I'm A Synthetic Believer.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DaltonGang, Feb 16, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The wife griped at me for buying two brushes, a week ago, and I told her they were different from the others, synthetic and soft. She rolled her eyes, and said it wasn't much money, when I told her the cost.
    I just received two Razorock synthetic brushes today. A 24 mm black handle and a 28 mm white handle brush. Both were super soft, out of the box.
    I left them on the kitchen table, so the wife could see them, when she comes home. As soon as she comes home, she sees them, rubs one one her arm, and said "Ooooo, this one's mine, because white is too girly for you". Girly??? Did she just take my brush? After rolling her eyes, at their purchase? Yes, she sure did.
    This is the same shameless tactic she used, on the first Gillette Black Beauty I bought.
    No problem, this might give me a reason to order another big brush.
    Anyway, I loaded the brush with Arko/Avon Spicy, and face lather e d. This is the softest brush I've ever tried. It's easy to load and face lather, but I noticed it didn't fluff up the soap like a good boar does. This 24 mm synthetic seemed to be a more swirling, paint brush stroke brush. Very nice.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

:happy088: Synthetic is my fave, daily Plisson user here!

Bill G, RaZorBurn123 and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I get super fluffy lather out of my plissoft and satin tip. Between these two brushes I don't feel like I need any others

RaZorBurn123, Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  4. DaltonGang

Is there a trick to loading these brushes? They seem to hold a lot of lather, but, they also release the lather well. The holding of the lather is deceptive, and not like a boar or badger. There is more lather in the brush, than what it looks like, making me load the brush more than needed.

ed.britt and BigCabDaddy like this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I may very soon get a synthetic from Italian Barber.

6. Grick

Grick Active Member

I own three synthies already. If you want one with plenty of backbone, get the Simpsons Chubby Synthie. And the tips are as soft as Plisson's.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  7. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I ordered the omega ash handle hi synthetic last night from Italian barber to try a synthetic

image.jpeg

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The RazoRock Plissoft is a GREAT brush! I ordered one the other day for my oldest son. RazoRock has a number of new very nice brushes that are outstanding quality and value.
    I run warm water over my brush then I lightly squeeze the water out so I have a nice damp brush, add water as needed. It works for me, and yes synthetics do hold a lot more lather. A good thing. :)

9. Grick

Grick Active Member

Unlike many people believe, even a synth brush must be broken in. The first use of my three synthies has always been "stiff". But subsequently, the synthies are gonna give you the later of your life. They spread the lather more easily on your skin, too.

10. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

razorock has 28mm synthetic?

11. DaltonGang

Correction, 26 mm. It does look huge.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Depends on which knot fiber. My ubersoft knots don't splay very well, so rather than holding lather, they tend to accumulate it on the outside edges of the brush and just push it around my head rather than working it in like most brushes. My fauxmere knots don't seem to have much issue. They release the lather just fine and splay very well. I do tend to start with a drier brush when loading.

13. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have almost entirely converted. I still have a super badger that I'll occasionally use for face shaves, but for my head It's all synthetic. I have 6 now, 3 ubersofts and 3 fauxmeres. I'm actually planning to trade away one of the ubersofts. Too much backbone and too little splay for me. I'll probably try one of Larry's Silvertips next year after my no buy is over, but other than that I plan to stay all synthetic moving forward.

Bill G likes this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Um, matey?

thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics-1.jpg

:p

Oh, and well done!

15. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

Ahhh....you got me all worked up.

16. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Razorocks 26mm..

[​IMG]

Spud likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have one just like it that I ordered for my girlfriend. I'd owned 26mm synthetics before, and didn't care for them...but I knew what was too large for my face, would be perfect for her legs. When she saw it, she cheerfully returned my "borrowed" 24mm synthetic. She's also hooked on Feathers after trying them for the first time last night.

Douglas Carey, macaronus and mrchick like this.
  18. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Yeah my fiance refuses to use a double edge razor on her legs just can't get her to try it she loves the little synthetic brushes like the satin tip

19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have only one synthetic and I absolutely love it.
    Installed the knot in a Vie-Long handle I had from another project. It has the soft silky feel from my Shavemac silvertip badger and the backbone from my boars. Easy to load, easy to clean and quick at drying. Looks the part as well IMHO. If it weren't for the boring part, I could easily live with just this single brush.

I need to get me some more synthetics along the way!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  20. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I have 2 Plisson type knots, one is a Stirling Kong and the other an Italian Barber 24mm. I am very close to buy a WhippedDog synthetic also just to see if I like it.

tuxxdk likes this.