Irish Moos shave stick.........

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by rollsshaver, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Well, ya see. There was this bar out the in ole Arizona. Shep, I swear she looked 18!! :eek:

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

mmmmm, butter.....

...but when Rolls woke up, he realized that, because of induced-dyslexia, she was actually 81....

3. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Just to be clear this is what we're talking about right?

4. rollsshaver

Yup.......................

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

yep

6. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I actually went ahead and sent an email, asking if there was an upper limit on how many a person could buy, and whether the shipping costs increased. The response was the following:

"Sie koennen so viel kaufen wie Sie moechte. Wir muessten die Irisch Moos nur bestellen falls Sie eine groessere Menge haben moechten. Das Porto wird immer Berechnen da wir innerhalb Deutschland nur 4,95 zahlen."

As I understand it, they said that you can order as much as you want, and they'll order more if they don't have enough. I also believe the second half means that the shipping cost will remain constant at 15.88 Euros.

I did a test order for 15, and the cost for shipping did remain at 15.88. They remove VAT for U.S. customers, so the total for 15 sticks came to 74.98 Euros, which by the exchange rate I used came to $98.08, or $6.54 per stick. Not a bad price. Now, I believe that credit card companies will tack on fees - I have read it can be as much as 6% - for international transactions, which would put this just over $100 - still under $7 per stick. Add in shipping costs once they arrive, and I think this could still be doable for under $10. I think 15 would be the minimum order you would want to keep costs under $10. That is, of course, assuming CONUS, and no paypal fees. If you go up to 20, then it is just over $6/stick.

I am now intrigued by this soap. Tabac without the Tabac smell (which I hate) potentially. At $6, not too bad - someone would just need to be willing to be the middle man.

I did notice, though, that paydepst, who runs Superlather.com, said he was in talk about getting Irisch Moos products in stock a while back. Does anybody know if anything came of that? That would be a potentially much easier route.

Anyways, that it what I found out. Sorry, Shep, if I wasted your time in contacting them.

7. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Additionally, it looks like you can get Tabac soap in the bowl for about $14.40 - tack that onto an order, and it is a pretty good deal. The cheapest I have seen Tabac for is $15 from QED, and that is before shipping.

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I got no response so they're probably still looking for an English speaker! Good job. And that is a decent price. The only thing is factoring in a couple extra (around 5 I think) dollars for the middle man who will have to package and mail them again.

Superlather doesn't currently show it on their site. I emailed him to ask what's up. We'll wait to see what he says and then maybe put up a poll asking how many are interested.

9. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

Mike, I'd be interested in 2 if you're doing this.

All my credit cards are 3% forex (foreign exchange) fee, FYI, but I had to call and ask to get the number (it's not anywhere on your statement)

Cheers.

J

10. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Yeah, I got to thinking that you would want to add a little more to cover shipping supplies - even cheap bubble envelopes will cost something.

And correct me if I am wrong, but in looking at the size of this soap, although it is in stick form, it looks like it is about the size of a normal puck. It lists net weight as 100g - the size of a puck of Harris soap. Can anyone confirm if that is including any kind of packaging (how is this stuff packaged), or if that is the size of the soap itself? If it is actually 100g of soap, then this would be a great deal. I think the Harris sticks are much smaller.

11. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Hmmm, I've been contemplating that, but am waiting to see what all happens with this. I would also have to okay something like this with the wife - she might want the money up front, so she doesn't end up with a lifetime supply of some soap shipped from Germany that nobody wants!:D

12. sol92258

She? or Ye?

and, I don't think you'd be stuck with it, there's plenty of love for it

13. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I'd be left with it, but I wouldn't want the potential of losing money on it - not enough interest, having to sell at a loss, etc. With my luck, someone would back out, then all of a sudden a domestic retailer would get it in stock and sell it cheaper, and then someone would accuse me of selling it too high!:D Something kind of similar did happen to me before, so the wife would be highly irate if such a thing happened again.

14. sol92258

oh no, I'm not blaming you for erring on the side of caution, 'tis my normal mode of operation...I'm just saying that I don't think you'll have a problem selling them (now, you may have to setup a "lemonade stand" big enough that the folks "across the street" can see, but....)

15. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I would be up for paying up front. It would alleviate any issues and guarantee nobody would back out after paying;) Group buys at any size are and can be a major PITA and I believe the person that is the middleman is obligated a percentage of the $$$ strictly for taking the initiative and overall time involved. I am also very aware that boxes....bubble wrap.....tape add up. At the very least....the buyer should at least get his Irish Moos paid for:) Basically I think its a good idea to pre pay. Money up front is always the best way IMO.

16. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

If we do go forward with this (let's wait and see what Superlather has to say), I would insist the money transfers occur up front. In looking at this website it appears to me these containers are smallish and rectangular in shape so bubble wrap envelopes wouldn't cut it. They will have to be mailed out using mailer boxes. They are relatively cheap, but do add some little bit of cost to the shipping. Off the top of my head I'd say we're in the same neighborhood as Rolls mentioned regarding the B&B purchase: $15 or so.

17. rollsshaver

The envelopes I get can hold two tubes of AV Ice balm still in the boxes, plus extras. I believe Bong got his stuff in one. I see no reason that they cannot be used for these sticks. They are cheap too. Matter of fact, all the stuff I sent out last time was in the same type envelope.

18. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Yeup, there were 2 boxes of Ice balm, 2 open comb razors and 2 SC samples in the bubble mailer, pretty amazing.

But rolls also did manage to send me a huge wooden bowl of Kanon shave soap in a flat rate ENVELOPE. I couldn't believe he managed to do that one.

19. rollsshaver

You just have to utilize the available space, and fold the top over to seal it.

20. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

This soap intrigues me to no end.

If someone can arrange for a bulk purchase, please count me in. I would also pay up-front.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.