Irritation on the neck when I go ATG on the third pass

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Alex7, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

No matter how hard I try, I always get irritation on the third pass on the neck when I go against the grain. I use a Wilkinson Sword Classic, a 24mm knot Maggard synthetic shaving brush, a cream(Palmolive, D'amaris, Denim) and a D'amaris aftershave. Anyone else who has irritation after the ATG pass? Could use some advice.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Alex,
    My neck is notoriously sensitive. My BEST advice to you is forgo the ATG pass. It's not worth it.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Droo78 and Leo501 like this.
  3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

:signs011:

I had the same issue, I solved it by just doing two pass shaves.

4. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

2 suggestions:
    • Skip the 3rd pass or
    • Stay with the grain on the 3rd pass

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

If you can’t go against the grain, try almost against.
    For the sake of this discussion. Imagine your face as the compass points.
    And that the hairs grow from n to s.
    south is with the grain.
    East or west would be across the grain.
    North would be against.
    Instead of north, try cutting ne or nw, maybe even north by northeast or north by northwest. Mowing not dead against, but at an angle close to it?

or just stick to two passes, or a third buffing pass across.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Is it possible you're going for that last tiny bit of cleanup on the third pass and so are unintentionally pressing too hard to get it?

7. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Try ATG on the second pass.
    I'm not kidding.
    Also, what blades are you using? I've found that blade choice makes a big difference. I don't know your razor, unfortunately, but try a sharper blade and less pressure. Or a smoother blade if that fails.
    Many will disagree with me, but I had similar problems until I got the hardware and technique right. I think both are important.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    gorgo2 and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

My lower neck grows out almost parallel to the skin. Only an ATG pass gets the clean shave, but most safety razors can irritate if you are off on your game a little. I mostly just avoided ATG work and opted for comfort.

Open edge tools was a good solution for me.

I have a couple of the Focus Dynamic R48 1/2 DE Single Edge pivoting head razors. They work well for me too. Once you get the hang of blade loading and applying the right pressure it is smooth sailing. Not for everyone.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Several years ago I started going ATG all over, pretty much every shave, starting with the first pass low on the neck and working upward. Sounds nasty but it's not a problem if I shave every day or two and not let it get too long, otherwise it's asking for trouble. Anyway, that's how I usually get a quick BBS (or close enough to it) in 2 passes with little to no irritation. Sometimes in 1 pass, depending on the razor.

And buffing is the key!

10. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

Go with an open comb. Irritation comes from either pushing down too hard, or going over the same spot too often.
    With the O.C., there is more blade exposure, so you don’t have to put pressure on the skin to get close, and
    since you get closer, you don’t have to go over the same spot as much.

Edison Carter likes this.
  11. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Today I made only 2 passes: One WTG except the neck(where I have irritation) where I went XTG and the second pass ATG everywhere. Better results with no irritation.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Looks like you have your answer. Glad you got a better result

Ijustmissedthe50s and Alex7 like this.