Irish Moos shave stick.........

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by rollsshaver, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, translated it would bean "irish moss" and that's about it. A fresh yet warm, soapy, woodsy-grassy kind of fragrance.

2. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Ok, so I had a German speaker help me out on that website. Roughly $35 to ship a tube of $6 cream to the US. No thanks. Not sure what the limits on a group buy would be or if S&H would go up accordingly.

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well the site doesn't say anything about accumulating charges and if someone would order like 15 or 20 sticks as a group-buy...

Even if I did the group buy I'd have to pay €9,90 to get the lot shipped to me and another 10€ to ship each stick/tube individually to the USA...

4. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Thanks Klaus. I guess Irish moss would be a better scent for a soap than Irish Moose.

5. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

No option seems very economical to me. Also everybody is talking about "sticks". I am referring to the tube of cream. Not sure if we're on the same page here or not. Regardless it's an expensive proposition. I'm going to look on eBay.

6. alabamalawyer

alabamalawyer Member

If it makes you feel any better, I had a stick of the stuff and didn't like the smell. It had a fresh, grassy scent that had a sweet edge to it that I did not like. I like Tabac and was excited to get the Irisch Moos but ended up trading the stick away due to the scent.

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

TOBS Avocado has that same scent. I like it. I also like Tabac. The nose knows right? :D

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

stick or tube - same difference pricewise. As far as the shaving cream is concerned, I'd definitely go for the old version (marked Muelhens, 75ml). I don't really like the ingredients list of the new version (just like the Tabac SC), the old one was much cleaner.

9. alabamalawyer

alabamalawyer Member

To my nose, it had a sweeter edge than TOBS Avocado. I have the TOBS cream and like it. The Irisch Moos had a hard-to-describe sweetness that my nose didn't like. Of course, I will probably be in the minority on that opinion. :D

10. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Shep, I am on a hunt for the stick. It is a totally different animal than the cream. Just like Tabac cream is not as good as the soap. The IM stick is what we need.

11. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Say all the bad things you want about it Chris, that will help with my self imposed buying restriction.

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I've never tried Tabac cream. I do know what you mean though. There are several brands that have good soaps and subpar creams.

Just stop already! You know you're never going to pull this off and we know it too! :D

13. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I'm not a native, but I am/was fairly fluent. Shipping 1 tube to the US would be just under 20 Euros - I used the XE currency converter, and that only came to ~$26. I agree that is still a bit high for a shave stick. But it does look like it is a flat rate, so it could be a potentially good deal if enough people got in on it. However, you would probably want to contact them first and verify a) how much they had in stock to order, and b) whether there truly is no upper limit on that shipping cost. I'd hate to tell 20 people I'd do it for them, only to find out they only had 10 in stock, and that it would cost twice as much to ship 10 than 1.

If there is enough interest, it might be something to look into. I believe they do remove VAT for U.S. orders, putting the stick at 3-4 Euros, and shipping was just under 16 Euros. I'm not sure at what point it would be cost effective. But if you had, say, 16 people each wanting 1 stick, then that comes to about 1 Euro each for shipping, plus ~4 Euros for the stick. The exchange I saw was about 1 Euro = $1.30. So $6.50 per stick, plus then costs for the person on this end to ship to you. So maybe somewhere in the ballpark of $9 for people in the CONUS for this scenario.

14. alabamalawyer

alabamalawyer Member

Hey, it's my attempt to quell everyone's AD and save money. We all know how successfull this will be. :happy102

15. rollsshaver

I wonder if it would take over two months to get like it has over on B&B. Of course, $9 is better than the $16 we paid anyway.........

16. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Tell you what. I'll send an email to that website and see what they have to say. Hopefully somebody reads English!

17. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

No clue - do we know if it is the same distributor? I haven't ordered anything from Germany, so I don't know what shipping times are like from there - plus you would have to factor in customs. Honestly, the high shipping costs have always turned me away from such purchases. It is amazing how ridiculously expensive it is to ship from there. Honestly, regardless of size, they are charging ~$20 in shipping alone.

18. rollsshaver

You know what, Shep. For a cop, you're alright.

19. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

If you want, I can try to do it in my German. Might help speed up a response.

20. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Email sent. If I get back a big ?, I'll let you know Doc Mike and you can try.

Rolls trying to butter me up again. He must want something!!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.