Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello folks, it's been awhile since I had used an injector razor, so I dug out my only remaining injector, an adjustable Schick from the 60's. I had an E-Type, but I just couldn't get very good shaves with it, so I PIFed it to a passaround box awhile ago. So anyway, this adjustable injector is an awesome tool. I just had the most amazing shave. It took a minute to find the right angle for my faces contours, but I can tell you this razor delivered a full scale BBS. I know it will take several shaves to become proficient, but with results like these in my first shave with this razor in about 10 or so months, I am sure it won't take long to relearn this razor. I am extremely pleased with this injector. I could never make my old E-Type sing like this one does. Don't get me wrong, I'm a devout DE user, but for an exciting change of pace, this is a great alternative.

[​IMG]

Thanks for hearing me out, have a Blessed night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Hi Karl,
    The Streamline was designed to take a modern Gem, so need for a Shim [ Billy may well confirm]. The Streamline is one of my favourites , I get irritation free close shave every time.
    Mike B

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Tue. 7/19/16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not more than an hour ago I had a wonderful shave with the above listed products. The G-Bar is an excellent SE and capable of providing a very efficient shave if your angle is on point. KMF provides wonderful coverage and very nice skin feel. A dolphin smooth three pass shave. Have a great day friends. :happy005:

BearCWY, Douglas Carey, Jim99 and 9 others like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

It's a great razor. :happy088: Try it out sometime with a twin blade - it's a whole 'nother thing altogether. YMMV and all, of course. :D

BearCWY, Douglas Carey, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD July 19, 2016

Blade: GEM Stainless
    Razor: GEM Featherweight
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: Country Club Cahaba Blues
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Boll Weevil Freedom after shave soother, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, XTG

Pretty good shave this morning with the Featherweight. First pass reduction wasn't up to its normal standards and I think my lather was to blame. Not quite wet enough, so it was a little thick and pasty and perhaps clogged up the razor a little. I'm using the same set up tomorrow so I'll work on a more hydrated lather. The Cahaba Blues soap is really great stuff!

I went with two passes and ended with a good shave. Probably should back off on the pressure just a little and let the razor do its job. I have a couple of areas of skin that feel a little overworked. But all in all a good shave.

Have a great day!

SOTD 7-19-16.JPG

7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Hmm, that could be. It is the newer version. :signs002: But since it comes with a stropper I assumed the heavier spined vintage blades are what it was designed for. Then again, once I get the honing thing down it'll be a moot point. I'm going to use the Streamline to develop my technique refreshing and maintaining old blades. :happy088:

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  9. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

+ 1 with that, total transformation,:cool: its HOT HOT here:p

10. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

I bought my Schick adjustable right after I received my first Pal Adjustable because I believed the Pal was defective (It wasn't, I was). The Schick is an amazing shaver and they really did an excellent job of designing the adjustment dial for fine tuning the aggressiveness. It always shocks me to see the amount of ingenuity that people put into shaving instruments back then. Very nice razor:happy088: Now, to remedy that only injector problem...;)

11. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Man. Something about that razor makes me think of some tough looking Harley Davidson with all the chrome gleaming like mouth full of teeth. At first glance I thought the Kiss My Face was Kiss My A@#:happy102: Like starting your day with a punch to the face! Beautiful shaving instrument sir!

12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Thank you Aaron, it's a great performing razor. :)

13. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

I think that the strop/stropper included with the Streamline/Ambassador/Jewel etc. was mostly for show. They were quite pricey at the time (some things don't change :whacky011: ) and I believe were primarily intended to be used as gifts - graduation, retirement, etc. They all came in nice presentation cases. Modern blades were in common use at the time, and almost universal when the later version was introduced in the 1950's.

--Bob

BearCWY, Douglas Carey, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

This has had me thinking and I remembered the set came with 6 NOS blades in the holders. So, I checked them out (see pics below.) Sure enough, same dimensions as a modern SE blade. :) I guess I'll be developing my refresh and maintenance skills for my Damaskeene or 1914 or... :happy036:

Streamline with blades.jpg
    That's a modern GEM SS PTFE on the left and an original blade from the set on the right...

Streamline blade GEM comparison.jpg
    ...and here is a side-by-side of the GEM and the original Ever-Ready blade. :happy088:

BearCWY, Douglas Carey, Jim99 and 8 others like this.
  15. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

The strop in a Jewel or Streamline is not just for show. However it is for a particular type of blade. The older carbon steel. The CS blades when stropped cleaned up for a possible 1 or 2 extra shaves. There is virtually nothing to compare with the precise shave quality of these razors. A light touch is imperative as they really are pretty efficient and they will reward with BBS every time. With the SS Personna they are stunning. No shim needed.

16. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Can someone please tell me the difference between a GEM 1912 and a Damaskeene? From what I understand the Damaskeene has a more rounded cap but is the shave similar? I'm trying to decide between a Damaskeene, G-Bar and a Shovelhead, I already have a 1912 and an MMOC and I'm looking for something different. I appreciate the help.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  17. spidey9

A Damaskeene is a type of Gem 1912 razor - the first type, to be specific. Gem introduced the Damaskeene blade at the same time that they introduced the 1912, and early 1912's are stamped "Use only with Gem Damaskeene Blades," thus they are referred to as "Damaskeenes." Gem also called them the Damaskeene razor in some of its advertising. There are several variations - earlier ones had a curved cap, later models had the flat cap w/beveled edge used on later 1912's. In 1919 Gem Cutlery Co. was acquired by
    American Safety Razor. Damaskeenes make prior to the merger have "Gem Cutlery Co" stamped on the back, post-merger models say "Gem Safety Razor Corp."

[​IMG]

The earliest Damaskeenes were open comb. These are quite rare and are highly sought after. The closed comb Gem Cutlery Co. Damaskeenes were produced 1916-1919, and the post merger ones 1920-1921. The last Damaskeenes simply say "Gem Damaskeene Blades" as ASR was producing other brands of blades. Sometime in the early 1920's Gem dropped the Damaskeene marking entirely and the inside of the base plate is stamped "GEM Brooklyn New York Made in USA." These are sometimes called the "Brooklyn 1912's."

The Damaskeenes, especially the early curved cap models, are considered by many to be the smoothest shaving of the various 1912's. In my own experience the difference is subtle - I can get a great shave from just about any 1912.

--Bob

Redfisher, BearCWY, Jayaruh and 9 others like this.
  18. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Thank you for all of the info. My GEM says Brooklyn inside, it looks like this:[​IMG]
    Is it a Brooklyn 1912?

BearCWY, Jayaruh, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  19. spidey9

Indeed it is, although "Brooklyn 1912" (or sometimes "Brooklyn Gem") is not an official model designation - it's an informal name used by collectors and wet shaving enthusiasts.

--Bob

BearCWY, Jayaruh, twhite and 6 others like this.
  20. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Both Streamline Models were Designed for a Stropping Blade to My Knowledge..I find they shave fine without a Shim..I Never Did get round to Trying a Shim in a Streamline cause it Shaved So Well..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    BearCWY, Jayaruh, twhite and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.