Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I guess you do...It's beautiful....I got my str8 chops together onetime when Steve Swarden called for a Str8 Week...at the end of that week, I was so determined I took what we would call now, a 30 day focus.....Which turned into 6 weeks....But at the end of that time I was getting very close, and I'd even say relaxing Str8 shaves with a Turkish Shavette....Later I tried a nice vintage real str8 and it was much more user friendly than the shavette was...much more...
    Bottom line...The time spent in that learning endeavour taught me alot about angles, and the real meaning of 'light' touch...}8^))...and about the subtleties of how my beard grows, direction and which way to pull the skin to get the hair to stand up....Sooo I am now a firm believer in spending some quality time with str8s...whether or not you plan to go that way, every day or not...

Like you said, slow and steady....light touch....and if the blade is at the correct angle, you can even buff with it...It's not all that cutthroat...There has been alot of bad press that put a fear out there that is not nessasarily justified...

You shed no blood on your Maiden Voyage, so it only gets better from here......:happy088:

AGHisBBS, Rufus T., Hodge and 6 others like this.
  2. Bird Lives

I'm the same way....I'm certainly not a collector...I'm constantly thinning and culling....I only like to keep my favorites, and I pif the rest....

AGHisBBS, Rufus T., Spyder and 4 others like this.
  3. Bird Lives

Today's Shave
    image.jpg
    Oh My......Today's kit embodies just about everything I love about TWS...:love055:

And the results are stellar and getting them was a joy...

Have a Great Weekend Everybody!

AGHisBBS, Rufus T., Hodge and 10 others like this.
  4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

[​IMG]
    SOTD Sat. 4/16/16
    Pre Shave Cleanser: Noxzema Classic:love029::love055:
    Pre Shave Oil: RR Essential Oil of Lime:love029::love055:
    Shave Soap: Palmolive Classic:love029::love055:
    Shave Brush: Semogue 620 Boar:love029::love055:
    Razor: GEM 1912 Art Deco:love029::love055:
    Blade: GEM (2)
    After Shave Balm: Stirling Mita:love029::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Soap: Grandpa's Sandalwood & Shea Soap:love029::love055:
    Cologne: Lapidus by Ted Lapidus:love029::love055:
    [​IMG]

Good morning everyone. This morning i took the GEM 1912 for another spin. Today i decided to hold the razor on the lower end of the handle and it worked great for me as i like longer handles on most razors, this made the GEM feel more maneuverable and zippy to me. I'm used to more aggressive razors so it took a fair amount of work which resulted in some irritation on my neck area but with my light touch i can't help but wonder if it's the blade? Are these GEM blades the preferred ones? I kind of solved the under the nose wtg issue which was aggravating me by using the large head on the razor to push my nose up out of the way. I ended up with another dolphin smooth shave but again with some irritation...that bothers me. Have a great shave and a great day folks. Ice bucket pic below. :)

ice bucket3.jpg
    pic12.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

04/16/2016
    Gem 1912 Damaskeene
    GEM PTFE (4)
    Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    Tiki Cabernet Neroli
    Witch Hazel
    Folsom & Co Capri
    Whipped Shea Butter

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, Rufus T., Hodge and 8 others like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep, this crew is good at enabling..

7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Gem blades have a reputation for being a bit Rough in this Razor by many for the 1 st Couple of shaves..A 1912 with a Gem Blade is No Favoured SE of Mine..I use the Original Stropping Blades & its a Different Razor altogether..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

Rufus T., Spyder, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. Billyfergie

:signs011:

Spyder and Karl G like this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Yeah Billy, I'm just not loving this razor :( On the bright side, Injectors have been dreamy for me! :happy036:

Spyder, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  10. old-school shaver

old-school shaver Well-Known Member

Billy any ideas on where a guy can get his hands on a couple of those Original Stropping Blades.
    Ken P

11. Billyfergie

If you Go into all Categories on EBay & Search for Ever Ready Razor Blades loads will come up. Usually as Blue Boxes with a Guys Face on them..Like this One for Example..They are sometimes Referred to as Corrux Steel..EBay in the UK & USA has them for Bidding & Buy it Now at the Moment..:)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVER-READY-...136318?hash=item257fdf633e:g:r0kAAOxyaRZR1FaM

12. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Saturday April 16, 2016

Ernst Scharff Rapide
    Rapide wedge blade (7th shave since honing)
    Maggard Razors synthetic brush
    Chiseled Face Groomatorium Cryogen soap
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal aftershave

On weekends when I have extra time I find myself reaching for one of my wedge blade razors - "wedge blade weekends" I guess. :happy088:

I've now used this blade for 7 shaves since honing it and it is still smooth and wicked crazy sharp.

--Bob

Rufus T., Bird Lives, Hodge and 9 others like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You motivated me to hone up a Rolls blade for this afternoon shave. I started with 12 micron and moved to 9,5,3&1. Then stropped. Blade looks really good thru my loop.

Off to shave now
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Rufus T., Hodge, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a good price and a great little razor. Enjoy.

Rufus T., Spyder, Redfisher and 3 others like this.
  15. Billyfergie

Try just Finishing the blade off on Leather without using the Rolls System Tom..You will get a Keener & Smoother Edge..:)

Spyder and Karl G like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Billy

I did, and I must say that sucker is sharp. As i just finished my shave. Finished with a CCS on 3 passes. I need to really work on stretching my skin when using this setup. If it is not stretched enough or correctly it is not smooth. When stretched right, wow it just wipes it away. This is also the first go without the guard.

I will be using this all next week I think. Need the practice.

Tom

Rufus T., Hodge, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

To all that sharpen their wedges on lapping paper. How light of pressure do you use? I also did 15 laps per side per grit. Is that about right? By the way I only applied enough pressure to make sure the blade made even contact a ross the lap.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Ah..Now you are Feeling a Proper Honed & Stropped Hollow Ground Blade...Amazing aint it..Yeah Dump the Guard...Its a Hindrance when Shaving... Sometimes the Angle of that Blade is so Vertical that the Top of the Wedge is Hugging my Face..:eatdrink047:

Spyder, Karl G and twhite like this.
  19. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Tell me more about how you do this. Do you apply any pressure to hold the blade down like with your thumb? Is the paper wet or dry? Appreciate anything you can tell us to help.

Spyder, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  20. Billyfergie

Less is more Tom in my limited Experience..I am Doing about that then check it before moving on..Depends on the Condition of the Blade..I am using just the weight of the blade..If the blades in Bad condition when setting the Bevel more pressure can be used..On the Final Polish..No pressure at All..I reckon the more experience one gets the more you get to know what you are looking for at each stage..:)

Another thing..Once you can Hone the blade to Wicked Sharp getting it to be Smooth & Comfortable is another Matter..Then of Course different strokes for different folks..People enjoy an Aggressive Shave & others may prefer a More Forgiving Blade..Thats the Good Karma of Honing & Sharpening you're own blades to what Fits You & youre own preferences..I am a beginner here as well Tom..I think their is a Lifetime of Playing here..:angelic007:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.