Is it just me or is the Merkur Futur and Vision UGLY

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jpb437, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I paid $55 for mine in the forum classifieds. It's the only DE I've kept (95% straight shave now). When I want a quick, efficient shave or just a change of pace it comes out.

jpb437 and Tdmsu like this.
  2. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Now That I have been staring at them both for 3 days straight I am kind of starting to like them. But only just a little. I actually want to try out the vision now that I see it is such a behemoth.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The only adjustables I have are vintage Gillettes(my second or third razor buy was a FatBoy), so I guess I'm partial to them..While looks are of course a "YMMV" kind of thing, it's more the size, than the looks that put me off..They both look absolutely "GIANORMOUS" and I really just don't see either giving me a better shave than my Weber DLC or Cadet OC...:)

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I see a used chrome Futur for sale for $45 (on a another forum)…that's a very good price & probably won't last long.

Raven312 likes this.
  5. Nolan1982

Nolan1982 Member

I was wondering if you can check my post regarding the Merkur Futur. I use it probably once a week in my rotation and can't seem to stop my head from bleeding =)

6. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

thats about half of what Ive been seeing.
    If you want onel and happen to be a member of the unnamed forum, thats a great deal

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Over-priced and ugly, IMHO.

HolyRollah likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A subjective 'truth', but I think you'll find that's the case in almost any field of merchandise...

Designer snakeskin shoes for $1,340/pr… ;)
    [​IMG]

feeltheburn and jpb437 like this.
  10. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

You gotta be kidding, those kicks are "pimp"
    :)

11. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Well played sir.

12. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

just to clarify, I hate the word "pimp"
    And yea, those shoes are gruesome, point made

Tdmsu and jpb437 like this.
  13. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Those would look better as cowboy boots though.
    [​IMG]

14. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Active Member

The Futur was my first DE Razor. I wouldn't suggest this to anyone lol! After using the Gillette Sensor Excel for 15yrs and jumping head first into DE w/ the Futur I can say my forearms were nearly burning (not to mention my face!) by the time I was done..

I own a few different brands, weights, etc. Already and can say I do enjoy the Futur more now that my technique has gotten better..

The Chrome is a thing of beauty!! Unfortunately I got the brushed, wish I had gotten the Chrome now that I see them. Ah well, I am on the look out for the matching Brush though..

HolyRollah likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Futur is a wonderfully-efficient razor; gives incredible audible feedback during the shave, and can easily go from comfy to wild with a few clicked of the adjustment head. It certainly wouldn't be my first recommendation to someone just starting out with a DE razor. Glad to see you survived the initiation! :happy088:

Raven312 and StraightEdge like this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Used my Futur this morning, dialed in to just a tad under 3. Had it loaded with an ASR Platinum Chrome; TSD Sun Dried Cotton provided a fantastic lather.
    Results? BBS, as is most common with my Futur :happy108:

StraightEdge, Raven312 and HolyRollah like this.
  17. rellano

rellano New Member

Got my vote for ugly... let's hope other manufacturers don't catch on.

18. Pf3427

Pf3427 New Member

The Futur is one outstanding razor in my opinion. More user friendly than one might believe. If you're considering it, give it a try.

19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

(IMHO) Future more resembles a ripping hammer than a razor.
    [​IMG]

20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Resurrecting an old thread? The razors are still ugly.

battle.munky and Radiotube like this.