Injector love

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wchnu, Dec 5, 2008.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have one Shick injector.. do not know the model, but it is not one of the oldest ones. I break it out every now and then to show some love. It always seems to me that it shaves a lot like a modern disposable... anyone else think that?

Fuzzy

2. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

thats the consensus i get from a lot of people. i havent shaved with one in a LOOOOOOONG time, so i cant say for sure.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

But it back with the 1910 in the morning woohoo!!!!!!

Fuzzy

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

hahaha. im starting my day off with my 1908 ever ready ;)

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Maybe i will use the 1908 superior then.. :D
    Fuzzy

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I have several Injectors, and the only way they are similar to modern disposable (non-pivoting head) razors is in the angle that it is held to your face. The shave is nothing like a disposable, because dem blades be beaucoup sharp!

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You do have a point there. but they feel and handle much the same to me. Not cutting them down. they just do. (but of course your burnWood)inside joke sorry

Fuzzy

8. Hi there,

We all have different thoughts on various shaving items, so let me just include mine as well. Since this is just an informed opinion, there's really no right or wrong. I found an injector to have some differences compared to the Mach3 I used for years. The sensor is a bit closer to using an injector, but it's still not the same.

Anyway, many cartridges use a swivel head, instead of fixed. Nothing with an injector to help guide the blades over the facial contours. An injector shaver always has to pay attention to the blade angle.

No lube strips to help out with an injector. Also, the blade isn't recessed for safety as it will be on some cartridges.

Heh, as Rick said, some of these injector blades are pretty sharp, and injectors are gonna be more aggressive than a cartridge. It's because of the blade gap, among other things, Some early injectors can be like shaving with an adjustable set on 7-8, but most later ones feel like about a 3 to me. Luckily, that's also my favorite # on my fatboy. Yeah, I used to get excellent shaves with my injectors.

Then, after learning technique (there IS a learning curve), you gotta find the right blade..........sigh. Yeah, it's trial and error.......just like a DE. When I started using an injector, I used the wrong model with the wrong blades. I didn't know any better, and man.........I always looked like I had sunburn.......even in the winter. Couldn't figure out why my shaves were so gruesome.....heh.

So as you may have guessed, I see a few things that aren't quite the same between the two shaving systems. The main thing though, is that 1, it takes me much longer to shave with an injector than with the M3. The second point is the NEED to pay attention when using an injector. They're forgiving, but only up to a point.....heh.

Ok, I'm done,
    Martin

9. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

So are the results similar to a DE or a Disposable/ cartridge?

10. Hi there,

Results eh? Well, it took some trial and error in finding right model injector and correct blades for my face, but it was certainly worth the effort.

I used to get some good shaves (in under 3 minutes) with my M3, better shaves with the sensor (longer shaving time though), and now I get excellent shaves with my fatboy. I've had the most fun shaving since switching to a DE over a year ago, and yeah, I'm left with an irritation free, BBS face. It's gratifying to be able to handle all the tools properly, and end up with so smooth and comfortable a shaving experience.

Hehe......of all the different model cartridges and DE razors I've used (each with good to excellent results), I have to say the injector gave me the best possible shave. Yeah, if this 'hobby' was only about achieving the perfect shave, the injector would be my daily razor. Nothing else can clean up my neck like one of those, and the rest of my face is left almost as smooth as using a DE.

Anyway, that's just me........
    Martin

11. alaric

alaric New Member

I used one in college, but not since then. Maybe I will come across one sooner or later.

12. Milton

Milton New Member

Here's a link that lists the different injectors throughout the years. I have a Type J injector and it gives me great shaves. I pull it out every now and then to shave with. I can actually get slightly closer on my neck with it than a DE, its a good razor.

13. Larry T

Larry T Member

Injector

I used an L3 Schick razor this morning, also known as the 'Grip'. I have several razors that use injector blades, and so far, all have been good shavers. I wouldn't compare them to a disposable, in any way. The heft and edge exposure gives them a completely different feel, in my opinion at least.

[​IMG]

Larry

14. mantic

mantic U TOOB

So what's the current situation on Injector blades? I remember Ted Pella getting a lot of discussion some time ago. Is there a "go to" source for Injector blades these days, or is it a crap-shoot at the local grocery store for Schick or PAL varients?

--Mark

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

im pretty sure the "go to" blades are anything NOS. ive also heard good things about the chinese schick blades. the ted pella blades are also liked by many.

yes, sadly, after that it is a crap shoot.

16. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I've gotten pretty good shaves from the Personna blades.