Is This A Good Hone Combination?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jim99, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Question for all of you that hone your own straight razors...

I've been SR shaving since late January and have picked up a couple of no-name hones to maintain my razors. One is a combination 3k / 8k that I think leaves much to be desired. I have a C-nat that was labeled as 12k. For the most part, I've been okay with with the results. However, I think I'm now ready to step up to some better hones and I'm considering the following:

Norton Combo 4k / 8k
    Shapton Ceramic Kuromaku 12k

What do you think? Will these stones give me satisfactory results?

Thanks,
    Jim

Kizurra, twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  2. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I cannot say anything about the Shapton as I have never used their stones. I know many SR enthusiasts rave about the Shapton Glass stones. In so far as the Norton 4k/8k combo stone goes, it should work just fine. I started on a Norton combo and quickly learned it was much less the tools then then user that was the issue. My Norton is an Italian manufactured 4k side and a USA made 8k side. The 4k side to me always felt gritty but did the job.

I have since moved to the Naniwa 3k/8k combo stone. Is it any better then the Norton? Who knows, probably not. I personally just like "feel" of the stone more then the Norton.

All of that to say, the Norton is a fine stone for you to use and a true workhorse that started many a "honer" on their addicti...... err, hobby.

Kizurra, 45auto, twhite and 3 others like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Honestly @Jim99 I stopped recommending the Norton 4/8 some years ago when the 4k became so erratic in performance
    The 8k is solid as always :)

I think the best performance to be had out there right now to start with is the Naniwa SS

1-3-8-12k will handle any SR honing you can throw at it some say 1-5-8-12 but I think the 3 k is a better choice for new honers
    The 12k finisher is hard to beat at any price with any stone

Anyway that has been my goto recommendation for a couple of years now for starting out

4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Use a 1k, 3k, 5k 8k, 12k Naniwa Super Stone Progression..Great Performers..Very Consistent Results & as they Say in Sunny Scotland Offer a "Belter of an Edge"...:)

Billy..:chores016:

5. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

That's precisely why I transitioned to the Naniwa 3k/8k stone. Thanks Glen for your advice on that.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I use a very similar progression for the synthetic route. Instead of the Naniwa SS 1k , I opt for the Chosera Pro 1k for two reasons: 1. I like the speed and feel of the Chosera; 2. I broke my powder-blue Naniwa 1k attempting to remove it from the base....:eek:
    I'll insert the green Naniwa SS 10k between the 8 & 12k in the progression. Essential? probably not, but since I have it, I use it. Uber-smooth stone, too.

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'm looking on SharpeningSupplies.com and just added the 1k, 3k, 8k and 12k Naniwa SS. They're not cheap, but I know they're great stones that will last me for years to come.

Without sounding cheap, what do you think of the Naniwa 1k / 3k combination stone? I do see that the combo is only 2 1/2" wide and that is a drawback.

btw, thanks everyone for the advice so far.

Kizurra, Billyfergie and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Are you talking about the Economical Combination stones? I don't think those are the same thing as the SS series.

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I just went back and checked. It is their Economical Combination Stone. I see that it is not of the same construction as the SS.

Kizurra, Billyfergie and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Okay, I just pulled the trigger on the Naniwa SS 1k, 3k, 8k and 12k stones. I'm definitely looking forward to receiving these in the mail in the next few days so that I can put some nice new edges on my SRs. I think these will keep my SRs in tip top shape for years to come.

Thanks for all of your advice! Now, if you guys could only help me convince my wife that I really don't have a sickness!

Kizurra, 45auto, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  11. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

But you do :p

You have a serious case of HAD, unfortunately I do not know of a cure, I have however found that a dose of "NewStone" will lessen the symptoms when they grow unbearable

Good Luck with it

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I use Norton 1-4-8, then apatche strata finisher. It's all i have. Please don't talk me into thinking i need more. If I take my time, hold my jaw just right, sometimes stand on one foot, my edges seem to be plenty sharp, sometimes they pop hairs, sometimes they need a bit more work to pop hairs.

mrchick, Kizurra, 45auto and 4 others like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

So, Doctor Sixgun, I have a case of RAD, SAD and now HAD? How often do I take a dose of NewStone and in what quantities? Do I have to live with these dreaded diseases the rest of my life???

:rofl:

Aw, come on! You're ready to take the plunge!

I'll send you the link to where I just bought mine!

mrchick, George X, Kizurra and 6 others like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Oops! I forgot about my BAD! I've got that too!

Kizurra and twhite like this.
  15. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Many razors finish pretty nicely at the 8K level. A lot of my older Sheffields are either coti finished or 8K Norton. Of course there is no shortage of hones at my house, and I choose those finishes for those razors, it's not like I'm stuck there. If you really like honing, learning a new hone is great fun. I have enough that there are several that I have not yet learned. Part of the problem with HAD is moving on to the next one too soon. I think meets are great for sampling hones and learning. The best place of all to share gear and learn new stuff. As far as a 2 1/2" wide hone goes it should not be an issue. Most times that is all of the hone I am using anyway, and I am quite content with a 2x7. The foundation of every edge is the bevel set. Which will put most of the development of your edge development at the 1K and 3K levels.

mrchick, Kizurra, twhite and 2 others like this.
  16. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Economical combination stones from Naniwa?...do tell please.

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

They're actually called that! It's true!

18. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Those stones are made to hone Japanese sushi knives...

Kizurra, Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  19. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

I am quite obviously the wrong person to ask :p

I have issues

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RezDog, mrchick, George X and 10 others like this.
  20. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Glen I see no issues....it seems you have plenty of stones!

How long have you been honing?

Kizurra, Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.