Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Just to add to what @spidey9 said, the handles on the Damaskeene razors are different from the other 1912 Gems. The Damaskeenes have a rounded knurled handle, while the other 1912s have typically have a five sided handle. There are some small variations with the Damaskeene handles, but all are basically the same. I have both the rounded head and the bevel head Damaskeene and the shaves are virtually the same and equally spectacular. Then, of course, I feel the same way about the other 1912 Gems!

BearCWY, Billyfergie, Jayaruh and 5 others like this.
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hey man...I can dig it......don't get me wrong....I piffed all my DE razors but one after rediscovering the special magic that a great injector razor can bring to a shave....

Sounds like you have a great one there....and that was the first shave in many months....They only get better....:happy088:

BearCWY, Billyfergie, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  3. Bird Lives

Damaskeenes and 1912's :git:

BearCWY, Billyfergie, twhite and 5 others like this.
  4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Wed. 7/20/16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excellent shave this morning with the PAL Adj. injector razor. This Arko extra shave cream provides massive coverage and a very pleasant scent. It's funny how we evolve as shavers. When I first began traditional wet shaving I was a mug and bowl latherer mostly concerened with the scent of my soaps and croaps. Now that I'm strictly a face latherer my main concern is performance. Arko delivers in the performance arena. This Fine brush performs very well as do my other brushes but nothing compares to my Semogue 620 and that's why it's mostly what's seen in my SOTD's. Three passes and a dolphin smooth finish. Have a great day friends. :cool:

5. Robyflexx

Ben, get the G-Bar!
    5512721+_d34cde67023b4e9cd0730ac57ed4469d.jpg

BearCWY, Billyfergie, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD July 20, 2016

Cold Water.jpg

Blade: GEM Stainless
    Razor: GEM Featherweight
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: Country Club Cahaba Blues
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Boll Weevil Freedom after shave soother, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Good shave again today. Not a great shave as even the witch hazel burned a little bit and I still have a slight burn feeling on my sensitive neck areas. I had better lather than yesterday but I'm not sure if its the lather or the razor or the blade, but something isn't quite right with this combination. The blade feels okay, and I've used the Featherweight before with good success. However, the Cahaba Blues soap is one of my favorites and has always been a top performer. So it's a little confusing!

I'll use this setup again tomorrow before changing on Friday. Hope you have a great day!

SOTD 7-20-16.JPG

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well put Roby!

8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

9. Bird Lives

You are so right! It's fascinating...The Zin of Shaving could be the title of a future Doctoral Dissertation....I'm not kidding....Even a simple thing like comparing aftershave and soap scents....after a short while, I became much more aware of all scents during the day....I first noticed it when my wife had worked on a new floral arrangment. I just walked by it not noticing but then stopped and loved the floral fragrance, I even made a comment about the rose and lavendar fragrance. She was so happy I noticed...Before, this shaving hobby, I couldn't have labeled those scents so quickly...It's actually enriched my daily life....and also, like you, the performance of my soap or cream definitely takes precedence.....And also like you, I am a lover of Arko....I have been a lover of Arko for years now...I think I will always be so....
    There are many things to be learned in the pursuit of our Zen Shaving Experience.

BearCWY, Billyfergie, zec668 and 4 others like this.
  10. Robyflexx

Very insightful my friend. :)

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I also see that my shaving preferences have evolved over the last year and a half. I started with DEs and now I lean towards SEs and SRs as my preferred razors. Soaps, well I now prefer tallow soaps with strong fragrances. My favorite brushes now are boar and I love to break in a new one. I look for the performance of the razor, the scent of the soap, the feel of the brush and the history behind the vintage equipment. It's a real eye opener when you discover that a 100 year old razor performs better than a new one!

12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

OK, I'll offer a different opinion - get the Shovelhead - you won't be sorry. Then again, I'm pretty certain most everyone reading this is thinking, "Just get them all!" :happy036:

13. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I think that's inevitable. How will I know which one I like unless I try them all?

14. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

The Pal Adjustable is an amazing shaver all the way around. For me there is noting that looks as nice as this razor. The designer, Henry Dreyfuss, really outdid himself with this beautiful, sleek shaving instrument! Every time I see one in a photo I can't help, but drool a little:) Great pic as always!

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  16. Robyflexx

:thanks: Aaron, I couldn't agree more. It's a sleek beautiful futuristic yet minimalist design. What many folks who do not own one don't know is how substantial and hefty this razor truly is. Love! :love055:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    zec668, BearCWY, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Here's another subtle difference. The head of the Damaskeene sits higher from the end of the handle than the Brooklyn 1912. Here are the two side by side: 1912 and Damaskeene.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  18. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Wednesday Shave
    [​IMG]
    Brush- RazoRock Tri-Colored
    Razor- Schick Fashion Razor aka the Hussy
    Blade- Schick (1)
    Soap- Stirling Barbershop
    Post Care- Crystal Alum
    Thayers Witch Hazel
    Osage Rub
    Bombed Florida Water

So so shave today. The highlights were the Stirling and the finish. It was my first try with the Hussy and while I'm completely smooth there was a lot of irritation. The grip was a little awkward at first but rather easy to find the angle. This razor is very light weight so I had to keep reminding myself not to use pressure. I'm not sure if that was the reason for the irritation or maybe I ruined the blade inserting it. I'll try a new blade next time to make sure. This razor does all angles well and it was easy switching to my left hand. I used two fingers with a firm grip and it followed all of the contours of my face. If it wasn't for the irritation it would have been a phenomenal shave. The alum burned like crazy, I almost reached for my Nivea balm but doubled down and grabbed the Osage Rub. A nice burn to seal everything up. The highlight was right when the burn/chill of the Osage Rub was at its peak I hit it with my bombed Florida Water. What a great feeling, lots of cold and at least I smell purdy. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

19. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

The PAL Adjustable & Injecto -matic are very underrated Razors. Got nice cased ones to pass on to Sons.

IMG_0758.jpg

zec668, BearCWY, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  20. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Should the blade in a Schick injector with the "release spring" type be flipped on subsequent uses ? Is the blade only designed to be used in one direction ? Does flipping increase blade longevity ?

Of the many injectors razors I've had only one has the "releasing type" spring that allows for cleaning. It's my latest and greatest injector the E1.

Off and on topic does anyone know if E1 Schick injectors were only made in the U.S. ?

BearCWY, Billyfergie, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.