Is it just me or is the Merkur Futur and Vision UGLY

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jpb437, Jan 1, 2014.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If by "unwieldy" you're talking about under the nose, I don't have an issue ;)

battle.munky likes this.
  2. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Good point. If I had to choose between the vision, the futur or the Fusion I would have to go with one of the Merkurs. I kind of want to buy a vision now just to try it out and see if it grows on me.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I never minded the look of the Futur at all. I've found it to be a fantastic attempt to get some who prefer more futuristic looks of things, into DE razors. Never tried one and probably never will but its rather rare I've seen complaints about them.

4. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Now that you mention it I always hear good things about them both.

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've wanted to try the Vision since I got into wetshaving. I like the way they look.

Problem is that I don't want to buy one and I don't know anyone who could/ would loan me one.

I want to say Commander Adama used a Vision on an episode of the new BSG. It didn't look like he had a blade loaded, though.

fram773 and GDCarrington like this.
  6. casper

casper Member

the vision reminds me of that robot rosie thing from the jetsons. its just the dumbest looking razor iv ever seen. the futur i could see shaving with, but wouldnt give that vision a second thought. everybodys taste is different, i sure prefer a slim, or super adjustable short myself. its like some of the new cars, i just look at them and say, man what happened to them.

7. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I'm sure most of you have heard me speak of the Futur's virtues many times. I have very large hands and prefer the long, sculptural handle to the short vintage ones. I get close, comfortable shaves and took to it naturally. Definitely not for everyone but it's certainly for me. I tried to love my Fatboy but though I liked its heft, I couldn't get comfortable with its length. We all know that razor is revered by many. Definitely a case of different strokes...

Tdmsu likes this.
  8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

+1! I with you on this one. Just too big and clunky for me. But I hear they are good shavers.

9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Yes it does look a little.. 'alien'.. GORTINATOR.png

10. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I have avoided them simply because of the looks. I love the new razors BECAUSE they look like the old ones.
    Ford, Chevy,Toyota, its a personel preferance thing anyway.
    I just dont care for the whole idea of trying to make a razor that uses 100 year old blade technology look like a futuristic whole new tool.
    I have never used one but does it REALLY give a shave $100.00 better than an EJ or Merkur?
    Just say'in.
    Its great we have the choice though, what appeals to me someone else may find repulsive.
    The fact that we do have so many choices says good things about our hobby.
    Man, can I ramble, or what? :)

Tdmsu and battle.munky like this.
  11. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Actually, they are Merkurs. The Futur can often be found used for under $50, which can be considerably less than some vintage models. If you buy one used and don't like it, you'll almost always be able to sell it for what you paid, so they have their audience.

12. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

What is the main difference between the two, aside from size? Do they function the same?

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Looks are very subjective - which is good because otherwise we'd all just have ONE design that we'd all like :)

Personally I must admit that the futur and vision are not very visually appealing to me.

14. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Futur is 2 piece; meanwhile the Vision is also a TTO, and disappearing as it is now out of production if I remember correctly.

15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Got it, thanks

Ford, Chevy,Toyota, its a personel
    preferance thing anyway.

If I could find one for $50.00 Id get one just to see what all the fuss is about.
    No luck yet.

2014-01-02-01-47-42.jpg

16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Same price here in EU - around the $80 mark.

17. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I read the Vision can be set to a much milder setting than the Futur. I also read both can be adjusted to be more aggressive than most people can handle. Again I have never used either one.

18. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

YMMV of course but I find the Futur on 1 very mild. Maybe a bit more aggressive than a Tech. Probably milder than a Super Speed. The Futur does get aggressive fast though. It's usually enough for me on 2 or 2 1/2. If you ever want to try a really aggressive razor, just turn it up a little more. 6 should probably be labeled something like this for "Nuclear Option" :)
    [​IMG]

Cool Breeze likes this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Futur can, as Brian stated above, get quite aggressive. Anything over the 4 setting (5 to 6) begins to rival the hyper-aggressiveness of the R41—so it's not to everyone's tastes.
    I usually keep it at 4; 4.5 if I've several days growth. For light touch-up, 3 or less, the Futur does a fast, efficient and quite audible job.
    I've seen Futurs on the used market fetch $50-60, which seems about the average. I picked up my chrome Futur for less than $60 (in brand-new condition) via forum classifieds.
    [​IMG]

Tdmsu likes this.