Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Schick sometimes use letters and numbers on their razors, but they were manufacturing production numbers that did not have anything to do with Alan G. Appleby's later classification for users / collectors.

Appleby's goal was to lump the types of Schick injectors by major design similarity akin to what I did for Synthetic brush fiber types some time ago. It was a method to make it easier to understand what you were procuring and the major variations between the models.

Boojum1 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I get that, on my I1 its stamped M26. Using the chart above, using the physical description and picture of the razor it's really a I1.
    I1: Short square ribbed ivory handle
    and gold head, or rarely black handle
    and silver (chrome) head

Boojum1 likes this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Just shaved with my J1 and the Personna Platinum Chrome blade. I can say the Personnas don't feel quite as sharp but they are more than sharp enough. Smoothness seems very close to the same with Personna perhaps having a very slight edge. The end result is also too close to call. DFS after 2 passes and absolutely no sting from the Aqua Velva afterward.

I'm glad I have a small stockpile of these Personna Platinum Chrome blades. I believe they are NOS but may still be available at your local Army/Air Force BX/PX at about $3/11-pack - a good price for good blades. I don't think ASR is still producing them so when the warehouse runs out of them, they may be gone forever. I know from past experience that I won't have trouble getting at least 10 shaves from this blade.

I haven't tried the PTFE coated Personnas but might pick up a pack just to see how they compare later.

The Schicks are a ridiculously sharp blade and really enjoyable to use. They really make it feel like I'm wiping the whiskers off my face. They're still pretty widely available but not that cheap. About $5/7-pack is as good a price as I've found. Even so, you can easily get 8 or 10 shaves out of them and even more if you prep your whiskers well. That helps mitigate the high cost per blade a bit.

4. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The problem with trying to use the numbers and letters that Schick put on them is that they repeat and are different on the same razors since the same equipment was probably used to make the various models.

I looked at three of my adjustables and found M26, same as your I1 on one, M15 on one and M35 on the last one. I think it would be confusing if I said I own an M15, an M26 and an M35 adjustable Schicks.

I looked at two Kronas and found M in the top left corners of both and then 1,1 and 5 on one and 1,2 and 5 on the other.

And, to answer your question about the I1 being rare, Schick made the majority of the non- Hydro-Magic I types in gold with the white handle, I can't even begin to guess how many they made with the black handle but it was obviously a lot less. My first razor was a black handle hand me down I type that I got from my dad in 1971. Wish I still had it.

Bird Lives, RaZorBurn123 and Boojum1 like this.
  5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Yes, eBay. One of my Bad Hobby Habits is trolling eBay.

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

today I had a very nice shave with a cvs persona. after the shave, I thoroughly washed and dried the blade. I then stored it in a very small Rubbermaid storage box. the only thing in there is the blade and a silica pack, to remove any moisture.
    I still revisit the blade in the next few days to see how it performs.

Boojum1 likes this.
  7. HoosierTrooper

Exactly what I do as well.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Planned Shave for 8 September 2014 ...

[​IMG]

Boojum1 likes this.
  9. Boojum1

The prices on Schick Razors have been unbelievably low still. This one was too hard to pass on.

IMG_0715.JPG
    NOS Schick I1 Injector Razor

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

10. HoosierTrooper

Boojum1 likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

12. Boojum1

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Planned Shave for 9-9-2014 ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    RaZorBurn123 and Boojum1 like this.
  14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Look at that beauty...I stand behind my previous comment about these.....man, if Aston Martin made a razor...

GDCarrington and Boojum1 like this.
  15. Bird Lives

I hear ya Tom.....My first was a Black handle Schick Hydro-magic that my Pop gave me...wish I still had that one too...;^) I have one just like it that I feel lucky to have, but your Dad's razor will always be special...I used it til the little pin fell out of the lever and it came off so I tossed it...ha,ha....At that time no one thought about reparing one....ha,ha....Then I had a half a dozen of the various L types that I bought new...wish I had a couple of those aswell, but you know....hindsight being 20/20 and all....

16. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I finally made it! My wait was excruciating, exacerbated by @GDCarrington really featuring his Schick adjustable in so many photos lately (high quality photos twisting my RAD all the more! Darn you, Gary. ). I set my limit and waited for a razor with the number sticker still intact on the adjuster wheel. Several auctions later... This is the seller's not-so-high quality photo, but I reeled in this bad boy for $17.05. I'm now in the Schick Adjustable club.:happy093:
    schick adjustable.JPG

fram773, Boojum1, feeltheburn and 4 others like this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent! Get ready to get DIALED IN for shaving excitement! ;)

18. Bird Lives

Atta boy MM....She looks awesome, lets see some of your own photos of her when she makes the scene...I'm looking forward to a stroke by stroke account of the Maiden Voyage....};^)

19. HoosierTrooper

That was an absolute steal for one in that condition! I've been using an adjustable the last few days myself, also thanks to Garys pictures, with a vintage Schick Plus Platinum blade.

20. RaZorBurn123

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.