Is Straight Razor really superior to a Shavette?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Oskar Gustavsson, Nov 2, 2017.

1. In Sweden we have a saying, "You eat with your eyes", meaning that the better the food looks, the better it will taste. I assume the same can be said about shaving :D:D

2. Elaborate please.

Dansco and Billyfergie like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Unless, of course, one finds SRs to be just as enjoyable, or even more so, than using a shavette.
    Then it is time & money well spent! :happy088:
    No risk, no reward.
    ;)

Spyder, mrchick, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Dansco, Spyder, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

"Pretty" doesn't shave the face. Looks do not mean a whole lot compaired to performance.

And I've seen some pretty good looking food that tasted terrible.
    For example, turkey bacon. It is just wrong.

Dansco, Paul76, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have that razor and highly recommend it. Mine is a pleasure to shave with and looks great on the counter.

But it from a vendor that will hone it for you, it is not shave ready from the factory, but once properly honed it is easy to maintain.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Uh, huh. Them's some of those"fighting words" Huh, Billy?

@Oskar Gustavsson Having mastered shavettes, your transition to straight may be easy. You have the muscle memory and know how to do the motions. I started shavettes before I got a shave ready straight. I cut myself much less with a straight because they are more forgiving, and I had the prior experience. The Dovo in your photo is round point and looks to be 6/8" or taller so it qualifies as a "Starter". The good news is if you don't like the shave you may be able to recover a majority of the investment.

Dansco, Spyder, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That’ll work. I’m using mine in the morning. Great shaver.

9. mrchick

But a fun waste

Dansco, Spyder, RyX and 2 others like this.
  10. Keithmax

I will do the same and shave with my Bismarck.

Spyder, mrchick, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  11. Keithmax

I primarily uses straights with DE, SE and shavettes add for variety. Only you can decide what is best for you. I can get a great shave with any of the different razors but the feeling and nuance of the shave is different.

Comparing shavettes to straights:

I find that straights are more forgiving and kinder to my skin. Straights are the kindest to my skin of any razor type. Straights do take maintenance and if your edge is off then the shave is.... well terrible. When the edge is right, it is a joy. Shavettes do not need the same maintenance as a straight but do require an added level of attention and care.

I prefer heavier razors so I prefer straights over shavettes. I also enjoy the maintenance and they just plain look cooler to me.

I will go against the crowd and say that straights in general are sharper than DE or SE blades. My opinion is that DE and SE blades feel sharper because they are much thinner and also have coatings. A properly honed straight is not only sharp but smooth, which hides some of the feeling of sharpness. I do not know what the final grit DE blades are honed on but I usually finish my straights on a 16k or 20k hone.

For $400 you have a huge range of options, the key is that is properly honed.

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Enabling being helpful.jpg
    I'm a fan of The Inspired Shave concept. When someone goes to the effort to Enable me to purchase a product it's only fitting that I thank them by enjoying it when I see others also using it.

Dansco, Spyder, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  13. mrchick

I like it. Bismarck day

Dansco, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I’m in!

gssixgun, Billyfergie, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  15. mrchick

[​IMG]

16. Keithmax

Mine is stroped and ready for tomorrow’s shave. :happy088:

Billyfergie, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  17. mrchick

I prefer polka-dots over stripes with my razors

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The Bismarck is an exceptional shaver! One of my best, if not the best, shaver I own. I’ll send you a pm of a great vendor.
    EAECC415-6F47-4301-8A72-3E81E4530DD0.jpeg

19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :happy108:

Billy..:chores016:

mrchick, Keithmax and gssixgun like this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet!
    Would it be wrong to post the vendor here, along with a link, so we all might enjoy the benefits of a "great vendor?
    Just wondering.