I'm on the verge...

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by scott69, Nov 30, 2009.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

2. scott69

scott69 New Member

A stupid question. When rinsing this SE Gem is it best to remove the blade, or just open the top and leave the blade in when rinsing? And should I leave the top open between shaves? (My grandfather used tyo have one of these many years ago).

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No need to open it for rinsing.. and that is far from a stupid question. What I usually do is keep a container of alcohol near the sink after the shave swish the head of the razor in it to run out all the water.. it works great. Also no need to leave the top open between shaves.

The SE's really are great.

Fuzzy

4. scott69

scott69 New Member

There's no Walgreens near me for Gem blades so I picked up some Treet blades tonight. They seem to be readily available at grocery stores and Riteaid. Did I make the right decision? Now I'm hearing that Treets are carbon steel and may rust. I also went into CVS and they had CVS brand SE blades. They looked very similar to the Treets at Riteaid. The CVS brand wouldn't happen to be made by Gem would they? (The Gem Featherweight was shipped today!)

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Most of those blades are made by ASR (american safety razor) I use treets just fine. Some do not like them. They are usually cheaper then the CVS blades. I would recommended that you do not use the made in korea SE blades if you run across them,

Fuzzy

6. scott69

scott69 New Member

Yes, I noticed that the SE blades at Dollar General are made in Korea. Hopefully the Treets will work out well, it's nice to be able to buy the supplies locally and avoid s/h costs. About how many shaves can you get from an SE balde? Thanks again for your help Fuzzy!

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sure glad to help.

I get 3 or 4 shaves from a blade. The Ted Pella coated Gem will give a shave more usually. Don't let the people get you down the Treets shave just fine,

Fuzzy

8. scott69

scott69 New Member

You're right, sometimes information overkill from so many people can get you down. Although everyone's been very helpful, but when it comes to shaving, 50 people may have 50 different opinions. Now if I can just have some patience waiting for the featherweight to arrive!

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Just remember that the Featherweight isn't going to suddenly allow you to go ATG nor help you make a good lather.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very very very true.,. it is not a magical device.. you have to learn technique just like anything else.. just easier to shave with.

Fuzzy

11. scott69

scott69 New Member

Actually I had a very good shave today with my Gillette Tech, Shark blade and some Col. Conk Amber soap. I did WTG, XTG and ATG plus some touch ups. It was a comfortable and close shave with just a few tiny nicks and very little redness/burn. I must be learning!!

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    There ya go! :happy096