Info needed on an 8/8 straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rio Bravo, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo Well-Known Member

This is a request for your input and one that needs all of your assistance. Is an 8/8 razor more of a gimmick than a tool? I currently have a 4/8 wedge and a 6/8 full hollow and have seen an 8/8 that I quite like but part of me wonders if an 8/8 is a tad bit impractical. Please could those with straight 8/8 knowledge advise.

Rio Bravo

2. Rio Bravo

Forget about brands. This is purely a question about the size. Is it too big?

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Much comes down to personal preference.
    Many of the larger blades Iv'e used (7/8 and up) aren't nearly as cumbersome as I once imagined they would be, considering most folks are typically familiar with a 5/8" blade.
    I found that with straight razors, 'size doesn't really matter'....It's the operator, not the tool.
    One can get great shaves with a 4/8 or 8/8 blade. Some prefer larger; others smaller. But there must be some aura of 'machismo' about the big blade, because people go nuts for them on ebay.

One of my favorites in my rotation is a 7/8 square point, full-hollow wostenholm Click here. Smooth, easy to navigate; just a great razor.

One of the largest I've used is an Wade & Butcher 8/8+ wedge (Click to see)
    which provided an exceptionally-close shave as it took a wicked edge. Heavy in the hand but a great shaver, I was sorry to see this one leave.

This big 8/8 wostenholm broke my heart. The blade cracked while lightly buffing, before I could even get my 1st shave from it....$$$$:angry017:

macaronus and Rio Bravo like this.
  4. Rio Bravo

Thanks for taking the time an effort to provide such a detailed and dedicated response. I fully agree with your analysis and can confirm that it certainly is the person rather than the tool.

macaronus likes this.
  5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have several 8/8 razors as well as 4/8, 5/8, 6,8 and 7/8. One day I prefer the 4/8 and other days I am swinging the big 8/8 ax. The size I use the most however is 6/8 & 7/8 so those must be my preference. As far as square point, French point, Spanish point or round point, I like them all on different days. If someone would say you can have only one razorwhich, it would be a 7/8 square point with the sharpest point possible which would be my 7/8 J A Henckels Friodur square

lindyhopper66 and Rio Bravo like this.
  6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I also have the full range of razors form 4/8 to 9/8 and use a different razor each day. For the last year or so I've mostly bought larger razors 13/16 up. I prefer the 14's. They are usually 7/8, 15/16 or 8/8. I like the feel in my hand of the larger razors, especially with full hollow. Full hollow, thick spine and little heft makes the shave go easier for me. I know you can zip along with a small razor, but I like the feel of the large razors.

Rio Bravo likes this.
  7. Rio Bravo

Have ordered an 8/8 full hollow. Really appreciate everyone's assistance and advice.

lindyhopper66 likes this.