle is especially attractive to me since the brushed finish has left the knurling very aggressive and the feel is absurdly positive. I recently had a chance to shoot a photo session of and in a local fire house and if you have ever explored the details of fire fighting equipment you know it is all business... That is the feeling the Prototype communicates. As mentioned, my mental database of old razors is limited and I think the head is the Gillette Old.. it is of the same design and dimensions as the head in my American Button Company travel kit. I haven't shaved with the Prototype head and am not sure if I will.

I had plans of a 'keep some, sell some' experience with the iKon's I have but not sure if I will let any of them go. I suppose I could pair up one of the OC's with the high polish long handle and let that go. And keep the Prototype long handle and high polish Bulldog. What I need is the brushed finished OC...that would be perfect. If anyone has one and wants to trade, please reach out....

All in all, I am most pleased with every aspect of the iKon experience. Obviously, some folks have had what they feel is a less than ideal, even poor, but I have made my objectives and personal latitude clear in prior posts and I have to say... iKon creates these little moments of magic for me..

3. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Ikon 1st Edition only 199.00

his new razor is now 199.00 his ebay ad states

"iKon DE Razor Serial #01 Wet Shaving & Gillette Blade"

4. sffone

sffone Member

MikekiM, if you're happy, that's all that matters. And I'm truly happy for you, that you find such joy in your new acquisition.

5. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

A solid two week of additional shaves with the prototype and the Deluxe OC... I still love them...

I'm working on a few other items from Greg, which I should have shortly..

Don't get me wrong.. the last two shaves were with my Fat Boy and were awesome, but I love the iKon's no less...

6. wildbill51

wildbill51 Member

That's a bargain when you consider you get a Rolex (pictured) as well :D

7. 11oss

11oss Member

Recieved my bulldog handle with the deluxe and open comb base plate today.

First impressions are its looks great however.........

I loaded up a blade to check the gaps (something that really anoyed me about my merkurs)
    Blade looks even on each side with the open comb head however in one corner it dips down so much it is almost touching the comb.

Its getting too late and dark now to check it out properly will inspect it again tomorrow.

8. CSL

CSL Member

Welcome to the club.........

9. Allen-Edmonds

Allen-Edmonds Member

I later posted this review/comment after having some time with my iKon with the Deluxe head. It is an amazingly smooth shaving razor. Definitely my go to razor for the past few months. I keep going back to it as it delivers an amazingly smooth shave that is also very close. Hard to beat.

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21803

10. 11oss

11oss Member

An update to my earlier post

I loaded a different blade to rule that out. The is a tiny difference between the sides, nothing worth worrying about it turns out but it is there. The blade does sit square in the head.

What I can say is I have been shaving with it since I got it and love how it shaves. BBS shave easily.

IMO just the right type of agresivness.

In fact almost perfect. I was worried about the gap eveness but its seems to have no effect I can detect.