Is this really a shaving scuttle?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Epimetheus, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

What is this?
    It is listed as a shaving scuttle. It not remotely like any scuttle I have seen.

It is tall and thin and the drain is not a set of holes but a free-form opening to the base. The underside has no markings at all. It does not look particularly old, it certainly looks peculiar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robyflexx, mikewood and NapalmCola like this.
  2. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

We need Jay with the cat filing his nails....very interesting. Can't wait to find out what it is and it's purpose.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zinteresting.jpg
    There you go. Now, maybe someone else can shed some light on this thing.

4. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

5. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Surprised no one else answered this before now. It is indeed an old-fashioned scuttle (although I can't make any judgement as to how old it actually is.) Fill the bottom with hot water, load your brush with soap, dip it into the hot water as needed, and face lather. Rest your brush in the top area while shaving. Any dripping from the brush is captured in the bowl, and steam from the water helps to keep your brush warm.

6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Pretty neat looking :)

7. Epimetheus

Cool. I am going to contact the person and see if it is available. A brush rest.

Does that imply our thought of the traditional shaving scuttle is wrong? Most discussions place the soap in an upper depression pierced with holes. Is it simply an area to rest the messy brush?

8. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

My understanding is that this scuttle is a variation on that. This piece would be suitable for you if you keep your soap in a mug. Think of these scuttles as early shaving gadgets. Many people didn't have hot running water, so would use a scuttle to hold hot water for their shave.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Just to add to the above:
    This type of scuttle is used when you are face lathering. It is not used for building the lather in the scuttle.

JBSharp likes this.
  10. Epimetheus

Good info, thank you. The seller relisted it on request and it is on its way.

I think that completes the shaving mug set for this year - one each of the styles open cup, divided cup, teapot, horn bowl, and now "flower vase". Can't think of a proper name for the last type.

It does not matter they are not fine china collectables. They are attractive and functional, sorta like a spouse should be. (Not sure if I meet that criteria.)

NapalmCola and JBSharp like this.