Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Shave 3 with the modified gem carbon steel blade. Either the blade is shot already or the angle is wrong. I did this shave riding the blade and with the guard adjusted opened more than the other shaves. I might as well have not shaved today. I'll go back to what worked for me tomorrow and see what happens.

jimjo1031, clint64, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  2. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Tuesday’s Shave

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, clint64, Boru62 and 12 others like this.
  3. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Endgame Countdown
    Lather Bros. | Gauntlet
    Leo Frilot | Infinity Brush | MAC Metalworks Synthetic 28mm
    The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, clint64, Boru62 and 11 others like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesommmmmeeeeeee

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

jimjo1031, clint64, MPF9 and 14 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Williams Wednesday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Rinse
    Williams Mug Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #343 Synthetic
    Ever-Ready 1909
    Vintage Gem Cutlery SE
    CWR
    Dove Men+Care Post Shave Balm

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Williams Mug Shave Soap face lathered well with Jayaruh #343 Synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Ever-Ready 1909 razor with a Vintage Gem Cutlery SE blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Dove Men+Care Post Shave Balm. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

jimjo1031, clint64, MPF9 and 11 others like this.
  7. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Wed 24th April

Omega 11126 Boar
    Mondial Tabacco Verde
    PAL Injecto Matic
    Schick Proline [ 5 ]
    Tuff Green A/S Lotion

A much better Shave today when obviously the blade was past its best. The New to me Croap lathers very nicely and helps the shave go smoothly. The soap has an earthy smell and is different to the usual almondy scent of many Italian soaps. I think it will go well in my Travel
    Pack.

IMG_0454.jpg

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I don't think the VC1 was made to be adjustable. It should be all the way closed. The angle is more or less the angle of the head.

jimjo1031, clint64, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I decided to give the autostrops a rest until I get in the feather blades and decided to use a razor I am embarrassed to say I've never shaved with until today. Gem Micromatic Open Comb with a stainless PTFE blade. I am glad I did this maybe the best razor I own if this shave is anything to go by. The only other razor I remember being close to a shave like this was the bullet tip micromatic. This razor for sure is going to be put through the paces with different types of blades in the near future.

mmoc.jpg

jimjo1031, clint64, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Instructions with these mention opening them up to adjust how they shave. The one thing I have noticed is the blade likes to shift around too much. Most likely due to the way I modified it. I also figured out a better way to keep it from wanting to shift unevenly and I have to modify the blade in such a way you don't nib off the tabs on the top of blade. I use a hand nibbler and can cut back enough so those tabs lock the blade in place but you loose some of the blade exposure as a tradeoff. It is a work in progress.

jimjo1031, clint64, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  11. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

When you despine the Gem you'll notice a notch either side, they lock the blade in place.
    Put the blade in at a slant until the first notch is home, then pull the blade towards you and carefully push the blade home.
    IMG_20190323_195657.jpg IMG_20190323_195555.jpg
    Edit: There is no reason I can see for the notches (hidden) other than to steal some of the Valet blade sales, hence the "Valet" cut outs in later blades.
    Or am I just being cynical?

I'm home now so can show you what I mean.
    From the left: a Valet blade, Gem, Despined Gem.
    There's no need to do anything other than despine the Gem blade.
    IMG_20190425_151631.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    jimjo1031, clint64, brit and 6 others like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Tabac Thursday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Rinse
    Tabac
    Jayaruh #343 Synthetic
    Ever-Ready 1909
    Vintage Gem Cutlery SE
    CWR
    Tabac AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Tabac Shave Soap face lathered well with Jayaruh #343 Synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Ever-Ready 1909 razor with a Vintage Gem Cutlery SE blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Tabac AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

jimjo1031, clint64, brit and 9 others like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Thanks, that saves a bit of work. I just reloaded the autostrop without nibbling the blade. It does work but those cutouts are a little bit smaller than the valet ones. They do affix the blade securely but it takes a little adjusting to get the blade even. I am going to give it another go in a few days.

clint64, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  14. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

The actual tang (ignore the cut out) is pretty much the same and they and the blade stops hold it securely.
    I'm convinced to steal blade sales from Valet was the reason for them being there, being under the spine they have no purpose.

clint64, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  15. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Blackland Sabre L2
    Gem PTFE
    IMG_20190425_181411.jpg
    First go on this blade, I normally use a milder razor for the initial shave, and it felt a little rough but no claret was spilt, so all's good.
    Happy Shaving one and all.

jimjo1031, clint64, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  16. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Today's shave:

Tabac Original soap
    JR 305 brush
    GEM stainless blade

and...

3D printed TNNSER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, clint64, PLAla and 11 others like this.
  17. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

Super cool sir!

clint64, PLAla, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

[​IMG]
    I do love the extreme curve of the top cap on this OC Dammy. When I rinse it under hot water and bring it back up to "ride the cap". That warm cap feels great!

Also...can't explain it...but this perticular razor does shave better than any of my other Dammies did. I can't say if it's the ooen comb or the extreme curve of the top cap or what. But it is an extremly efficient, and comfortable shaver. Kind of in it's own class. I think I could recognize it blind-folded!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jimjo1031, clint64, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Interesting!

clint64, Linuxguile and riverrun like this.
  20. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

The purpose of the notches is to hold the spine in place. It's crimped into them.
    IMG_20190425_162152_compress_0.jpg

Some years ago my dad gave me a box of tools that he no longer used after he retired. Among them was this awesome pair of parallel-jaw duckbill pliers. They're perfect for all of the ways that we misuse Gem blades, like despining and inserting/removing from Autostrops. ;)
    IMG_20190425_162910_compress_28.jpg

jimjo1031, clint64, BigD and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.