January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

seeing as how most of my shaving was with the Shick Injectors, which really are quite mild, and to my way of thinking, mostly idiot proof (I can use them... see what I mean?:rofl:), I really don't know how much more unforgiving the SE is compared to the DEs. (The shick krona was my gateway drug, which I only used for a few weeks) AS per today's shave, I see that technique with the SE is more important, compared to the injectors. This IS what I signed up for.... as CD Carrington regularly suggests. Besides, I need to get really good at SE shaves for when my 1914 comes in! The less steep angle meant more close shave, with some irritation, but no damage done.

Troy M likes this.
  2. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Alright. I've decided my whole line up for the month

Razor: Merkur 23c
    Blade: Astra SP
    Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip
    Soap: Geo F Trumper's Coconut soap
    Post: RazoRock Alum Stick, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Pinaud Clubman

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    January 1, 2015
    Happy 2015!
    Prep: Hot shower. Axe Shield Face Wash
    Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant
    Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow
    Brush: Omega 10066
    Lather: Shannon's Soap Silk Pajamas
    Aftershave: AV Ice Sport. Axe Shield Sensitive
    The Gillette Yellow blades are my favorites from Gillette, smooth and sharp. If your looking for a really good inexpensive boar brush checkout the Omega 10066 $9. SS Silk Pajamas is a soap I neglected in 2014! Wow! This is a great performing soap. I've read a lot of reviews on the RRSS, one thing that is mentioned is the constant need to rinse off the head, I don't find that to be an issue.
    Go out and get it!
    image.jpg

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

January 1st SOTD (Shave 4 of the challenge)
    Razor & Blade: '63 Gillette Slim and Gillette Platinum
    Second shave on this blade, Setting 3 on the razor
    Brush & Bowl: Semogue 1460 brush and hand thrown soup bowl with flat bottom and ridges
    Soap & Aftershave: Maggard Orange Menthol
    Prep: No shower, face wash and homemade shave oil

I had a great shave yesterday with zero irritation. It might have made me overconfident. I used a little dryer brush than normal today, and got almost perfect lather.
    IMG_0968.JPG
    Question, this is the first time I have used a soap that didn't come in a puck. Am I supposed to leave the lid off until the soap dries, or just cap it after I load my brush?

I choked up on the razor, and was holding it with three fingers just below the adjustment dial. I tried to scrub along the jawline in addition to the spots on my neck, and have irritation, but no weepers. The alum block suggested I should calm down a bit. Overall, shave was passible. Visibly good, but not a DFS. I think I will wait my normal two days again before I go for the next shave.

5. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Alright,
    Day 1 BSG

Prep: Shower, Proraso Pre
    Soap: Arko
    Blade: 7'oclock SharpEdge (yellow)
    Razor: Ball End Tech
    Brush: 24mm WD Black Badger

Great shave today, I did 3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG for a nearly perfect shave. I was very happy with the results and I have very little irritation. This was the 2nd day for this blade so I think I'm going to replace the blades after 2 shaves for the rest of the 30 days.

6. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I use a razor and blade combo exclusively for a month at a time. However, I often switch up brushes, soaps/creams and AS/ASB weekly, sometimes every couple of days. Any latitude here or is it exclusively 1 set-up for the entire month? Don't plan on shaving today..............

fimpster and Troy M like this.
  7. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

1/1/2015 (Shave 2 of 30 day exercise)
    Pre - Hot Shower/Axe Chilled Cooling Facial Wash
    Razor - Parker 99R
    Blade - Wilkinson Swords Classic
    Brush - Parker Rosewood Boar Brush
    Soap - Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Soap
    Post - Cold Water Rinse/Styptic Pen/Cold Water Rinse

Another really nice shave today with the Parker 99R with Wilkinson blades. I did 3 passes again. No blood from nicks this time. I did however use a styptic pen and could tell I'm still too aggressive with the parker on my neck for sure. Looking forward to the next shave already :)

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy New Year everyone!!

1/1/2015 BSG 30 Day - Day 1

Prep - Hot Shower, nice steam and a hot towel to finish.
    Razor - 1918 Gillette Old Style
    Blade - Voskhod (1)
    Brush - Omega 48
    Soap - Proraso Green
    Post - Cold Water Rinse, Cold towel, Final dry, Clubman on face only.

