Inexpensive Straights, Hones, Strops, etc. for Beginners.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have the Norton 1k. I think you’ll find it more than adequate for your bevel setting chores.

Billyfergie, Linuxguile and Keithmax like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Oh, but it likes to drink a lot of water:)

Billyfergie, Linuxguile and Keithmax like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Hey, so do I. :bounce015:

Billyfergie, Linuxguile and Spyder like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  5. DaltonGang

I'm still having great results from the Norton 220/1000 stone I picked up. I wish I had started with this stone, and avoided the King 1K. The King 1K is waaaaay too slow, and acts more like a 2k.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

Bump.

It's been a while, and some newbies need to get familiar with a variety of things.
    :happy069:

brit likes this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I use lapping films to hone my razors. You can get a whole progression for under 100 dollars. The equivalent synthetic stones would cost hundreds of dollars more and that's excluding a stone holder and a lapping plate. Slash McCoy and Mike Baker have youtube videos on how to sharpen your straights with lapping films.
    I would recommend a 5/8 round point straight for ease of maneuverability and less of a chance of nicking yourself with the toe. I think you can still get a honed Gold Dollar from Razor Emporium for about 50 dollars.

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
  9. DaltonGang

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone this route,to learn with. Much easier than jumping into Natural Stones.

Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  10. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Anyone ever heard of a Union SR2 straight razor? I tried to do some research but it was fruitless. The Union SR2 is currently on the shelf at the local Love's truck stop with a $12.99 price tag (weird place to spot a straight razor) and is on Amazon for the same price. Amazon says it's made in China. Anybody know how this razor stacks up as an "inexpensive straight for beginners?"
    :)
    - Bax

P.S. I'm not trading my Focus R-28 -- it's the bee's knees!

Trigger likes this.
  11. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Tbh, I haven't heard of it. It's common knowledge that a very high percentage of Chinese straights are poor quality based on Gold Dollar reviews. They usually are not shave ready and require an experience honer to get them shave ready. The steel is also not that great compared to Sheffield and Solingen steels. I would say these qualities probably will apply to the razor in question based on the very low price. Personally, I would stick to shavettes and master your technique so that it will be an easier transition to straights. Generally, you can get a shave ready straight for about 100 dollars or a shave ready vintage for about 50 if you do your research.
    For a couple bucks more than the 12 and change for the Union razor, you can get a Parker shavette for under 20 dollars and you will get a fantastic shave over the razor in question assuming your technique is very good.

12. DaltonGang

You can always step up your game, and but a shave ready Straight Razor from a member, in our Classified section. You will also need a strop. Much smoother shaves with Straight Razors, and not very expensive, usually under $50, shave ready.

13. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I've been shaving with Focus R-28 shavette for over a WEEK.
    Heck, I'm a pro already!
    Pretty soon, I'll put a BLADE in it!
    - Bax

P.S. Kidding -- I'm up to shave #8 with Wilkinson Sword (India) blades, and only 2 cuts. I'm getting better at it! I've found that a good, slick lather is more important with a shavette than it is with a DE. Learning all the time...

Karl G, Steve56 and DaltonGang like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, I've heard of them. They are basically re-badged Gold Dollar razors. Good steel. Indifferent quality control, poor honing, and sometimes, poor grinding. They can make for an inexpensive razor to learn honing basics with, if you can get one that isn't poorly ground.

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  15. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

An "inexpensive razor to learn honing basics" -- I hadn't THOUGHT of that! Great idea! Instead of potentially ruining a vintage razor, I could learn on a junker. Although... I'm liking my R-28 so much, I may never progress to an old-school straight razor. I really like that R-28 a LOT. Thx again for that recommendation, by the way!
    - Bax

PLANofMAN and Karl G like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Straight Razor shaving- Very Cool
    Shavette shaving- Not so cool.

Like the difference between a Jaguar and a Hyundai. Both will get the job done, but one will get it done with "Style".

Steve56 likes this.
  17. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

What a coincidence! I'm not so cool, either, so the shavette is a perfect fit!
    - Bax

swarden43 likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1625107236163.JPEG
    IMG_1640888433504.JPEG
    Uh huh.
    Yeaaaaah. Sure.
    ;)

In general, I agree with you. But, there are exceptions. This is one of them, AND it's also the complete opposite of what this thread is about.

Karl G likes this.
  19. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I’d like someone to point me in the direction of a J-NAT finisher KOPPA under $100 lol

20. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

You can find vintage dubl ducks for reasonable prices and they take super edges!

A beginner strop I’d recommend is the naked armor “BLUE EEL” from Amazon. Hey…. Your gonna kick it to pieces anyways lol. No need to get a good looking one.