It is official!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Sejanus, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

If I don't post for like.. a couple of hours (aside from night times) You know my practice did not go well. :rofl

Oh and I am going for one of Bill's soon too. I have one I am looking at now.. just waiting for the extra cash to pull it off.

2. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

i bolded the section I find... :think002

3. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

This is wonderful!
    The best piece of advice I received was to "focus on thechnique"
    Which means to not be concerned with the results of the shave but the shave itself. With all the new contortions and movements..

BEST WISHES
    You have some WOW!!!! Equipment for it.
    That DOVO is VERY nice

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I too am making my first foray into striaghts with a Dovo black handle 5/8" full holow ground and an Illinois Razor strop from Knifecenter. What type of oil would you use on it? I understand that one must use oil on a straight when not using it for a while.

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi JB,

I think some folks use Mineral oil or Camelia (Sp) oil, I think if you dry your razor off and let it sit out over night in a dry location you should not have any troubles..

Try to avoid storage in a damp or humid environment.

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Thanks pardon this is exactly what I needed to know. Does any one have any words of encourgaement or otherwise for one switching from a double edge?

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

Shave carefully :D

Best,
    Pardon

8. xChris

xChris Member

Be patient while learning your technique. Focus on getting down the motions and contortions first, and go with the grain only for the first couple of weeks (no need to get cut, or get razor burn, right away).

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I did my second shave today, adding the strop technique to it.

I am not sure if it was the stropping or that I got a better idea of what I am doing but the whole shave was MUCH better and quicker. I did two WTG passes only and while there was some irritation there was ZERO blood.

Can't wait for the next one. :D

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice work Ken :D, you'll have it down in no time :cool:

11. goatshaver

goatshaver New Member

I just spotted this thread and am glad you finally came around to shaving straight, not just thinking straight!:D

12. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

:rofl:rofl

Thanks.

13. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Do any other DE users have this problem while shaving with a straight. I shave one side of my face then without rinsing or wiping the blade try to shave the other side of my face. And I end up with a smear of black stubble down my cheek. :sick007

14. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Why would you not rinse/wipe the blade?

15. goatshaver

goatshaver New Member

What he said.

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have managed a very presentable first straight shave with the help of Dr. Moss and his instruction book. I managed to get a way with three cuts and one of them because, for some odd reason I bagged the blade into the side of my ear. Did not damage the ear but got a cut at the base of it. From the looks of Dr. Moss's book I need to stretch my skin a bit more tomorrow morning. This will be a bit more challenging on Monday morning, since I do not have the time that I do on the week-ends.

I will throw in a question so that I can learn all that I can from forum members: How frequently do you hone your straight? I do not own a hone as yet, I thought that I would practice with the strop and the blade before I got down to the honing process.

17. xChris

xChris Member

Honing frequency is relative: razor material/condition, stropping technique, beard type, how often the razor is used. However, it'll probably be at least a couple of months before you have to hone your razor.

18. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Yay! Ken lives! Glad it went okay for you. The shaves will only get better! :D

19. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I'll be fine man, don't you worry! ;)

20. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

With a DE I am accustomed to going from one side of my face to the other and simply spinning the razor to get the clean side. A few times I have absent mindedly done the same with the straight.