It's official, I'm a Synthetic Brush guy now

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by gwsmallwood, Aug 7, 2015.

1. radmit

radmit Well-Known Member

I have a L'Occitane Plisson and I love it. Its fantastic and has become my daily brush, will definitely be buying another Synthetic. Considering a Whipped Dog or a Muhle

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I only have two synths, but appreciate the heck out of both of them. I have a Kent Infinity Silvertex that serves as my dopp kit brush, and a Jack Black Pure Performance, for when I'm feeling opulent ;). If you haven't, take a look at the JBPP. Pricey, but one heck of a nice brush.

[​IMG]

Dzia Dzia and BamaT like this.
  3. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Probably about to find some mushrooms.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

They better look out for the snake!

5. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it...

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I just got my first synthetic, a Stirling, and I have to say: I have been missing out. It does a great job of whipping lather and has a nice combination of back bone and softness. I'll probably look to pick up another synthetic or two.

Tdmsu and GDCarrington like this.
  7. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

8. gregcss

gregcss Member

I dont own either but there is a lot of praise for the WD brushes.

9. K0pp3r

K0pp3r New Member

If I remember correctly, the Chiseled Face 28mm knots are the Plisson-like knots from the Reddit group buy.
    I just picked my 28mm knot off of a vendor that bough too many. Got it for $5 shipped, then bought a 30mm WD black marbled handle. Once the epoxy cured I used it and it was the best brush I've used to date. Nice backbone but super soft.

Updated with pic. Omega boar brush included on the left for size comparison.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    BamaT, PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

How far did you sink the knot and what is your actual loft after glue bump? Also, any special technique required to get the knot to fit in Larry's handle? I was thinking about putting one in my VDH handle but if I can't drill it out enough I may need a backup plan.

11. K0pp3r

K0pp3r New Member

Knot is sunk at the standard 10mm. Epoxy used was Loctite Marine, and I didn't use any special technique. It actually fit quite well in the handle. One the epoxy cured, it (obviously) doesn't move around at all. Nice backbone to it, but super soft tips. More pics included for size comparison. Also you can see it compared to my other brushes. It's a larger brush, but not that bad.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

GDCarrington, RaZorBurn123 and BamaT like this.
  12. K0pp3r

K0pp3r New Member

I guess I should add that the VDH handles are hollow. The re-using of them for a different knot isn't recommended. Just get a WD handle.

13. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

While I do like my badger brushes, I am finding that I like my synthetic even more so. It's soft, not prickly, and holds its shape when lathering and holds lather good.

It's not a fancy or high dollar synthetic but works good for me. I will be doing more brushes with synthetics.
    TGN in ever ready 300N
    [​IMG]

14. molon_labe

molon_labe Member

I have Chiseled face 24mm and 28mm knots that I'm just waiting on some WD handles to set them in. The WD 24mm synthetic I've been using for the past 2 weeks has really changed my opinion on sythetic brushes. I'm really eager to give these CF knots a try.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the club!

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I use synthetics on my head as they feel great---not enough backbone for my face.

17. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

I love my stirling brush. Got the crown king brush and I'm really really liking it. 20$ can't beat it.

18. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

Do synthetic brushes shed like badger brushes?
    I have a WD 22mm silver tip that leaves me with the soap and sink littered with badger hair. I've only used it 10 months. My drug store Burma brush does not shed but it's too big don't know the knot size. 22mm-24mm seems right to me.

Any recommendations?

19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Not in my experience.

20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

If they do you've probably got a bad knot.