It is to laugh

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Oct 18, 2007.

  1. jbcohen

    jbcohen New Member

    I gave my father a 50s super speed for his birthday just past. This is a man who used a super speed for thirty years before using those terrible cartridge razors. Seeing this thing he attempted to twist the top of the razor off before I siezed it and showed him that you twist the knob at the bottom. :rofl Evidently he thought he was holding a three piece. I will demonstrate the differences the next time I see him with a super speed in one hand and my speedway in the other hand. :rofl
  2. Bronco

    Bronco Mac Daddy

    Good job jb! I'm sure it will all come back to him with a little help from you.
  3. Woknblues

    Woknblues New Member

    nice, I am looking to do an intervention with my old man soon, too. He also used a DE like Grandpa did up until the late 70's..... I might just start him off with a brush and soap though, just to ease him in first.
  4. jbcohen

    jbcohen New Member

    When you do use the same type of Double edge that he use for thirty years. My old man needs to get a brush then he is on his way.
  5. qhsdoitall

    qhsdoitall Wilbur

    Unfortunately, both my maternal and paternal grandfathers have passed away and my father passed away 33 years ago. I still have my current father-in-law. I'm not sure if my previous father-in-law is still living. Great guy though. Anyway, when my current father-in-law came out to visit he got to see my wet shaving in action. Brought back some memories for him but he hates change. It's a can of Barbasol and a Gillette disposable twin blade for him.
  6. jbcohen

    jbcohen New Member

    IF he hates change, why then did he change. I take it that he was wet shaving before he took up those terrible disposables. If he hates change why then the change to the disposables?
  7. TraderJoe

    TraderJoe Pink Floid

    Few ideas:

    1) The canned-crap was heavily marketed as making things easier/faster. This caught on rapidly and shavers began ditching the brush and lathering cream, soap

    2) The canned-crap is no good for a DE, so the heavily marketed disposables were given a shot and most stuck with them
  8. jbcohen

    jbcohen New Member

    So obviously he is willing to change if one hits him over the head hard enough and enough times he will change. I guess what you need to do is to yell loud enough at him enough times to get the change through his head.
  9. qhsdoitall

    qhsdoitall Wilbur

    Because he was much younger and impressionable. He bought into the whole marketing thing. Now he just wants to join his wife in heaven instead of improving his life.
  10. Racso_MS

    Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

    There are a lot of gullible people in this world no matter the age...

    Why else would there be five bladed razors and fools crazy enough to buy refill cartidges for $16.00...

    Go figure...
  11. jbcohen

    jbcohen New Member

    I know a man that is gulible like that, who works out in the gym I go to during the week days and he says that he is willing to shell out that much dollars that terrible items becuase he precives the product to be newer. For him one could get him to pay double that amount if one re-released the Trac II and made the price double the Fusion prices. He would buy the Trac II becuase he precieves it to be newer.
  12. Woknblues

    Woknblues New Member

    I have met many people of the same mind as that. it's the fool's way of "Keeping up with the Joneses". Some people swear by that. I say "let em'"

    having said that, I don't bother converting anyone to DE.... The truly interested will find it if they care, the others.... well, they will just miss out. Or maybe, just maybe, they found what works for them. When I get asked about it, I just smile and say, "You really want to know?" 95% say, "nah, not really. ", the other 5% say, "yeah, sure" and of those 5%, I am batting 1000... I have never described the process to anyone that did not go on to change some aspects of their shaving technique or tools. And each one has always thanked me for it. Even a puck of williams and a burma brush is a victory, as far as I am concerned. A person makes a point of using a hot towel or a shower before starting their shave? Makes me feel like Sitting Bull at the battle of Little Bighorn..;)

Share This Page