Is this a #44?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BlueShaver, Sep 6, 2019.

1. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I received my latest aquisition today (after 6 lost weeks in the wild). I saw it and took a punt after reading positive comments here regarding Gillette New RFB razors.

It didn't look much in the photos but up on receipt and inspection, i am delighted.

The blade case is full of period correct (1930's) 7o' Clock blades all of which are sealed and unused. There are a few dents in the case which i can rub out (mostly) and there is some tea-staining on the leading edge of the cap, but apart from that, It looks unused. Very minor wear on the head/handle interface confirms this imho. I have not cleaned the case or the razor short of a wipe over. I don't think this has been cleaned by the seller either.
    The lid still springs closed and shut but its a little misaligned which i can also fix.

The razor and blade holder appear to be (i think) silver plated. They have a slight yellow patina which polishes away to a silver esque shine.

It is quite the beauty.

@mr-razor 's site suggests this is a New #44. But his are not hollow handled nor silver plated.

What is it?

I cannot wait to use it!

You have to hand it to yhe English Gillette company. They really did make great pieces. I frown at todays cardboard wrapped alternatives.

No wonder me and @brit love them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

It is beatiful and I am sure Gary @brit can identify it.

BlueShaver likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Different razor, but it has a similar open end ball handle................

1921-1929 Old Type open ball.jpg

Chuck Naill and Hembree like this.
  4. BlueShaver

Interesting!

Perhaps my set is very early?

Also, i like your Sig. :)

5. brit

brit in a box

does yours have french on the baseplate and case.it it does it's a #44 for the french market.if not it's still a 44 .cool set sir..:).all the french ones had the hole at the bottom of the handle.the english ones had the hole capped.

joshsmith likes this.
  6. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Nice find! I would call your set #44. Gillette makes many matches this time. Here is another set with hollow handle:

[​IMG]

7. BlueShaver

Ha ! there ya go lol. You do have every Gillette on the planet!

I have to say, i am quite smitten with mine. It is a lovely set and i can't wait to use it (once my ongoing 30DC is over :sad038: )