Is there some way of telling your hairs are soft enough BEFORE you start lathering up?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by SlaveShaver, Jun 23, 2017.

1. brit

brit in a box

i shave in the evenings mostly and not after showers. i cold water shave all the time.i use proraso white,red or green preshave cream after washing my face with a good cleanser.after 2-3 minutes(lather soap) i wet face again and apply lather.never any pulling or tugging unless blade is dull.this works for me,but maybe not others.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

We are cutting hair with steel, also over thinking it badly, if we phrase it like that. Too much prep is far worse than none.

jmudrick and Bookworm like this.
  3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If you do too much prep, you're not shaving, you're primping :) (nothing wrong with that, just being realistic).

Clean face, clean hair, sharp blade, some sort of slick substance... and an optional blade holder, right, @Bama Samurai?

BaylorGator and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Fuzzy approves of this message.
    One defination of insanity is doing the same thing the same way every time and expecting a different out come. Seems to me the op here has not changed from what he was doing when having his initial problem. I would suspect the problem will return as prep or lack there of is the least of the issues that cause irritation.

5. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

It is interesting you mention this. I started a thread in the General shaving forum about feeling like I get a closer shave going 2-3 days versus shaving everyday, and some thought that taking the time off just gave your skin time to heal, versus facing the razor everyday.

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

All I've found is that if I've had a rough shave, for whatever reason, shaving daily will keep it feeling rough. Giving it a day or two off makes the next one feel on its own merits. If I'm doing good shaves, then shaving daily isn't a problem. I've been shaving every other day (or so) simply because of time (and other reasons).