Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

[​IMG]
    My first SE is still Batting them 'Out of the Park!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

clint64, BigD, Jayaruh and 10 others like this.
  2. Bird Lives

Today I shaved with the first SE razor I ever owned. HoosierTrooper/Tom set me a care package many years ago, that contained a Gold ER 1912 with the Ornate handle...a Gold Micromatic pre-bumps, and a HFT/G-bar.

They were all beautiful and I was speechless! I guess Tom was tired of hearing me extoll the virtues of the Schick Injectors so much!!...

Any how...I had heard enough about the MM to be a little scared of it...But at the time I was mainly usung shavettes I had told Tom I wish I could find a Classic Safety Razor that shaved as close and easy as the Shavettes had gotten for me. So I think thats what inspired his picks.

Long story short, I tried the Micromatic first and fell in love from the first stroke. He also sent some Treet Supers, so my first SE shave was with a Carbon

But NO!! There was no break in period for me. I knew the MM's rep for being a wildcat, but I soon learned she could be a very efficient "pussy cat" if treated nicely!

I had watched the video by MrGuy( )

And handled the razor like that and got perfect shaves from day 1!

Here she is today, after many years of residency at my shave cave.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

To those new to SE's...don't fear the Micromatic...She shaves as good as she looks and she beat Gillette to the TTO punch by a couple years..And did it with more style.
    Her mechanism works like an antennaed gadget from the Jetson's! When the door closes as you turn the handle you notice how sophisticated this is. It closes and then robotically slides everything forward just enough to achieve the optimum shaving angle!

Yep...no wonder GEM had so much faith in this razor that they stopped producing anything excepr rhe Micromatic razor from 1929. The production of the 1912 was moved first to Ever Ready for a short time and then to Star. GEM so loved the Micromatic, they put everything they had behind this engineering marvel and it's incredible shaving prowess.

If you find it too aggressive. Experiment with the angle. Some lay it down almost flat on their face...Some drop that angle a bit. I myself put it flat and dropped the angle and followed the sound and feel. Check out that video, and good luck! My bet is most will LOVE IT!!

Terry, clint64, BigD and 10 others like this.
  3. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

My Goodness, has hell frozen over???? If my eyes aren't deceiving me I think Lloyd used a MICROMATIC. I knew you'd come around eventually.

clint64, Ron R, Bird Lives and 2 others like this.
  4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Thursday 23rd May

[​IMG]

Heno de Pravia Glycerine Soap
    Monsavon Shaving Soap
    Omega 11137 Boar Brush
    Schick E2 (Canadian) with a Schick Blade
    Witch Hazel
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Gotas Frescas Agua de Colonia

3 passes for a Face Feeling Finish!

clint64, BigD, Jayaruh and 9 others like this.
  5. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Thurs 23rd May

Simpson Chubby 1 / Maggards 2 Band
    La Toja Stick
    ER 1912-Bathroom Set
    Gem S/S [ 5 ]
    La Toja A/S Lotion

Today I used an ER1912 [ ex Bathroom Set ] which I think is probably the best British one, as this and the Peerless Set were designed to take modern Gem Blades. The fact that the usual 1912 chatter almost disappears is not of concern, as the Razor shaves very smoothly, and delivers without any problems a first class close all round Shave.

IMG_0503.jpg

clint64, BigD, Jayaruh and 11 others like this.
  6. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Lakewood Soap Co. | Sweet Orange Chili Pepper
    RazoRock 400 | Noir Plissoft
    The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 7

[​IMG]

clint64, BigD, Jayaruh and 10 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

awesome set and pic sir..

clint64, Hembree and 120inna55 like this.
  8. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

clint64, brit and Hembree like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Autostrop VB1, modified gem stainless ptfe blade, shave 4.

I already had 3 shaves in on this blade on a B1 so I decided to switch it out to see if these razors differ. The answer they do big time if this shave is any indication. This is the best shave I've ever gotten with an Autostrop, even better than the A1. I don't know how much it has to do with the razor or technique but one thing I noticed is this razor and blade combo really tugs on hair unlike the other autostrops I've used. Tomorrow I shall see if I can replicate the shave results.

asvb1.jpg

clint64, Jayaruh, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  10. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Friday 24th May

[​IMG]

Cold Water Shave
    Heno de Pravia Glycerine Soap
    Erasmic Shave Bowl
    Zenith Boar Brush
    Ever-Ready 1912 (Bathroom Set) with a Treet Super Blade
    Witch Hazel
    Dove Moisturiser
    Old Spice Original AS

An 'Old School' shave using my recently acquired NOS Bathroom Set
    3 passes for a finish as smooth as a Billiard Ball.
    Just a few more hours to go before the start of a long weekend:)

clint64, BigD, Jayaruh and 9 others like this.
  11. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Fri 24th May

Stirling Syn. 26mm
    Stirling Baker Street
    ATT SE- G
    Gem S/S [5 ]
    Pitralon Classic A/S lotion

I find the the ATT SE-G very nice to hold and shave with, but despite being tweaked it still does not deliver me the closest of Shaves. I gather from the fact that few appear on the Shaving scene, that this has not been the most successful ATT creation.

