Is it the razor or the person using it?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by markjnewcomb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have been using straights almost exclusively for a while now. I have about 15 different straights. I bought all of these used and re-honed them myself.

Two of the razors just don't seem capable of shaving my face. They both cut arm hair very easily and pass the hanging hair test. Both of the razors that don't seem to cut are 4/8s, but I have about 5 other 4/8s, all of which work fine. Looking at them under 60X, they both look the same as other razors I have.

So, does anyone have ideas why these don't work? Is it operator error? Can it be a honing error? I did refresh the edge on both of these without any apparant change.

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yes, and yes. Or, maybe one or the other. Hard to tell. . My guess would be the honing, if the others are shaving fine.

Billyfergie and markjnewcomb like this.
  3. DaltonGang

Do you have pics of the suspect razors??

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  5. markjnewcomb

I initially suspected that the honing was not correct. I rehoned them using the samer methods I used for all of the other razors. If my honing technique is suspect, does it seem reasonable that only these 2 failed two honings?

BTW I don't know if this makes any difference, but I use diamond stones down to 3 microns, followed by stropping with 1 micron diamond infused strop, then 0.5 micron diamond infused strop, then 0.25 micron diamond infused strop, and finally stropping on leather followed by stropping on Kangaroo leather. This is the same method I used on all of the razors I have.

Sorry, I do not.

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Could be these two razors just have to be handled differently from the rest. They may require additional attention as to how they contact the hone (are they warped at all? smiling or frowning edge? same grind as the others?). SRs are rarely the same size, the same grind, the same steel, and most have different degrees of hone wear.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Billyfergie, Keithmax and gssixgun like this.
  7. markjnewcomb

I don't think they were handled differently than the others. But, I considered that and reworked them all the way from a coarse stone (325 mesh, 45 micron) down to kangaroo leather. They are not warped and look under magnification to be as smooth, straight, and clean an edge as any other razor I use. They neither smile nor frown, and none of my others do.

Could it be the metal they are made of? Maybe they're just junk razors?

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If I may, I believe Kevin meant to say, "...these two razors just have to BE handled differently...", meaning it's a technique thing.

DaltonGang and HolyRollah like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

FIXED. Thanks! Yes, I was implying they may NEED to be handled differently than the rest. Without images or looking at them first-hand, I'm just guessing.

Could be—or not. I suspect they simply require a different approach than the other razors.

Billyfergie and swarden43 like this.
  10. markjnewcomb

Ah! I think I will borrow a friend's stone set and see if that makes a difference.

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Hehehe I have heard this really experienced honer say it once or twice :p

"Honing is really easy, until it isn't" circa 2009 ~gssixgun :D

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have had similar experiences, a razor has all the indicators I honed it properly, it looks good through the loupe, it shaves arm hair but for some unknown reason it wont shave my face. I tried and tried again to rehone it but could never get it right.... so I sent it out and magically they came back shaving great. I sent these problems razors to Glen
    @gssixgun, Scott @DaltonGang and Whipped Dog. Just send them out, it is one of the mysteries of life.

13. DaltonGang

Borrowing a man's Razor Honing Stones??? I hope he is a really good friend. It's kind of like asking your friend if you can borrow his girlfriend for the night, just for dinner and a movie. :ahem:

14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

As Mentioned Above..Honing is Easy Until it Aint..You are Talkin 3 Razors..So..Sounds Like Honing Issues..Various Steels & Tempering Coupled with Hone Wears Stuff Can Highlight Holes in Ones Honing Skills..The DIFFERNT things Done & Learned on the Hone to Overcome these Issues are Really at the Hands of the Beholder..Its Hard if Not Impossible to Pass these Subtle Skills on in Forums..:eek:

My Attitude is..Always Keep an Open Mind to Learning..They Should be Able to Shave from the 1 K Bevel Hone..On the Face that is..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

gssixgun, Keithmax and markjnewcomb like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Very much what Billy has said. I want to add, that I have pretty much overcome many issues that could possibly come up, when honing. I did this by buying many old razors, in a variety of conditions. I have run into just about every issue I've seen talked about on this site. The best way to overcome honing issues is to figure out the issue the razor has, then adjust your honing techniques and overcome the issues.
    The only issues I haven't been able to overcome is poor steel(Anything from Pakistan), over polished blades(too much heat, leading to loss of temper), and totally worn spine or blade.
    Also, posting pics of the problem razors can help us diagnose a problem you might have overlooked.