January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Nice photo work today!:happy088:

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

I got such a kick out if visualizing BBS as a parabolic function approaching a limit at an asymptote! Thanks for the giggles today!

maltedmilk likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Sometimes counterintuitive holds...that's why we do 30 Day rules!

4. Bama Samurai

Nice work...you want smooth consistent results! We will await a full report!;)

txskimo likes this.
  5. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the info. I just placed an order for the Alum and I already have an appointment for my annual physical first of Feb. I will bring up my issue then.

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

SOTD January 10, 2015

This is the ninth day of my 30-day adventure to improve my shaving skills using the Mongoose. Preshave consisted of a warm shower using Cetaphil face wash. I used my Kent BK4 brush and face lathered using Mike's Natural Soap and a few drops of glycerin.

The Feather blade (considered by some to be a Gem of a blade) on day six easily mowed through my stubble. This was the week's first three-pass plus touch-up shave - no nicks or irritation! All but the most discriminating babies would be jealous of my smooth skin! I finished with Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel, unrefined shea butter, and a splash of Clubman.

It's Saturday! Gotta go...the cartoons will be on soon! :happy093:

SOTD_011015_2.jpg

Bristle Me, 45auto, MoAllen and 10 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congratulations Clint! You seem to have dialed in your technique with the Mongoose! My experience has been quite similar. :happy088:

Bama Samurai and clint64 like this.
  8. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    What's this?!? Just drag it through an old wine cork?

First I've heard of that. Cool!

9. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

Shave 6 of 30 day BSG

Shower - Hot Shower/Axe Chilled Cooling Face Wash
    Prep - Corn Huskers Lotion
    Razor - Parker 99R
    Blade - Wilkinson Swords Classic
    Brush - Parker Rosewood Boar Brush
    Soap - Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Soap
    Post - Cold Water Rinse/Crystal Deodorant/Clubman AS/Real Shaving Co. Post Shave Soothing Balm

Had planned to go to the Roffler Shop here in town this weekend for a straight razor shave. It didn't work out this weekend. So I got to get in shave 6 of my 30 rule. I added some corn huskers to the preshave (smells like a hospital room) it is slick stuff. Felt like I was rubbing astroglide on my face lol. It really seemed to help with the shave. Also, as a guy that generally has not used AS in my adult life I decided to pick up some Clubman. I liked the smell. I can see myself adding AS's as we go on this journey for sure. I had a really nice shave today after about 4 days of growth. I did 3 full passes and chased the baby with spot work. Felt the burn from the alum afterwards too lol!!!! I'm noticing last few shaves that the proraso gets kind of for lack of a better term kind of gummy on first pass. Maybe I'm taking too much time lathering my face and its drying underneath? No weepers though and my angle is staying true. The fact that I'm now not trying to find the angle each time is making this much more enjoyable. I did not achieve BBS but got a DFS for sure. Have a great weekend Gents!!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

1/9/15 - BSG - RESET Day 5

Prep - Hot Shower, towel soak
    Brush - Omega 48
    Soap - Proraso Green
    Razor - '46/'47 Aristocrat
    Blade - Voskhod (2)
    Post - Pinaud Clubman

Day 5 of the reset, 10 of the original 30. Another good shave, better on the neck area after two passes, just an ATG there to clean up and I was set for the day. Trying to get to a 2 pass DFS all over in the next few days.

BSG Reset Day 5.jpg

11. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

image.jpg 30 Day Challenge
    5 Month noobie.

Prep: Hot shower Nivea Face Wash
    Brush: WD 22mm
    Soap: C.O. Bigelow
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue
    Razor: Gillette Ball Tech 1951

I have not had time to post the last couple days. Today's shave was a three pass for two days growth. It was my best shave with this razor not even a hint of irritation with the alum block. I definitely won't need three pass's tomorrow. I'm really liking this razor and blade combo.

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

While I still love my LC New and have used it for months at a clip in the past, I have had enough with it this time. My preference has been for a more mild razor recently and I am heading back to the Weber PH Bulldog tomorrow. Everything else will remain the same, but my face isn't happy with even a minor bit of razor burn in this sub-arctic weather. Good luck with your 30 days.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

@wristwatchb I'm truly amazed at how easy the Mongoose is to use. It's nice that 2 or 3 of us are getting to know the razor at the same time.

14. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I'm trying to spend the least amount of money on extra stuff this month but yall are making me really want to try bay rum. For me old spice is hard to beat just because that's what my grandpaw used and he always let me have some growing up.

15. Bama Samurai

Make sure your brush and face are both sufficiently wet when starting! Congrats on your angles, once you figure that out, things improve rapidly!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    TrentRTR likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Old Spice is the only one I am not allowed, per Mrs. Samurai! Use OS if you can!

TrentRTR likes this.
  17. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

The first time you rinse the alum off with cold water your face will feel like like it never has before. It's great lol.

TrentRTR and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

01/10 – Day 8 with the Weishi

Objective: Survive a month using low end entry level products.
    • Growth: 1 day
    • Prep: Hot shower; Corn Huskers Lotion AKA the poor man's Astroglide HAHAHAHA
    • Lather: Arko – Face lathered
    • Brush: Escali Badger
    • Razor: Weishi 9306/Microtouch One
    • Blade: Derby Extra (1)
    Today’s Results: Using the Weishi is becoming almost like second nature now. The only thing that holds this setup back is the lack of really close shaves. After the 30 days is up I plan on using the Weishi with a few other blade types. Voskhod, Astra SP, Personna Lab Blue, and maybe a few others. I keep wanting to blame the Derby blades but maybe it’s just this very mild razor.

Anyway, real nice shave today. Everything went smooth. No weepers, cuts, or irritation. I mixed up the AS and used the Dove today - real nice buttery cream feel to it. Sorry but no picture again today as it’s been a bit hectic lately. Will try better the next time.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

There is a drawback in so much as you could lose a shave or two depending upon the blade. SE blades tend to have a longer life than DEs due to the thiokness of the blade so some people feel it is worth it.

20. Bama Samurai

Day 8 Lab Report - 30 Day Rule with a Slim BSG

I spent another shave with the razor on 6. I got an acceptable 2+ DFS, but the line where neck meets jaw is sore again. I am thinking of taking the razor up to setting seven for the neck tomorrow, and seeing if more aggressive blade plus less pressure solves it. The irritation clears up an hour or two after the shave, and there is no redness or inflammation, but it's just not quite right. The TSD iced Floid did feel great on the neck today. Also making lather this week has been harder than usual, the water is different...basically just an average shave. Blah.

Bristle Me, 45auto, Jostalli and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.