Is it just me?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by battle.munky, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy102:

ob1page likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I've only been here a few weeks as well, and I find this to be a great and friendly forum. I can't say I've seen any rudeness at all. I hope the old quote "If you don't see it maybe it's you" doesn't apply.. :)

178-bplatoon, macaronus, RyX and 6 others like this.
  3. jmaier

jmaier Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any more than usual (which is almost none), but I feel like there's a strong enough community here to lead by example, keep things fun and deter the trollery. Any trolls who do find their way here will surely find the climate wholly unsatisfying for their type and go back under the bridge.
    [​IMG]

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:signs021:!

5. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any uptick in aggressive behavior here. There always have been and probably will be those who feel compelled to inject the fact they don't use carts into cart threads but we just ignore them. Since the other forums don't even tolerate cart discussions a bit of snobbish jabbing once in awhile is no biggie.

6. jmaier

jmaier Well-Known Member

Sad but true. If there's anything that threatens the resurgence of traditional wet shaving, it's this sort of aggressiveness (passive or otherwise) toward cart users. Everyone wants an enjoyable shave and we all have something to learn from each other regardless of which equipment works best for us. Bashing on cart users--which represent a huge portion of the shaving market--only pushes them away from these communities that fuel so much of the interest and demand for diverse shaving-related products. I often wonder how many traditional wet shavers are drawn to it more for novelty rather than results, which would explain why they want to exclude as many people as possible.

ob1page, RaZorBurn123, 45auto and 2 others like this.
  7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I cannot say I have experienced anything negative here. Nor have I noticed others posting in this way.
    I think that with blogs and email it's easy to misinterpret what people say. There's no tone or body language to assess. It's easy to fill in the blanks yourself and misconstrue.

8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Some of the easiest going and fun members here started out with shrill posts and pedantic or patronizing posts. The good humor of the collective that is TSD soon brings them around to enjoying this hobby and this fellowship. Generally trollish posters will have to slink off after a few well placed and good natured joshes. I know I was guilty of posting a few provocative posts to try and get a rise out of some folks and then I met a real skunk and that put it all into perspective.

ob1page, Spud, Drygulch and 11 others like this.
  9. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Hay I know that troll in Fremont!

10. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I guess I missed it! But I don't go to every thread. This is a great place!:eatdrink047:

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I haven't noticed any poor behavior around here. I think that this is the friendliest of the shaving forums, except for these recent examples of trollphobic posts. Those of us of the Troll persuasion can't control our posting preferences and should be treated with love and respect. Back to the rafters.

12. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

I've only been here for a little over two months, but in the short time I've been here, I've found this to be one of the friendliest online forums. I can't begin to tell you how many forums I've stopped visiting due to the nastiness I've observed at them. The friendly nature of TSD is what keeps me coming back.

What I will say, however, is that I've seen a few posts every now and then that make the poster come across as a bit arrogant/condescending. To be fair, I'm not sure they mean to be. It's really difficult (for me) to tell if they're really that full of themselves or if they don't mean to come across that way but do because I don't know them well enough. Plus, when I read their comments, there's no tone to them like spoken words have, and I can't see their body language to gauge the overall tone of their comments. With that being said, I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not trying to be jerks to the OP or to the members of this community in general.

13. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Because I am not a collector/hobbyist, I don't read threads that pertain to those interests. What I do read doesn't seem to be out of line with expected behavior. I think it's good we leave room in this forum for people to express strong ideas, unpopular opinions, and deeply held beliefs. It is unreasonable to expect people not to come come into conflict sometimes. From my vantage, I don't see much conflict either.

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I couldn't agree more and the few recent posts I've seen weren't this, they were more accusatory of us Denizens being judgey and/or rude, which I just haven't seen. And then passing a blanket judgement onto the whole of the forum for being just like all the other shave snobs on the other forums.

We have always been the chilled out "It's your shave, enjoy it your way." forum IMO.

Overall, I'm really glad to read that most folks aren't seeing this trend or that I'm just being overly critical/cynical in this respect. I can handle being the one reading into things as long as everyone else is feeling the good vibes we general propagate here.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

battle.munky, mrchick and Robyflexx like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I haven't noticed these posts. I'm sure they happen once in a while but I believe the general tone of this forum will win out. Unhappy people like this will go away, as they will be unhappy on any forum. Have fun!

17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's always difficult to tell via written word. I find myself getting far less frustrated when I give people the benefit of the doubt.

18. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Was that your CT before you made this post or did you get caught?

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well-Known Member. My CT was bestowed many years ago.

20. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I think he meant for the whole forum.

swarden43 likes this.