Is there a "best" alum block?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by olafurson, Apr 22, 2009.

1. saturnine

saturnine Member

I found the Crystal Body Deodorant STICK at Walgreens/CVS, but it was Ammonium Alum as opposed to Potassium/Potash Alum. Just thought I would let people know since they say the Ammonium flavor may impart more sting. I could not find the "Rock" style.

I'm going to try a Whole Foods tonight & give up finding it locally if they don't have it.

2. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

I agree the RazoRock is a handy little thing, esp for travel...but for home use it quickly starts wobbling in the handle and leaking salty puddles that dry into salt rings on the counter. I ordered several but ended up giving all but one (for travel) to newbies. I much, much prefer Em's domed alum blocks for home use...and Mama Bears wooden soap dish to prevent the dried salt rings.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I've never had a problem, but I don't shave my face.

I have however read people complaining about irritation or some such problem from the RazoRock. I have not used one though, so I can't speak from experience. Just what I've read.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm one of those who have experienced the irritation from the RazoRock. I'd been using it just on Saturday's after my weekly str8 shave without too much trouble. I took it to Maine with me and used it three days straight. That's when my neck started feeling raw. I used witch hazel for the rest of the week and the problem cleared up.

Mind you, RazoRock is the only alum block I have used thus far. I don't know if I would have the same reaction from other alum block makers.

5. saturnine

saturnine Member

I found a similar offering to the Crystal Deodorant, just a diff. manufacturer. It is potassium alum with aloe vera. So is the Razorock ammonium alum? I wish these sites would list the ingredients, I don't like guessing.

I envision I will have the same problem as this is a push up stick also. There is already a lot of wasted space in the container & the plastic isn't recyclable. I just wanted it quickly but I will be purchasing the block naked in the future.

6. CaptainK

CaptainK New Member

Hmm ... must be another one of those YMMV things. I've been using mine daily for 3 months already, and it's still solidly anchored in its handle. I don't know why it would come loose; its length slowly reduces with use, not its diameter. Plus, I've never noticed salt stains, but I dry mine with a tissue after each use and cap it before storing it.

No, Razorock is potassium alum. That's mentioned on their site here.

Razorock is not a push up stick. It's cylindrical with a rounded top, anchored in a plastic handle. No edges or or corners that need to be smoothed out by the first dozen or so uses.
    [​IMG]

7. swarden43

Yup. Same thing here.

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I use RazoRock myself and haven't experienced any of the issues described in this thread. Guess it's one of those YMMV things. I bought 2 of them which I use 1 as a deodorant and the other as shaving alum.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I got mine from Appleton Barber Supply. It is a domed top version:

http://www.appletonbarbersupply.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=396&bc=no

The only issue with buying from Appleton is that they have $10.00 flat rate shipping, so you really need to buy a few items in order for it to be worth it...

But that is not a problem for me! A few packs of blades, a rubber mug, and Osage Rub or other aftershave from Master's or Clubman is enough to fill the box up...

10. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

Yeah, I dry mine as well but the little hole in the bottom drains water that gets trapped between and beneath the block and the holder. The salt rings actually etched a couple of light rings into our travertine stone tile countertop where I would set it.

11. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

For those experiencing irritation...are you rinsing the alum off your face after a minute or so? I know some don't rinse and I've heard that can cause irritation.

12. swarden43

Yup. Rinse for sure. Mind you, I only experienced the irritation after three straight days of use. Before that I had only been using it maybe once a week, usually after my Saturday Str8 Shave.

As for drying the RazoRock, yes, I do that also, but it still became loose in the base and leaves little salt/alum/whatever rings.