IMG_0504.jpg

clint64, BigD, Jayaruh and 7 others like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For anyone who is curious about these I did a look over between the B1 and VB1 and found they both load the blade at different angles. The blade loads a little more perpendicular to the handle on the VB1 than the B1 also the lever goes a little further to lift the guard higher on the VB1 than the B1. Whether that is due to modification or designed as such I wouldn't know without looking at another VB1. I can say it doesn't look like someone took any pliers and bent it or messed with the screws on it.

The one thing I've noticed regardless of model the flater the blade when the guard is locked down the better the shave with these earlier version autostrops that can use Gem blades. The A1 and this one are almost the same and in turn the best shavers I've used thus far. The B1 with the blade point more so downwards and next best and finally the VC1 which was the worst and most mild, the blade had the most downward angle when the guard is locked down of these.

clint64, Frijolero, Boru62 and 3 others like this.
  13. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Cobra Classic
    Schick Proline P
    IMG_20190524_182152.jpg
    A really refreshing shave on a warm day which left me as pleased as Punch.
    Happy Shaving one and all.

clint64, BigD, Jayaruh and 8 others like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Autostrop VB1, modified gem stainless ptfe blade, shave 5.

Shave fell off a bit from shave 4. With that said this razor is still a much closer shaver than the B1 for the way I shave but I would say a little bit less close than the A1 when all is said and done. The reason for the drop off in the shave I am pretty sure is I didn't shave for a day. When I skip a day I tend to get a closer than normal shave with a razor when I do. Tomorrow the A1 is up to compare then finish off this blade in this razor.

I'd also have to say unless this razor is somehow modified from it's original configuration that if someone asked me to recommend them an Auto Strop that can use Gem blades I'd tell them to buy a VB1. The A1 is maybe better pending a comparative shave or 2 but this one unlike the A1 will be a lot easier to acquire. I am just starting to realize how lucky I was to acquire an A1 period let alone how little I paid for it.

asvb1.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    clint64, BigD, Jayaruh and 7 others like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Upon even further inspection it is not the lever that is the cause for the extra lift on the blade for the VB1 vs a B1 it is the actual tabs and comb itself are bent with slightly flatter bend from the B1. I did a test with my VC1 and done to see if I could modify the angle of the blade to be flatter like any of the B models. You can and it does work but to do it correctly and evenly you would a piece of tooling to bend the guard upwards evenly on both sides and across the teeth or else you wind up with a smile in the teeth and a bent slant like blade. With that said I am pretty certain my VB1 is original since it is straight without any smile in the comb.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    clint64, Boru62, brit and 1 other person like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

clint64 and Boru62 like this.
  17. Bird Lives

My man, that Micromatic was my first SE razor..And a favorite...You're the one who got me sidetracked with that package you sent with the ER 1914 and 1924 in it!! I was born-again "Shovel-Headed"!

That sent me on a mission to get a 1909ER and one thing led to another...lol!!

And it was a great journey...I can't thank you enough...Now I'm revisiting my "roots"..and if my Dad is watching...Don't worry Pop, I'll always be a bonefide Schick-Head deep down...

Frijolero, Boru62, brit and 1 other person like this.
  18. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Sat 25th may

The Grosvenor [ 404-mixed]
    Vitos Super Red
    PAA Starling OC plate
    Gem S/S [ 7 ]
    Jaguar Prestige A/S Lotion

Though I find the Starling feel quite harsh during the Shave, I was able to complete the Shave without any problems. Considering the fact that the Razor is fairly new to me, the quality of the finished Shave is rather good, streets ahead of the ATT SE-G used yesterday.

IMG_0506.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    clint64, BigD, Jayaruh and 6 others like this.
  19. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

:thanks: Gary.

clint64 and brit like this.
  20. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Blackland Vector
    Feather Pro Super
    IMG_20190525_162752.jpg
    The weekend got off to a flying start.
    Happy Shaving one and all.

clint64, BigD, Jayaruh and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.