I'm a new wetshaver, which razor should I get? (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dridecker, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Not ignoring you Aaron, just been busy lately, sorry. Which other brand/models do you suggest?

Thanks Aaron and Justin, I've updated the Weishi listing to show that it can also be found under the Timor name.

Spot on Justin, that was the purpose of this thread.

2. tristen

tristen Member

The Weishi razor is what got me into DE shaving... then i passed it off to my brother when i got an Edwin Jagger as a mild upgrade.

Now i swap between my EJ and a new-type gillette (and as soon as my strop shows in the mail, my auto strop will be thrown into the mix)

BeShaved and Boojum1 like this.
  3. John Janoch

John Janoch New Member

as a new wet shaver I am dipping my toes into the pond with my recently purchased Lord LP1822L AKA The Lord L6.

BeShaved and thinklikeh20 like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good choice.
    Bill "dridecker" passed out an L6 to get some thoughts. Read what others had to say about it here.

BeShaved likes this.
  5. shawn looker

shawn looker New Member

Thanks for the info! I just recently (as in today) bought the Lordtech Premium. It should get her Saturday! Kind of excited (how geeky is that)? ;)

6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Not geeky at all. I still get giddy and impatient when I order things from Vintage Razors to new soaps!

Boojum1 likes this.
  7. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

join the club! checking the mailbox has become my second favorite part of my day, next to shaving!

Boojum1 likes this.
  8. shawn looker

shawn looker New Member

I've got until at least saturday. I already can't wait! ;)

9. shawn looker

shawn looker New Member

Just got notification that my stuff has shipped and will be here tomorrow! Even MORE excited now!

David Green likes this.
  10. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Can you clarify the difference between "mild" and "aggressive"? Thanks!

11. swarden43

It has to do with blade gap - the amount of space between the guard bar that goes across the front of the razor and the edge of the blade itself. The bigger the gap, the more aggressive a razor is going to be. New folks starting out are encouraged to get a mild razor. Reason being they are less apt to dig in and cut if too much pressure is applied. Most newbies are used to using plastic cartridge razors that encourage using pressure. Proper technique (a light touch) is important for the more aggressive razors.

Boojum1 likes this.
  12. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Thanks very much swarden43. That's very helpful!

Boojum1 likes this.
  13. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The Feather Popular is a nice mild DE and is inexpensive at under $20.

14. AwNix

AwNix Member

Boojum1 likes this.
  15. LGBLST2013

LGBLST2013 New Member

I am shaving with a Parker vintage butterfly. Got it in a kit from CS. Is that a bad razor to start out with?
    Thanks. parker butterfly.jpg
    Jeff

Boojum1 likes this.
  16. swarden43

I have a Parker 80R I picked up from CS. I like it.

To answer your question with a question - does it give you a good shave? That's all that matters.

Boojum1 likes this.
  17. As a newbie my first vintage razor is a Gillette sportsman tech and my first modern is a Merkur 34C (HD).
    Cost wise the Gillette was my Grandpa's so no cost there.
    The Merkur cost a little but I have found it to be a very nice shaver.
    As far as first razors go I am glad I started with non adjustables as the razor stays constant while I experiment with blades, soaps, technique, and all the variables that make each shave unique.
    There is a lot going on for the newbie and for me the razor turned out not to be the most important choice.
    Find something you like and I believe a good shave can be had with it.

Boojum1 likes this.
  18. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

From what I can tell based on this thread and other comments around TSD, it appears an open tooth DE - I think Merkur calls them "open comb" - is not generally recommended for new wetshavers. Is this accurate? Is there an open tooth DE that is well-suited to a "typical" new wetshaver?

Boojum1 likes this.
  19. swarden43

There is a rampant myth that open comb razors are more aggressive than their straight bar cousins. BUNK. Some are, some are not. I own a variety of both. I have straight bar razors that are more aggressive than some of my open comb and vise-verse. Every razor is different and the only way you will know if one is too mild, too aggressive, or just right, for you is to try it.

I find the Merkur 11C, an open comb, to be relatively mild.
    The Gillette Sheraton is an old TTO open comb that I also find mild.
    The Gillette OLD Type, in my opinion, is a very aggressive open comb.

Alebrewer and Jasman like this.
  20. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Great resource! Now I have to go out shopping...

Boojum1 likes this.