Inexpensive Straights, Hones, Strops, etc. for Beginners.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I want to sharpen a couple of wedge/hollow ground blades for a Darwin safety razor. Whipped Dog sells 1/4 Norton stones in a starter kit for $60. Would I be able to use these or is it a waste of money ?

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I've Honed More SE Hollow Ground Blades than I Can Remember...If You are Just Honing SE Hollow Ground Blades (Mistaken for Wedge) a Chromium Oxide Lapping Film Progression System will Serve You Well for a Fraction of that Price in the USA...That's a Full Progression System..15 Micron, 9, 5, 3 1..Its Ideal for SE Blades...;)

A Full Sheet will Last a Long Time because you Only Need Thin Strips with SE Blades..Norton Stones Wont Offer anything Like the Edge You will Get from Lapping Film & its Cheaper if You are Only doing a Few Blades for Personal Use..:)

Billy..:chores016:

3. Redfisher

I may already have this stuff but it is paper backed, I was thinking of something different...

4. Billyfergie

Paper Back Stuff is Sticky Back..It Peels Off..Its You're Journey..Norton Stones are a Step Backwards to Lapping Film..They Don't Offer the Progression of Lapping Film either..Lapping Film like Naniwa Super Stones is an Excellent Modern Synthetic System that Offers Consistent Results & Easy to Use..:)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Karl G, DaltonGang and Redfisher like this.
  5. Redfisher

I reckon I'll figure it out eventually ...

6. Redfisher

BTW this is not stickey backed just paper, seems a little soft great for polishing, honing IDK

7. Billyfergie

For What its Worth..The Best Advice I can Offer You is get Someone that is Competent to Hone that SE Blade..Learn to Shave with it cause its a Learning Curve & Get to Know what a Properly Honed & Sharpened SE Blade Looka & Feels Like..Otherwise You are Pretty Much Up a Gum Tree..I have Seen this Time & Time Again..Cause You Wont Know what You are Looking For...:D

Karl G likes this.
  8. Billyfergie

Well...I Don't Know What You have or what Grit You have but I Can Assure You Lapping Film is Good for Honing..:happy088:

Billy.:chores016:

Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Redfisher

10. Redfisher

Anyway I appreciate your advice buddy!

Karl G, Robyflexx and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Billyfergie

Redfisher, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

How do you strop the SE Wedges, if you don't have the stropping handles??

13. Billyfergie

You can Just Make One Up From a Piece of Tube ..We Spoke about this on this Thread a Short Time Ago..The Measurments I Took are On this Thread for Both the Handle for the Cru Stropping Blades & the One for Hollow Ground Blades...:)
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ouPmjGu1vzbMSFT5-27wLw&bvm=bv.133053837,d.d2s

DaltonGang and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Funny stuff Billy! :happy097:

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Excellent Billy. Thanks.

Billyfergie likes this.
  16. Redfisher

Granted, so where do I get this stuff?

Billyfergie likes this.
  17. Billyfergie

Lapping Film in the USA..Calling @Karl G & @twhite ...:sport026:

Karl G likes this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

If you want the non Diamond. I get mine from McMaster Carr lapping film. karl has a link to the good diamond stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Here's a sample. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FW70858/?tag=thshde-20 You need to order the different grit sizes separately. I never did find a 5 micron but did get a 12, 9, 3, 1, .3 micron selection. 15 micron diamond abrasive is available through another supplier but is a little more expensive.

Robyflexx and twhite like this.
  20. Billyfergie

I Would Only Recommend 15 Micron Diamond for Setting a Bevel & the Honing Progression in Chromium Oxide Film..The Diamond is Not Near as Smooth a Cutter as Chrom/Ox for Progression..Its Not got any Cushion either..Great for Setting a Bevel..:D

Robyflexx and twhite like this.