I broke down my "regulars" to clean and loaded up the '18 with a fresh Voskhod. See what this thing can do after years in storage. My first encounter with an OC so changed my routine a bit. Showered and prepped first then shaved at the sink. (Normally shave in the shower) I wanted to be able to take my time and work on technique.
    Good lather from the Omega, everything felt good, looked good and away we go.
    First pass wasn't bad though it took a couple of tries to find the right angle, but the audio on this thing is awesome. When you hit the sweet spot you know it. WTG face and neck, not as close as I thought it might be but that's due to working on angle.
    Rinsed, XTG was good on both cheeks and then we went to the neck. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Photo evidence below for the brave. Left side not too bad, right side ended in disaster. I got tentative coming across with it and tensed a bit, pressure, bad adjustment, and that's what you get.
    Rinsed, assessed damage, nothing bleeding worth talking about in spite of all that, so went for the ATG but chose to keep it above the neckline. All went well.
    Ended with a DFS on face, not so much on neck but on two passes not terrible either except for the meat grinder.
    Rinsed with cold then used a cold towel to soak my neck, applied Clubman to face only. It reminded me I had been a bit heavy handed there too.

Lots of learning in such a short time.
    BSG Day 1.jpg Ouch.jpg

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

1/1/2015

Shave #3 for the #30DayChallenge
    Prep: hot shower and Cornhusker's Lotion
    Lather: Klar's Kabinett
    Brush: Vie-Long 13061M horsehair brush
    Razor: Gillette New LC
    Blade: Voskhod Teflon (3)

3 passes and on to New Year's Day! Have a great year in all you do!

[​IMG]

brit, Bristle Me, Boojum1 and 6 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Noticing how the beard grows back as a way to evaluate...very clever!

jakie55 likes this.
  11. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Day 1 - Thirty Days with Merkur 34c (Jan 1-Feb 4 [No shave on Saturdays]) BSG 1-1-2015

Hot Shower and Prep - Nivea Men Sensitive Skin Face Wash & Wm. Neumann & Co. Peppermint Leaf Bar Soap
    Razor Merkur 34c
    Blade Astra SP (1)
    Brush - Plisson Synthetic
    Lather - Poraso Green
    Post - Warm & cool water rinse, WH & RazoRock "Problem Solver" AS splash

3 pass shave WTG, XTG & ATG + a few touch ups on neck and jawline. 97% BBS - No nicks or weepers but a little irritation. I need to really be careful with the pressure and possibly an issue with doing 3 passes two days in a row. I plan to review Mantic59's video on dealing with neck issues. I will stick with just 2 passes tomorrow.

SOTD Day 1.jpg

12. Bama Samurai

I hope you can design a thirty day exercise and join in! Latitude here is warranted...I wrote about latitude here. The idea is to spend a month doing a technique exercise...an experienced shaver has different needs/objectives than a true newbie. Come join in the fun!

TrentRTR likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Can you link up that video on this thread? 29 more great practice days left!

14. Bama Samurai

That's a great first day actually...take it easy, 29 more great practice days left!

NCoxSTL likes this.
  15. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

You keep displaying that brush and I'm going to have to give in and buy one.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Are you using the pen as if it were an Alum Block?

Tip: holding the razor near the head yields control and less pressure. Gripping the razor closer to the end of the handle tends to add pressure. Be sure to experiment with grip positioning. Shaving the neck is tricky at first...

TrentRTR likes this.
  19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I try to oblige! You don't have to thank me. ;)

I must say that it is my favorite brush. I had a cheap badger I purchased from Stirling and I didn't like it all. I have a good Omega 10066 that has broken in well and it is a fine brush as well, but just doesn't have quite the same feel as the horsehair. I also have a BodyShop synthetic that is sort of fun but I have only used it a few times.

On a related note, I learned my first good lesson today from this 30 day challenge. The main thing I am isolating is the razor and blade. The Klar Kabinett soap has been a consistent since I started using it and the brush is great. I did change out the aftershave today and discovered 2 issues. First, my wife does not like it at all so that is equal to 2 1/2 strikes. Second, this is the first product I've used that caused a reaction. It kept burning for the next hour or so and I went and looked and I have red dots in several places. That is the final half strike and it is out of the den! So it will be going away. Look for a PIF in the coming day or two.:cool:

20. Bama Samurai

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.