Irving Barber Co (IBC) Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Loved this part! Next time snap some photos - or a video - of it being in use in the barbershop if you're allowed to - that would be amazing :)

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    @snuff I'm surprised at how closely our reviews picked out the same 'issues.' Fingerprint magnet and lack of jimps being the biggies.

I still need to post my review over at the shaving room, but it's a pretty similar experience, minus the "loaned to a barber" coolness factor. :)

3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Just got off the phone with Ricky. The first part of the first order was 110 razors, the second part just came in, another 600 razors. The chrome models will be available again in a couple weeks, and some of that shipment will be reserved for colors, engraving, etc. to be released after the holidays.

Going forward, the packaging will be more international shipping friendly, a leatherette storage pouch.

4. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I'm not that surprised, I think most people will have the same remarks. Please do post yours on the shaving room, always nice if more people give their take on a piece of equipment even if there experiences are along the same lines, that will tell the ones interested that the remarks made are not of one individual alone.

I'm already over the fingerprint thing, I mean I'm just a individual who uses razors as a hobby, it takes me a extra minute at most to get it back in pristine condition so not a deal breaker. I don't really miss the jimps but would love to hold one who has them to compare, might be a improvement but not sure.

5. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I'll ask on Monday.

6. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

Yesterday evening and this morning another two very pleasurable shaves with the IBC.

The makers advice to only use DE blades for cutting the edges of one hair like in the neck but I can asure you that a complete head and face shave with a DE blade is very well possible.

A tip for those who might find the razor a bit to slippery (I don't have any problems with it): Just run your fingers over a alum block before picking it up and your good to go.

I did find one area where a improvement could be made: The pivot screw is very difficult to use, a normal screwdriver doesn't fit in there (too shallow), I had to use the back of a small kitchen knife to tighten it up.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I used the IBC to shave my cousin's head (sans mohawk) today. Unfortunately, I didn't have a third person to take pictures. The shave turned out great, no nicks or weepers, though he did yelp a bit from my liberal application of Pinaud Clubman after the shave was done.

8. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

He's a wimp ;)

Some more info on the IBC compared to the Feather DX razor:

The head is somewhere between that of the DX and Feather SS in, blade exposure is the same (here with a super pro blades in both). Face feel with the IBC is a bit more like with the SS and might just require a little less precaution when shaving then the DX. But please remember I've used the DX for years so it's not fair to make a real review so soon of the IBC, so far I like it, I really do. Weight of the razor is 55 grams.

If you want to compare with other shavettes here are some weights:

15g Tondeo Ergo/CRP Sifter Ergo
    15g Dovo Shavette Alu
    16g Wilkinson
    16g Tondeo
    21g Dovo Shavette Stahl
    22g Sedef
    25g CRP Sifter
    27g Jaguar ORCA
    29g Hartmann 4/8
    34g Tondeo TM
    39g Sanguine X-D 20
    40g Revisor 5/8
    40g Vanta RA111
    40g Dittmar
    42g Dovo Prima Nr. 4 11/16
    46g Rudi Schaaf, 6/8
    47g Gold Dollar Nr. 66 13/16
    47g Wacker Red Head 13/16
    50g Monsieur Charles
    50g Kai Captain Excelia (Kamisori)
    51g Zwilling-Friodur inox, 11/16
    53g Monsieur Charles
    55g Feather AC
    56g Kai Captain Excelia folding
    59g Revisor 6/8
    60g Wacker Dorko 7/8
    61g TDJ China-Shavette
    66g Malteser Nr. 44, 8/8
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN and Darkbulb like this.
  9. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Tough competition going against the feather toe to toe like that...

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You ever tried to put Injector or DE blades in a Feather? ;)

The IBC holds it's own. Though I'll be the first to admit, the fit and finish on Feather razors is crazy good.

11. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

My comment is based on looks alone. I'm sure the IBC is a nice tool, and the cost comparison for blades favors the IBC.

One comment from my barber was that he prefers to "see the blade"...so he hopes that the next batch will include different color options.

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Received this shavette from IBC yesterday!

This one should be really interesting to try out.....

I love the look, feel, shape and weight of it so far...next up is how it shaves...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I received my shavette. So of course the first thing I did was try to load a Feather Pro. No matter how hard I tried I could not get it to load properly, it was slightly askew to the razor. Did anyone else have this problem?

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I haven't tried Feather blades in it yet (cause I don't have any). The only thing I can think of is that the blade holder portion needs to be rotated one more time (tightened) or the thumbscrew is too tight, causing the blade holder to warp.

Are you saying that the notches to hold the blade are askew?

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I wondered how long you would hold out. :) I predict that you'll love it and complain that it gets slippery when wet.

Keithmax likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

You forgot "that I can see my fingerprints all over it" :)
    We'll see...hoping to try it out already Thursday and/or Friday of this week

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Would you be able to post a photo showing it?

18. Keithmax

The notches are not askew, they seem parallel. Once rotate the holder back in to place it is not holding the blade tight enough and the blade ends up lower on one end. I have tried to make as tight as possible but as I tighten it goes out of alignment.

I will try it again this weekend and also try a DE blade.

19. Keithmax

I will try again this weekend and then post pictures if I can't get it to line up.

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'll try to pop a Feather into mine as well tomorrow and see how it looks.