Is it just me?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by battle.munky, Mar 3, 2016.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Or does there seem to be quite a bit of derision and/or trolling finding its way into TSD lately?

I've noticed in the last month, there have been a few altercations that used to be crazy rare on this forum. Folks popping in and claiming that we are ruder than the other forum that is notorious for rudeness and flames.

I see the members here trying to diligently combat these invasions with patience and kindness for the most part but I would like to understand what the heck is going wrong to make folks feel like they are being jilted. Maybe I'm used to the forum and just know how to read most of the folks that have been here more frequently? Maybe I have just been clicking differently and my new pattern aligns more with the contentious? Perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive myself and reading into things, although I think this isn't the case; could be though, I'm not perfect.

I hate to see such a friendly forum getting pulled down into the internet abyss. I find myself trying to censor/add disclaimers ( see below) in order to try and prevent flame wars a lot lately. I wish we could all maintain our opinions without people feeling like they are being pile on. Maybe where those folks come from is hostile to the point to where everything they read or say they feel needs to be defended?

Also, this is in no way a knock on any of the mods or in any way insinuating that they aren't policing well enough or anything.

What is your take?

Peace, love, and fluffy lather to you all. :D

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My take is a grain of salt. ;)

You came in not too long after I joined.
    I would agree that there seems to be a lot more "over sensitivity" of late.

You said, "Maybe where those folks come from is hostile to the point to where everything they read or say they feel needs to be defended?"
    I would agree.

I know part of it is because of the lack of non-verbals in the written word that are so vital to true communication.

I know part is because I get in a mood and hit POST when I should know better. For those times, I hope I have apologized before upsetting too many people.

Hopefully this will be read by a majority, folks will understand, and things will settle down.

Then we can all go shoot hoops! :sport001:

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I try not to feed the trolls. I enjoy this forum for the reasons you mention, its a fun place and there isn't much conflict or condescension. It happens every now and then, and I just avoid commenting on those threads. I know I have fired off a few private messages that weren't as well thought out as they should be, but I think those issues were all resolved. I tend to be very short in my written communications, and sometimes it is interpreted wrong. I do the best I can with it, and enjoy interacting with everyone.

4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Not sure I've really seen anything abnormal lately, but it is an open forum, so it's impossible to eliminate all negativity and/or hard-headedness. I think, for the most part, this forum by and large has some of the nicest and most gracious members around. Hopefully at least a little of that will rub off on those that may not fit that description.

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Our humor standards are so high here the mighty TSD can ride out any storm..:happy069:

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I've seen some of what you're talking about, but not much compared to other forums.

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It's all just you. :p

But, seriously... I haven't noticed anything unusual. But, then too, I'm sure I don't look at all the same threads as you. Hopefully, "normal" gets restored soon.

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Right. I'm not saying it is rampant, but certainly an uptick here recently. I'm just hoping the trend doesn't continue.

Spyder, waddowedonowmo and Robyflexx like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Related to;
    -political climate? Primaries got folks sharing opinions.
    -cabin fever? I understand it's still winter up north.
    -other forum pograms? Has there been an Exodus, giving refugees here?

If I think something should be discussed in a less than public way, I've learned to take it to Private Conversations.

10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'm oblivious to, to put it kindly, the crap. I've had nothing but great conversations, met great people and had fun on TSD. And on top of that, I've learned a few things. What's a troll anyway? I thought the lived under bridges with bad internet connectivity.

SRNewb, Jim99, MarshalArtist and 9 others like this.
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Meh, if some folks come in here with a herky jerky attitude, maybe they're riff raff anyway. I'm all for peace and love but I'm certainly not gonna take any guff either especially from someone I don't even know. YMMV and all that. :)

Jim99, 178-bplatoon, Spud and 5 others like this.
  12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Why do you think they're so angry?

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

We need a sarcasm font too.

14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The HELL WE DO! ;) :rofl:

Herm2502, 178-bplatoon, RyX and 4 others like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

Spyder, ob1page and battle.munky like this.
  16. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I've only been here a few weeks but everyone I've come in contact with has been great. If there's negativity or a hateful attitude I've yet to experience it.

Herm2502, Jim99, 178-bplatoon and 7 others like this.
  17. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a sarcasm font -- just sayin'

Jim99, 178-bplatoon, ob1page and 5 others like this.
  18. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

With the diligence and quality of the moderators here, I believe and trust they notify members who the moderators believe are out-of-line so to speak.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

There we go! The @waddowedonowmo Sarcasm Font©
    Almost borders on CT worthy.

Not to be confused to Scarcasm. Them's words that leave a mark.

20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

They're angry cuz Darkbulb got all the razors and the cookies too??