Information on how badger hair is obtained

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Must Dash, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Must Dash

Must Dash New Member

Any chance that you could get them to supply some photos of their badger flock and shearing technique? Or do you reckon that this is shear fiction? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jeremy

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

That is complete BS. Badgers are horribly vicious aniomals and there is absolutely no way that they are being shaved. That company doesnt even make their own brushes. They just sell Col. Conk brushes.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    My thoughts exactly.

And a website I would never order from because of that BS.

4. Must Dash

Must Dash New Member

I'm crestfallen. I was all set for a photo of a a row of cute badgers sitting in barber chairs with men in white coats gently shaving them while chatting about Richard Hammond's latest pick on Top Gear.

Cheers

Jeremy

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :happy097

Sorry to burst your bubble. ;)

6. iron maiden

iron maiden New Member

I'd say they theoretically could show you the badgers being sheared....however, the sight of the poor "barber" with all of his fingers having been bitten off would probably be as off-putting as the infamous video that got this all started.

So, badgers being sheared???? I think not.

My post about this going the way of the other thread was not to try and discourage any talk from coming out if this....it just reminded me of the last thread, and I perhaps incorrectly, assumed this thread might also be in jeopardy. It doesn't seem that will be the case here....at least not yet.:rolleyes:

7. Must Dash

Must Dash New Member

Well, apparently what I thought was a civil discourse, got me a permanent ban from B&B. And the thread has been removed - which means that the valuable factual information is no longer available to new members.

"You have been banned for the following reason:
    You gave your word you would drop the badger issue and keep it to PM's, only to stop participating here for months, then come back and post 2 more threads. You lied and are here for nefsrious (sic) reasons which means you're not welcome.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

Can't say that I entirely agree with the statement or that I'm overly fussed about being banned. If a public forum isn't open to public debate I really don't belong there anyway. And, not that anyone cares, but the reason that I ceased participating was because of the hostile PMs from one of the owners - which fortunately for him I promised not to publish.

Hopefully things on TSD are a little more mature and a little more relaxed.

Cheers

Jeremy

8. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Totally relaxed here Jeremy.The Pure Blonde's must be kicking in.:D;)

9. Must Dash

Must Dash New Member

Careful, you'll have me believing that stuff is drinkable :eatdrink004

Cheers

Jeremy

10. Leon

Leon Active Member

Hey, I didn't make that article, I don't know if that's possible or not. Apparently not, right? Guess I'm a bit naif.

11. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I did not read that article but theoretically speaking, I don’t see why it would not be possible to use an anaesthetic gun.

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I just saw a documentation about badgers yesterday evening and I have to say they look really cute :D
    I also learned that several thousand badgers are shot each year here in Austria but I don't know if they use their hair to make shaving brushes :D

@Yukio: You *could* do that, but you can't farm raise badgers due to their way of living. They'd kill each other (the male ones). And to shear a wild one could also mean his death because of not being recognised by the family any more due to the changing scent.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

my friends, I am by trade, a fur skin dealer and broker. At one time, badgers were very popular as coats and jackets. Now, they are used mainly for shaving brushes for men and slippers for women.

14. chasro

chasro Member

I read Must Dash's post and they are affecting my decision as to what the first brush I buy will be.

It's very vain to think a living creature should die just so that us men can have a closer shave.

Now, if there are other reasons for killing the animal as well (food, population control, disease prevention, etc), then I'm find with using the fur. I just don't want the animal to die simply because I want a smoother shave. That's just not right.

15. JayKay

Badgers are eaten in china. Also, if you buy one awesome brush it will save you from buying a whole bunch of cheaper brushes in the short term.

Over time anestesia will screw up an animal. You can only anestecise an animal so many time before having negative neurological effects.

16. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

In all of my years of shaving, it has never been a secret as to how badger hair is "farmed". This is not "ground breaking" news. Agree with it or not, Jeremy has been trying to make a point on several forums, but without much success. No matter what he learns, people will buy badger brushes. And people will still wear fur coats. And leather boots, jackets, eat steak, lamb, etc.

St. Croix

17. JayKay

I understand that hes trying to make a point, but must have missed yours.

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I have been to China on several business trips, and this is the 1st time I have ever heard of badgers being a part of the Chinese diet.